How do I even start ? I'm scared !

I have recently been insipired by someone who runs 15k regularly and has the requisite self control, passion and determination. I have completely neglected myself since taking up a desk job and I long for the release that I know running can provide. I'm nervous about how to start, psychologically, particularly as I currently smoke. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to beat the fear of complete failure ? What keeps you going when it hurts ?

Comments

• LarsLars ✭✭✭
    Hi Vanessa,

the thing with the starting is, Just do it. Take your trainers, and run around your house. If you can`t run anymore, than walk, and run, when you can again.
    Just run/walk as far as you like or you can/want.

The most important thing is, that you have fun. If you suffer, you don`t do it again. So, start not to hard.

Also, it would be nice for you, to run with company. Ask friends, and even if they are not running, they can join you on a bike. Or find a club with a beginner group. They are always helpfull.

So, have fun with your first running steps, and with your posting here in the forum, you are already an addicted runner! ;-)
  • To quote Confuscus, every journey starts with a single step. If you take that step you have partially succeeded, so the only complete failure is not to take the first step. Being a smoker won't help you run, but it won't stop you. Being a runner will most certainly help you give up smoking. Read the threads about walk-run, and try posting for friendly clubs or a training partner in your area. Do it, take the first step.
  • Vanessa
    Have you tried some of the articles around the site for beginners?

My advice would be to not really think about running first. Realistically how much time effort do you want to put into this? eg an hour once a weekend or once a day. Building yourself up to do something that you won't stick to will only lead to you stopping, feeling down & stopping trying.

So start at the beginning:
    - how far can you walk in half an hour?
    - put some trainers and comfy clothes on and walk it
    - make a note of the date, distance, route & time taken.
    - you've now given yourself a benchmark to work from
    Next day
    - do the same route but aim to do it quicker (not necessarily running)
    - log the session - a personal best already, see you must be good.

Give yourself a couple of days then do the same route again:
    - look to break into a jog (not a sprint) at least once during the session (not right at the start), slow back to walking when it feels uncomfortable (try not to actually stop) - that's a well known running technique called fartlek, see you are a runner already.

Now you've got some idea of how you feel it's time to think of some targets.

How about:
    I will go out twice a week until the end of January
    I will run/walk x miles a month until March
    I will take part in a Race for Life 5k run in spring/summer next year

The secrets are:
    - don't try too hard too quickly
    - we all have setbacks, it isn't a sign of failure
    - walking is a totally legitimate activity during a 'run'
    - set yourself a long term target as well as something to keep up in the short term
    - enjoy yourself - it really is good fun (even on the bad days)

Keeping posting to let everyone know how you are getting on, there's so much advice and support available for people of every conceivable shape, size, background and skill level. You are certainly not the only person starting out, you're in good company.

Good luck

Nick
  • Vanessa
    Have you tried some of the articles around the site for beginners?

My advice would be to not really think about running first. Realistically how much time effort do you want to put into this? eg an hour once a weekend or once a day. Building yourself up to do something that you won't stick to will only lead to you stopping, feeling down & stopping trying.

So start at the beginning:
    - how far can you walk in half an hour?
    - put some trainers and comfy clothes on and walk it
    - make a note of the date, distance, route & time taken.
    - you've now given yourself a benchmark to work from
    Next day
    - do the same route but aim to do it quicker (not necessarily running)
    - log the session - a personal best already, see you must be good.

Give yourself a couple of days then do the same route again:
    - look to break into a jog (not a sprint) at least once during the session (not right at the start), slow back to walking when it feels uncomfortable (try not to actually stop) - that's a well known running technique called fartlek, see you are a runner already.

Now you've got some idea of how you feel it's time to think of some targets.

How about:
    I will go out twice a week until the end of January
    I will run/walk x miles a month until March
    I will take part in a Race for Life 5k run in spring/summer next year

The secrets are:
    - don't try too hard too quickly
    - we all have setbacks, it isn't a sign of failure
    - walking is a totally legitimate activity during a 'run'
    - set yourself a long term target as well as something to keep up in the short term
    - enjoy yourself - it really is good fun (even on the bad days)

Keeping posting to let everyone know how you are getting on, there's so much advice and support available from people of every conceivable shape, size, background and skill level. You are certainly not the only person starting out, you're in good company.

Good luck

Nick
  • Hi Vanessa,

The first thing to know is that you will NOT be a complete failure. Everybody can run, some can run faster than others, some can run further - but EVERYONE can run.

To begin with, if you have not been running recently (or ever), you will find it hard. Your muscles will ache, you will find it hard to breath - you will get a very red face! I'm telling you this because it helped me when someone told me all these things BEFORE I started running. So when all these things happened to ME I knew it was normal. I knew that getting out of breath and having to stop after just 1 or 2 minutes was not abnormal - it just meant I wasn't very fit!

I've been running on and off for about a year now. When I first started I went running with my (previosu) partner who was not fit at all - but she was fitter than me! However, I kept up the running up and she stopped. I can now run for 30-40 minutes without getting out of breath - I never ever thought I would get to this stage.

Trust me, someone who knows, you will not fail!

Big G

PS

Oh, and go on, give up the smoking - you know it makes sense! ;-)
  • sorry about the double post - server problems
  • I started out eight weeks ago, following this schedule http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?SP=&V=1&UAN=30

It really works, I can nowe run non stop for around 30 mins give it a go!!
  • Thanks guys, what a wonderful response ! I used to work out 3-4 times a week, CV and weights, until a car wreck 3 years ago and so... y'know... haven't been back since. I still have a very low resting heart rate so I know I have some vestages of fitness. you're all right, I will do this and start slowly and be kind to myself. I have printed off some of the advice for beginners articles and I will go out for first time tomorrow and let you know how I go. Have a great weekend, all. Ness ps longlegs, i'll check it out !
  • honest to goodness, when i first started running i could run four minutes only before i thought i was gonna collapse (im a smoker), my dad wouldnt believe me when i told him thats all i could do. Then minute by minute i got better, and i still get better and better each time i run. Get your kit on, and run as far as you like, stop before it hurts. Keep on these boards, theyre brilliant !! Good luck!!!
  • I never ran in my life till July. People who know me can't believe that now I can run for an hour without stopping. I still look highly embarrased for hours after I've run, but people have stopped commenting! If I can do it, anyone can. Wanting to is enough!
  • Starting is the hard bit. remember to spend a little time every so often to celebrate your improvement. You will improve, but enjoy that feeling. Thats what keeps you going on tough nights.
  • Vanessa

13 years ago I was an overweight couch potato. I plucked up the courage to go for a 20 minute jog 3 times a week. It was scary at first I must admit!! But then three years ago I entered my first race and have never looked back and this year did myfirst marathon! So start slowly and build gradually and I'm sure you'll find this a sport you'll love.

H-R
  • Being fit doesn't make the first couple of months much easier! Even running for a couple of minutes will probably seem a real struggle to start. It all helps though, and all of a sudden, you'll find you can keep running without having to stop and walk!

• Vanessa,

There are only two things you need to know to change:

1. ANYONE CAN RUN- with the right attitude. I recommend you start with the beginners section on this site. Print out a plan and stick it on your fridge. Cross off your achievements

2.STOPPING SMOKING IS EASY- with the right attitude. Go and buy Alan Carr "The Easy Way to stop smoking". Its about 7 quid. read it and you will stop (www.amazon.co.uk)

Best of luck
  • OK here goes.I have applied to the FLM. I am 46, overweight, female, used to be a runner (20 years ago), can manage a jog. Love it when I go. Hard to motivate myself to go out in the cold,wet, dark. Would love to find a running pal in Bewdley or Kidderminster area... and will I ever lose weight. Seems a catch 22. Hard to run when carrying a couple of extra stone. Hard to lose when not running!!
  • Bondi
    Have you found the daily thread on the Health/Injury forum - great group of people of all standards all dealing with being 'overweight'. Join them they'll ne more than pleased to welcome you
  • Vanessa - you can definately do it. Almost the hardest part is deciding to start - and you've done that. And even if you only manage three minutes on the first day (which was all I could manage), you'll have done three minutes more than the day before. As well as all the other great advice here, I'd suggest you start a running log, starting on day 1. I've found it a brilliant way of staying motivated, and it really proves that you can get better and better over the weeks.
    So come and join us!
  • Thanks for the inspiration everyone. I have been persauded to do some running (for the first time ever) by a friend who did the Great North Run this Oct. Started at 1 1/2 mile cicuit (fairly hilly at one point which i have to walk). Done this now on 5 occasions over the last 2 weeks and it takes me about 15 min.

Keep writing!! I need all the help I can get!!!!!
  • I started running about 1 1/2 years ago, I was a smoker and several stone (not polite to say how many) when I started and decided that I'd start to run but not worry about the smoking until I'd got the hang of running.

This year I finished my second half marathon. I'm no speedy gonzalies but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm now two stone lighter and a non smoker and found myself a gorgeous toyboy, I'm glad I started!

Go on give it a try

• aaah tulips... now there's a reason to start if ever there was one... i think you're right about not setting too many goals to start with. i'm fairly certain that as i begin running the taste for smoking will just dissipate anyway.
  • Hi Vanessa,

Just to let you know that when I started running a year ago, I practically coughed up a lung at the end of a mile and a half jaunt around the block! However with training, I finished the London Marathon in April and ran (slowly, mind) the whole way. Hurrah!

I found that five minutes running followed by a minute walking during training worked a treat to get going and now I'm a regular runner. I'd also recommend finding fellow runners to get you out - I lack motivation to run alone but if I know I'm going to be meeting others I get out there.

Good luck!
  • Hi Abi
    I agree totally with the idea that you have to have a training partner. Although I have only been running for 2 weeks I know that if I wasn't pushed to go by a friend I would stay at home especially as its dark now and the weathers bad.

Hoping to move up to 2 1/2 miles this week from 1 1/2. Not sure if I'm confident about this or not.
  • I'm hooking up with a woman who is local to me. I'm not sure how experienced she is but I'm sure we can push each other on. I've got my shoes now and I'm going for my first run tonight- yippee !!!
  • Abi, I keep reading that you shouldn't increase distance by more than 10% per week, you would be far exceeding that if you pushed up to 2.5 miles from 1.5 so perhaps you should follow the 10% rule ?
  • thanks nick, just got back. sprinting kicked in so ended up quite knackered but at least i ran walked and spat for a mile !
  • HI
    I only started running last December as well and I am slow (11 min miles) but can now keep going for about 8 miles on a good day - so keep it up. I also needed to lose weight and have done some but have got stcuk now - need to lose 1 more to be good weight. These forums are great for encouragin you. I like the beginners bit - some of the others are scary and think that running 10 min miles is slow - I would love to be able to do that!! If I can't go with someone then I go on the treadmill with my walkman and a tape with loads of really up beat music on it - that helps.

Abi you are amazing doing a marathon in less than 6 months. It took me that long to do 10K!!

Keep it up Vanessa
  • sorry- i didn't mean Abi with the 10% increase ! I meant Cazzy ! I agree, that's really impressive. It's addictive though isn't it ? First run last night and i can't wait to get home to go out again, though I'll take it much easier. I can't even imagine running a marathon... my goal now is 5 miles by mid summer.

do you find you eat more now that you're running ? when i was working out 3-4 times a week i ate like a big bloke.
  • Hi Vanessa

I don't eat more becuase I get tummy ache if I eat before I run and as I do most if running early evening it sort of messes eating times up. I try and control myself afterwards and have some ceral or somehting (I eat main meal at lunch time) but if I have had a stressy day at work I will dive for the crisps and chocolate - not good!! But at least since i have been running I can eat what I like and not put on any weight! I just have to cut out the rubbish and then I might lose some more!! My problem is that the girl I run with is the same height but weighs 1.5 stone less so we look like little and large - mind you it doesn't matter in the dark!!