Wednesday 2nd June

Comments

• Monique superb! well done I can't run that fast without the cycling added in
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done M. on the new job!

FG-lol loved your report and great running on your part!

Monique-well done, you did brilliantly to claw back so many places-excellent 5k time! Mind I wouldn't mind your 10k time either!:o)
  • Afternoon all,

Great reports (and performances) from FG and Monique

What: Gym session done, Yateley 10k tonight (work permitting)
    Why: first ‘race’ for 6 months! Time to test the calf / achilles to see how it responds. Will try to run it as a controlled / tempo effort – expect to clock about 45 minutes.

Have a good one
  • Monique, that 5k time is excellent in its' own right, never mind after a 10k and a bike ride.

• What: Walking up Cerro Otto and back (when the cloud lifts a little)
    Why: It´s a mountain and there´s no snow for skiing

Congrats on teh new job, M.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What - 2 hours on bike (not done it yet - just out the door now while it is hot)
    Why - In Sheffield the next 2 days so it'll be running only for both of them - then I've got 100 mile audax in the Peak District on the Saturday. Cycling and running seem to be either/or at the moment - should really combine them a bit for duathlon training.

So it's just me that's running slower then!! I'll put it down to the break rather than the cycling in that case.

Good going Monique - the run and the bike don't look too out of balance to me but obviously they are given your relative position in each, are the results on the web anywhere to have a look ? What sort of average would you hope for that sort of distance - keep it above 20 or a bit more?
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Just back from 4 miles so total for today 13 miles back on target;-)

Thanks Speedie do you have to programme battery useage? I better read instructions;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • FG, great going mate, that's a cracking run.

Monique, HOLY MACKEREL, great result overall and an astonishingly quick finishing 5k - awesome.
  • FG, loved your race report...really good run.
    Monique, INSPIRING stuff!

What: rest day
    Why: wed.
    Last hard: yesterday
  • Wotcha.

Today, a little cricket. Watching the knee closely.

Great stuff, Monique. Not to worry about the bike - it's a far inferior discipline to running. ;-)

Tim - no, looks like Amsterdam's out, unless I start feeling a bit less cautious. Might consider the half, but unlikely.

Have fun.
  • first post since last thurs
    been livin it up in sunny filey for the bank hols
    done nothing since last thurs
    nice and easy week ready for a race sun
    dont know what fitness ive lost so???
    dont knOw wether to do
    WOODHALL SPA HALF(LINCOLN)
    OR
    RIVER BANK CHALLENGE(GOOLE)
    any body got any preference???
    WELL DONE TO ALL RACERS OVER THE LAST 5 DAYS
  • Great reporting from FG and Monique, inspiring stuff.

Today’s lyrics are from “Running on empty” which clearly many of you aren’t.

Off for a session in the pool – good luck to those racing this evening.
  • afternoon all

nice race reporting FG and monique!

have been out enjoying my last day of freedom as my new employer has confirmed i am to start at 9am tomorrow - no more lie ins for me :-)

what: my first cycling TT with the tri club tonight. its 10.25 miles and i am sooooo nervous - just have visions of everyone being much much quicker than me. not that it matters much if they are i suppose! but anyway - the idea is to get a target time and then work over the summer to improve it.
    why: i signed up for an olympic tri in a moment of madness - and now i'm having to learn to cycle properly.
    last hard: monday
    last rest: yesterday
  • Go for it M, just remember that a TT at that distance is meant to hurt (but will be over quite quickly).

I think that you might suprise yourself with your time - you´ve been improving a lot recently.

Just been down the pool to do two sets of 50/100/150/200 with 15 secs recovery and was so much faster than last week and broke my '100m pb' twice - I´m still slow, but the swimming is coming along really well
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

FG - great racing. love the quote
    Monique - words simply cannot express

Well another 6 miles done and dusted very warm out. But i survived.

• Good luck M - look forward to reading ya report and as Lizzy said TTs are meant to hurt!

Lizzy well done too on your swim times!

Second session done today another 5 miles in the bank and happy with todays efforts - really going to focus on my diet now, feel thats my weak area!

Off shortly to see Day after tomorrow

enjoy ya evening all
  • 4 miles to gym, stretches and armweights, 4 miles back home.

Mileage building is going well at the moment.

Trying to stick to 3 units or less of alcohol every day (sob).
  • Thanks for the invite BR but im working on Sunday Im afraid.

Let me know how everyone gets on though.

This evenings session was a short jog to the local park and 4 half mile reps. 1 and 3 are slightly uphill and 2 and 4 are slightly downhill. Its been a long time since I was in the habit of training twice a day so for now I'll hold the number of reps at that and look to increase them from next month.

Put in an entry for the Pudsey 10k on the 25th of July and I'll look throught the online entry races and see if I can find any more 5milers/10k's in July.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say

I saw a couple of my neighbours today, who live a bit further down the road
    "Its nice too see you out waliking, it makes a change...

... you're always running"

Hee hee
  • my secretary thinks i walk all my races

i suppose i might as well!
  • Evening all

Well done Monique and FG. Monique - where were you in Belgium?

What: 12 miles very gentle in 1 hour 40 with right calf quite sore

Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest day: 38 days (BR - never mind Ron Hill - this is your territory!)

Simon
  • WP, sounds interesting keep me posted nearer the time. I'll have to be careful as I'm be on my sports massage course then :-)

Great racing from FG and Monique, well done.

Swerve, that's real bad luck.

for me
    12M done tonight in just over 7min miles.

Race well tonight racers!
  • Good thread today - well done to the racing duo.

Did the club 4.2 mile race tonight - was a bit disappointed with my time of 24:26 tonight which was 4 seconds slower than my pb for the course. I was going for a pb tonight, thats why it was a shame. Still , no harm done. Ate 1000000 flies and about the same in my eyes. Lovely.
  • back from TT - it wasn't all that scary after all!

we set off at 30second intervals - i was second off and went haring off trying to catch the girl in front of me. which i did. and was promptly caught by the lad behind me!

it was fun. not very hilly which was nice - although there were a couple of small hills it was nothing major. and i managed 34.54 (17.6mph) which was better than i expected - and i wasn't last either! it did hurt - but not massively and i think now i know what to expect that i'll be able to push myself harder next time. but great great fun.

:-)

• Like Donaldo, 3.75 mile race. Did 21:00 (20:57 last time racing my butt off). Finished 4th. Cruised the last mile as it would not affect finishing order.

Getting a bit fed up of just racing then recovery runs. Need some proper training. However, may need to a race a Northern T+F league on Sat then our Barnsley 5k on Sunday:(
  • Fascinating thread today. Some of you putting in amazing performances.

Me, just 5.5 miles very gentle as part of a "taper" towards Fairford 10K on Sunday. I say taper, but it looks like I'll actually do 6 days on the trot which is more than I would normally do. From last Saturday, I've done: 1hr squash, 9.5 miles steady, 5.5 miles intervals, 5 miles steady, 5.5 miles easy. And I've got another squash match tomorrow.

Still, on the basis that I can then take Friday and Saturday off, I should be ok for Sunday. Looking forward to it.
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    some naff swimming today - session ok but hip problem has put me out - on sunday i'm on an intensive "training for tri day"

so going to rest up till then
  • Well done Monique, particularly on that 5k time! Well done FG, loved the report.

Well done to BR and Donaldo too!

Back from club run. Was invited to run with senior men again, this time made them promise not to leave me behind. They were either true to their word or I'm getting some speed back! Did about 5 miles of a mystery tour, good session.