Pace calculating watches?

I'm wondering whether anyone has heard of any pieces of kit which can use your lap times, and pre-entered distance and time requirements mid race to work out the pace you need to do the rest of the distance at to make your required time.

My mental arithmatic goes to pot when i'm tired, and on sunday I was convinced I needed to speed up to hit my target, but in actual fact I had a few seconds/mile in hand.

Comments

• forerunner gps with virtual partner set at a certain pace is the only thing vaguely like that i've heard of...
    ...i do it in my head, makes the miles pass quicker ;)
  • Nike sell a gadget called a an SDM Triax (I think)which is a more complicated version of a pedometer. It tells you what pace you are running at (in kph/mph)distance you have covered etc etc.

I've used one for the last couple of years but now switched back to a HRM. The better quality HRM's can record and display split times etc.

I raced with one yesterday. As I knew what my target splits were, I could calculate how hard I needed to run.

Oh and I think the mental arithmatic thing happens to many people. Tends to happen as we become more dehydrated: it's a bi-product of fatigue (according to Mrs FFM and she's a sports scientist).