Options

Cheap (Nutritious) Food please!

Comments

• Options
    My broad bean search wil continue at the weekend
  • Options
    might give it a try... but whats In the ball?? I do a lot of washing also.

Hipps
    what about trying to see if there are any allotments near you and some of the owners might grow and sell you some fresh??
  • Options
    laundry ball is good as long as you've no grease on your clothes. Gets rid of sweaty smells well, and chlorine from swimming gear.
    I really like bread and butter pud for a cheap recipe. Some super markets are cheap (ie. LIDL) They do superb ice creams!
    My youngest sis swears on being vegetarian for saving money on food. As she puts it, even the most expensive vegetable is cheaper than meat. (I still like being a carnivore though)
  • Options
    I don't mean to get up people's noses with this but - I'm a vegan Uni student & feed myself with plenty to share round for less than £12/week, using nothing more complicated than a Baby Belling mini-cooker (2 hobs & a shoebox oven between 8). Good standbys being rice cooked in tinned tomatoes, with lentils or beans (tinned kidney beans are about 12p & really easy) with whatever veg is going 1/2 price on the 'squashy' shelf at local grocery, & a few tablespoons peanut butter. Stick all in saucepan & boil till cooked. & for pud probably homemade scones & molasses (more minerals than jam), or malt loaf (24p / loaf for cheapy Kwiksave stuff). Porridge also brilliant (even better if made night before & left to soak), & can stick in loads of interesting stuff like sesame seeds, raisins, dates, nuts or whatever, & eat with molasses. Also get 'yesterday's bread' very cheaply, slice, freeze, & eat with peanut butter (old bread 20p, PB 60p/jar)
    (BTW, I really don't want to get up people's noses with the vegan bit, I'm not a militant evangelist about it, but whatever else, it's certainly cheaper than meat, cheese etc., & my running's improved in the last few years since I stopped eating animal stuff - but there could be loads of other reasons for that too).
  • Options
    oooh now feel terribly guilty and decadent - was just looking at waitrose "by invitation" catalogue at my mum's - loads of preorganised but yummy looking "entertaining" food

but priced accordingly...

• Options
    well done ceridwen

not my cup oftea tho
  • Options
    and lok

dont feel guilty
  • Options
    VoodooSmiles

TVP, yes!

Fantastic stuff - great for chillies and spag bol, and SOOOOO cheap.

And good for you...
  • Options
    Causes awful wind though! Ever tried bean feasts when camping? Just open the tent flap as a precaution.
    Also, beware of Jerusalem artichokes. THey are the worst ever!
    I must say, whenever I cook vegetarian for parties the carnivores are painful for finishing the vegetarian's grub up before the veges get a look in. But I do like a bit of meat as well.
  • Options
    Plenty of broad beans in the market, when in season - just started last week
  • Options
    feeling guilty..one of my many vices..
  • Options
    still no broad beans at sainers
    nor in the local farmers market
  • Options
    Try a salad of mixed greens, onions and mandarin orange slices.

Or salad of raspberries with cooked pea pods and an oil & balsamico vinegar dressing.

Plain joghurt with mixed fresh fruits.

Baked potato with broccoli & cheese.

Open sandwiches Danish style, toppings can be whatever takes your fancy. We often eat tuna or salmon with cherry tomatoes, green pepper slices, olives, and sliced radish.

Herb omelettes with a green salad.

Want some more?

• Options
    My current favorite...baked potatoes and pickled beetroot and cheese.

Porridge is brilliant also...I too like to leave it soaking overnight.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    been off the forum for the w/end on Dartmoor (Discovery) wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

ceridwen I am fascinated - I had a mini poster on one of my kitchen cupboards for years that was a B&W photo of a female triathlete on a bike - it said she was a dietician & a vegan (my sis is a SR dietician & duathlete & vegetarian - though she has threatened to eat some lamb if her blood count gets low again!)

as I read it, peanut butter & lentils & veg & beans all mushed together sounds disgusting but I'm sure if I gave it a go I could eat it - but would my sons?? (12 & 18)

seriously folks - there are some great ideas here and thankxxxxxx!
  • Options
    Try tomatoey rice:
    cook rice as normal. When its cooked, stir in a couple of skinned and chopped tomatoes. It is more moist and tasty than plain rice, and I serve it up with:

Cajun chicken:
    slice up a big chicken breast for each person. Sprinkle cajun seasoning over it. Stir fry it. Pile on top of tomatoey rice.

Stuff it down.

• Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    nice one turbo hamster!

(how do peeps choose their forum names??

ooopps I feel a thread coming on ...

I expect it's been done before)
  • Options
    I cook rice by the absorption method
    one cup of rice, and 2 cups of fliud
    to make my tomato rice, i substitue one cup of water with tinned tomatoes

or fresh roasted ones
    then i stir in a little grated cheese at the end
    yuuuuuuuuuuum
  • Options
    Cheers, Hippo! I am going to try that. I also cook my rice "the Delia Way" by absorption.

Pashka, the source of my name is an embarrassing secret. I think the name itself conveys a sense of determined, if short-legged, energy!
  • Options
    Mmm ph -I'm going to try your tomato rice tonight :0)

What about cauliflower and cheese sauce - cheap n cheerful - with diced up and fried bacon sprinkled on top and put in oven for a few minutes - just as hubbie likes.
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    I have to tell you that getting back some of my enthusiam for experiments is working

also this thing about not going shopping!

I am convinced that my decision to support my local milk-round person - even at 44p a pint - is paying off, cos it means I go to the supermkt LESS - and search in my fridge and cupboards MORE

I had a small amount of rice left-over and thought ...

chop an onion inc some purple & frazzle a bit in some xtra virgin

dice a carrot
    slice some cabbage (it is a gorgeous cabbage! and it's been in a poly bag in the fridge for at least a week)
    chuck in to pan with some boiling water and steam away for a few mins (so the veg is still firm-ish)

found some quite nice ham I hadn't eaten and cut it up

added a bit of stock powder & some lee&perrins "garlic & chilli" (too much actually)

and the left-over rice

so simple - so delicious!! (even without the ham)

oh - I put a few black olives in as well
  • Options
    I have a cheap and yummy meal from student days, is great with rice or spuds, with cheese or without.

Tin budget toms
    Tin budget beans
    one pepper or mixed frozen peppers are cheaper
    one onion
    garlic 2-4 cloves
    Some mushrooms
    Dried herbs any combination
    Dried chilli flakes or just powder to your taste.
    Any other veg such as sweetcorn, courgette
    Can also add some sausages for cheap sausage casserole.

Very cheap and dependent on your larder/fridge

My husband and I survived on very little money during our PhDs, ate very well and ran two very good marathons.

Home made flapjacks are very cheap, own brand cereals are cheaper and taste the same.

Make all sauces instead of buying jars, tin toms and dried herbs are much cheaper than jars of curry, chilli or pasta sauces.
    Tinned tuna and mince are your best friends!
  • Options
    paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Thankxxx Mitchie Moo!!
    keep raiding the cupboard!! - I'll be back making my own bread at this rate

I used to buy a massive block of proper yeast & cut into small chunks & freeze - works fine - but local baker won't sell it now - so have to buy small bits from health-food store where I feel guilty if I only spend 12p (and where their home-made homity pies & gorgeous seeded bread & carrot cake & oh oh are impossible to resist)

trinity1 - glad to hear of someone else keeping the local milk round going - yes - I hope it's still going when I get old!!
  • Options
    and boing again for hackney hawk

i wish to report i hae had broad beans most weeks for the last few weeks

My recipe for snot soup
    gently cook at little choped onion and potato in butter, add water and simmer for 15 mins
    ann fresh or frozen peas, or broad beans, and some eaf spinach or watercress and wilt for 2-3 mins

Liquidise, stir in a little cream
    if you like add croutons and parmesan

• Options
    Hippo - have you tried dried and roasted Broad beans?? they are gorgeous AND .... they do taste like crisps!!!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Hipps, your Snot Soup recipe is similar to one of mine, only I base it on lentils and add leftovers and pellets of frozen spinach. We call it Garden Pond.
  • Options
    oooooh
    what kind of lentils?

Imelda--no, but i wil look for the dried broad ones when next in london or brum
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Yer standard pink lentils. Split peas take a little longer to cook but any smaller-grain dahl is good too. I throw in a handful or two after I've softened the onion and added a tsp of curry paste, then add the water or stock.