Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    hilly I looked for you everywhere at Hayling but didn't spy you. How did you go? I thought it was a great race with ideal conditions and I liked the course. It was by no means boring. I managed a pb by 1 minute. Last weekend I had a 10k and also did a pb by about a minute too. So I am well pleased. Just a 5 miler next w/e and then that is the end of racing for me until early March. Just lots of hard training to do instead!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I missed you.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi ceal, I looked for you too and even asked a women with long dark hair who I thought looked a little like your picture or what I remember if she were you-obviously the answer was no. Glad you had a NORMAL name to ask though as can you imagine if I asked 'are you plodding hippo!' LOL :o)

Well done on your PB, what was your finish time?

As you say great running conditions, but bl**dy freezing and a nasty cold breeze, but not gusting or strong so very pleased with conditions. The course was good and like you I didn't find it boring at all. I do tend to favour a bit more variation though as flat races like that cause me tiredness from running the same pace, I could've done with just a small undualation to alter the stress from one area to another.

Had a real good run and was well chuffed with a pb 0f 2 mins 8 secs finishing in 68:02, just missed the sub 68 even though I sprinted for the line! Happy though:o)
  • Well done Hilly on your PB, I take it was a 10 mile race. It was freezing cold for my run this morning too.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jane. Yes, it was 10 miles. I can't say I felt warm even while racing today, but then I was in vest and racing shorts so not surprised. It was my hands though that I really felt it on, but I'd forgotton my gloves.

There was one girl running in crop top and race shorts, now she was brave, oh and superfast!:o)
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hilly and FAS, if you both want to know how good you both are, have a look at www.veterans10mile.org.uk

Both of you so talented and modest - that's the sort of people I admire.
  • hilly I had on leggings, a long sleeved top and a gillet and wore gloves and at times running into that cold wind I wondered if I was taking it all too seriously but glad to be out there really. I did seen a few peeps with shorts on and wondered how they do it!!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Hi hilly, that is a great pb well done. Yes it was cold, but I wore the legs that come below just below the knee. ( I am sure they must have a name) and I wore a thin top with long sleeves and gloves for the first 3 miles then I tucked them in my shorts or whatever they are called. You must be very pleased with your performance. I ran official time 1:20:05. By my watch I ran exactly 1:20:00. I was like you a little annoyed not to get under 80 min mark. Although of course you were looking at going 67 mins!!!!!!!!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Tom-interesting to see where I'd place! I know a few of those in front of me too:o)

Today was a very strong field of women. I finsihed 17th overall and 6th in the 35-45 age group. The first ver lady did it in 61 mins, puts my run into perspective I think!:o)

Were you racing or training today Jane?

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done ceal, that's a really good time! Actually ceal I only wanted to go sub 70, but decided to run how I felt and just see how things went in the race. Thankfully they went well!

I think the walk back to the school chilled me to the bone:o)
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    hilly where were you parked, at the school I hope, some peeps who were parked at MillRythe Caravan Park, had a real long way to walk back to their cars.

17th overall, that it is fantaaaaaaastic hilly. There were certainly some fast ladies today, I would call them youngsters! My result is shown as L45yrs! What a pity that they couldn't have raised it to L55 at least. They only gave 2 over 45yr prizes to the Ladies as it was.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    My friends car was parked close to the school, so not far to go, but I think hanging around watching others come in, getting a drink, recovering from feeling sick and chatting was enough to lower body temp pretty quick:o)

17th in the ladies not the whole field mind!

I thought the prize structure was a bit poor and agree they should have had a L55, especially in a race that size!

Did you stay for prize giving? I had a hot drink and a ham roll, then we left as friends were driving.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Yes hilly I did stay as someone in my club ad won MV60 age group and wanted to give him support. But we do not have as far as you to travel home. Btw I had realised that you meant 17th in Ladies, still fantastic.
  • Tom - how very thoughtful of you and thank you for your kind words. You have really made my day. I have heard your name mentioned quite a lot and know that you are very knowlegable - a bit scary really cos sometimes it's all a bit much to take in.
    I was only saying this am while out running that I would love to see the UK rankings and now I have altho' they will have changed somewhat since my race. Anyhow, I'm still so chuffed to see that my time has put me in the the list. From now on I will avidly read your advice to people!

Hilly - congratulations on your PB - I'm sure it will continue to go down - nothing like a PB to give you confidence.
  • thanks for asking hilly, I did a 14 mile training run with half of it into the wind (well it seem like it), trying to build up my long runs now when I can rather than leaving it too late like I normally do.

Ceal would love your time :)))
  • Well done Hilly, Ceal, FAS and Jane!!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks FAS and Spud!

Jane-good mileage and sounds like a character building one into the wind!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    ceal, I bet we were both in the refreshment area at the same time! I was sat at the table right next to where the results were posted on a window.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    hilly, I would be so busy looking at the results that I didn't look through the window!! What a pity. We should have swopped
    mobile phone numbers. Next time we must make sure we do that.

Incidentially re your telling me 3.44 marathon could be on for me, well I find that too scarey to even contemplate, although I cannot put it off forever. Actually, my 10 mile should be faster according to race predictions from my new 10k time of 47.39. But I have not really trained properly for a 10 mile race, that my excuse anyway:-))
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jane M that is a great distance you covered this morning. I have not run further than 10/12 miles for a loooong time. But will be upping the longer run from next wee onwards. Into a head wind too that must have been hard. I hate headwinds of any sort!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    ceal-I'm in awe of the times you're achieving (I don't like to keep saying at your age!)in your tender youth:o)

Yes, we must make sure we meet next time with swapping mobile nos.
  • One of the truly lovely things about hanging around on this forum for a relatively long time, is to see the improvement over that time in kids of all ages!

Hilly, Ceal, and many others Yippeeeeee!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    You're right Stickless and you for one I believe have made a lot of improvement! Long may it last for all of us, or at least let's enjoy it while it does:o)
  • Congratulations on your time Hilly.
  • Well done Hilly & Ceal.....brilliant times and just what you deserve.

Have been a bit out of things for the last week as we're moving office at the moment and BT ceased our Broadband and won't be back on line for a few more days yet - I have to keep popping home to get on line.

For those who asked way back - we should be starting the FLM Hard training thread for this Sunday since runners are just finding out if they got accepted or rejected.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi Mike and thanks!

Look forward to the FLM Hard training thread, it should be a real success!

Hope the office move isn't too stressful!:o)
  • Can I just ask on this thread cos it was mentioned earlier and since so many appear to be vets on this it - does anyone know the websites for veteran 10k, half marathon and marathon UK rankings? - I know, but I'm really curious to know & what I need to set my sights at!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I only seem to be able to find the 10 mile one using google and Tom already gave us the link to that one.