Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike, I'll give the 10 miles a go as today there has been very little discomfort. I'll do a route that allows me to cut it short should I need to. I'll also do 30 mins on the turbo trainer.

I think I'll stick to only using a hrm for recovery runs so as not to push too hard.
  • This is progress, Mike. Hilly using the phrase `so as not to push too hard':)
  • Glad it's working!

I'll be in the registration marquee at the Windsor triathlon on Saturday if anyone is coming through. Won't be there Sunday for the race itself though.

Enjoy your weekend training or racing everyone.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thank you, BR!:O)

Had a very busy evening so only just got chance to post about today's trainig.

I'm happy to report a positive run. Did 12 miles, the first mile at a jog pace to warm up, then 10 miles easy 9 m/m and another 1 mile jog to cool down. I was constantly assessing my leg and was mostly unaware of any discomfort. It was one of those runs where my legs really wanted to run, but I held myself back, which was quite hard to do. Had plenty in reserve when I finished, so did 30 mins easy on the turbo trainer.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Another 15 miles cycle done today. Going to attempt 15-16 miles easy off road run tomorrow. I love off road running and the surface is a bit kinder at the moment.

Also, I bought an Intrasound pain therapy unit today, which works on the same principle as Ultrasound (just weaker sound waves)so hoping this will help too!
  • Awww 'eck Hilly, there was me thinkig I was close to you on Pb's, except the log distances ad ow you do this....;-)

Good Luck
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Maybe you'd like to do Cardiff too sfh legs? There's a good thread on Events with lots of us signed up for the Marathon.

What are your PB's?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd post my weeks training so it can be seen at a glance and commented on if need be!

Mon-13 miles cycle on country road route-undulating.

Tues-short swim 700m various paces.

Wed-5K race with warm-up and cool down.

Thurs-12 miles cycle + 5 miles on treadmill

Fri-12 miles easy (some leg soreness, especailly up/down hills)

Sat-15 miles cycle, undulating country roads.

Sun-18 miles easy with 12 off road-undulating route with a couple of wicked hills. 15 miles cyle on country roads.

Hope to bring a few more runs in again over the next couple of weeks as my injury gets stronger. At the moment it's ok at an easy pace, but can't cope with fast running and doesn't like going down hill too much. Otherwise it's no problem!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hill, do you ever rest? ;-)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Minks, I do!:o)

It's just I don't find cycling and swimming as stressful as running and as I'm not running as much as usual I'm not needing the same rest.

As I increase the number of runs I do in the next few weeks I imagine I'll need to rest more than now.

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Having not really ridden a bike since mine got stolen when I was at university, we went cycling round the Cotswolds at the weekend on mountain bikes borrowed from the hotel we were staying at. I found I got much faster lactic acid build-up in my legs than through running, and found the cycling MUCH tougher. OK, it was pretty hilly, but I thought cycling would be easier on the legs than running. Also made my lower back ache like crazy! Think I'll stick to the running!

Hilly, do you do any resistance work/core strengthening type stuff as well as running, cycling and swimming? From your photo you look to have great upper-body definition and I'm after some of the same!
  • Hilly looks good, try the shuttle runs later in the week to try to gently - do the drills as a warm up - say 5 x heel kicks into the bum, 5 x high knees, 5 x fast feet, then 10 x 100m at a little more than your 5km speed but not flat out, this way you may be able to gradually reintroduce slightly faster running building form at the same time.
  • Minks, you were probably pushing too high a gear which will have the same lactic acid build up as running a flat out mile, when cycling go for cadence rather than power.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Mike, I was in 1st (i.e. lowest!) gear! Think it just felt strange because when I was a kid I never had bikes with gears, so got used to standing up on the pedals when going uphill. Found sitting on the saddle much harder. Maybe the bike's gears were a bit faulty ...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Will do those drills on Wednesday Mike as I'm down the track with my son that day.

I did another 10 miles easy tonight, but couldn't fit in any cycling due to lack of time. Leg felt better than yesterday and didn't wear a support bandage for the first time in weeks-progress!

Minks, I do circuit training once a week. I don't lift weights, but I do press-ups and tricep dips.
  • Just caught up with the thread, good luck with it Hilly.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Monique, I think I may need that luck!

Will only do a very short run today of about 3 miles as I don't want to over stress my leg. I'll also do 15 miles cycling too.
  • Good luck Hilly - realy interested in this thread - keeps me from going mad while I wait for my "comeback" to begin. Your PB's at shorter distances are worse than mine but your marathon is significantly better - don't they say that women are physiologically better at longer distances?

Minks - the type of bike that you typical hotel touts as a mountainbike is gnerally low quality / high weight and really suitable only for very gentle offroad so its not surprising you found it difficult. A good mountainbike will climb like nothing on this earth. The advantage of a bike is that, although there is less perceived exertion - due to the time spend freewheeling, you can spend a lot more time in the saddle for less next day soreness. My heart rate on an MTB session generally ranges between low 110's to low 180's! So I look at it as a fartlek session. Having not run for 18 months my resting heart rate is still is the mid-40's. Incidently, the best way to ride uphill on an MTB is to stay seated that way you maintain more traction and avoid the inevitable lactic acid build up when you stand.
  • Hilly,

Do you take drinks (water or energy drink) with you when you race a 1/2 marathon? Do you have any tips? thank you!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hilly - I had a session with a personal trainer yesterday. No weights but boy did he work me hard doing press ups, crunches, lunges etc all using my own body weight as resistance. I can hardly move today!

MartinH - that makes me feel better! I did actually stay seated in the saddle but even in 1st gear my legs and lower back were burning and I just wanted to stand on the pedals to give myself some extra power. You're probably right in that those bikes were not really proper mountain bikes - it certainly didn't climb with ease!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Martin, good to see you posting again. How's the knees? Some of the guys at my running club with slower or similar marathon times to me also seem to run faster over shorter distance. Anyone like to answer if men have more fast twitch muscles than women?

Minks-my bike is set up for my proportions so I would expect to have less tiredness after compared to if I rode someone else's bike.

Sounds like your trainer worked you hard. Keep at it you'll soon notice those arms take shape! I sometimes find it hard to lift my arms the next day too. What we do for fitness!

Spud-in this weather I would most probably carry a small hand held bottle of sports drink. In cooler weather I make do with the water on offer. I always try to make sure I'm well hydrated going into the race. My friend who runs much faster than me carries a sports drink as a comfort blanket! It's finding what suits you. When is your next half marathon?

• Hilly, yes I belive men do have more fast twitch muscles, women are better at longer distances.

Awww Spud, Amsterdam marathon are using Gatorade this year, so it would be worth you trying to use that in training.
    Sorry if the above looks to be on the wrong thread!
  • Hilly, thank you for your answer. I will be doing Borehamwood on the 27th of June.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks BT, I thought so!

Good luck Spud, you should do a good time after all the training you've been putting in!

Just back from a 6 miles run, which was awful. My leg really ached and I ended up plodding along. Nevermind it's done now. Running late in the evening maybe doesn't suit me as I had to wait to eat when I'm used to running about 4.30pm and then eating.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I'm going to do the 100m drill sessions tonight and will report back afterwards.

Mike-how quickly could I build up to running 70 miles a week without risk of further injury? Is it necessary for me to run this many miles to achieve my target or is it possible to achieve it on less miles?

My pb's suggest a marathon time of 3.18 that's still 3 mins short of what I'd like to achieve. Am I aiming too high based on my ability?

I'm away on holiday a week today for a week, so that will interrupt my training (but might be a relief for my leg!)as I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do. Should I aim to do some running or would it be ok to just swim and walk?
  • Hi everybody!
    I'm really interested in this coaching thread as my marathon goal is the same as Hilly's.
    My marathon pb is 3.23, but that's from 2001- for some reason I haven't been able to improve it. I've been quite disheartened as I've been running for approx. 10 years and my pb has improved every year, but for some reason even though I think that my training has developed I can't run a faster time.
    Although being a woman, my times are in fact quicker over longer distances. My pb for 10K is 43.32.

Mike, do you think that the reason why my marathon time isn't improving is due to my slow time over 10K? I train 6 days a week and run about 80-90K.
  • Just realised my gaff- I meant that like other women, my times are faster over marathon than shorter distances!
    Maybe different race time prediction charts should be made for men and women?
  • Hi Hilly,
    I hoping that you can do less than 70mpw to reach your goal! I'm planning to peak at about 50mpw mixed in with a couple of quality speed/hill sesions.

• What a brillient thread, so much going on. Keep up the training Hilly. You never know, one day we may just bump into one another!