Hard Training - Dawn (Hilly)

Comments

• cealceal ✭✭✭
    I have not idea what I have done to make the whole of my posting into a link:-))!!!
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    It was blue last time I posted now it is red, what is going on I wonder!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks ceal. I think it turns red once you've clicked on the link:o)
  • the British Milers Club site has ranking for all age groups and distances, but not in so much depth. :-

www.britishmilersclub.com/rankinglist
  • If Mike G is back in the frame again, then I'm back in for more punishment. I'd be interested to find out where MG thinks you can get to in this next phase Hilly.

Best of luck.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Roo I could not get any information from the site you mentioned, it seemed to come up with the headings but no peeps names on the different rankings!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    blisters-I'm not asking for much more. I'm happy to do the same kind of training as last time, and get a similar time, if I get better then that's a bonus!:o)

Mike-is the new FLM Hard Training going to be on the Training forum or FLM forum?
  • Ceal, now you mention it I seem to remember there are some ages and distances not filled in. But lots are. Have you tried marathon and half marathon for your age-group ?
  • Have just checked the W60 lists, and you're right , they do all seem to be empty, and the younger age-groups are much fuller than my age-group. Perhaps they use a universal cut-off time to create them - seems like 40 min 10k, 3:30 marathon, 1:30 half. But that very unfair, but I suppose someone would have do go through AW for all the age groups.

I actually try and record for myself, from AW, all the times faster than mine for my age-group, for all the major distances, starting from the beginning of the year, which being something of a statistics buff/crack-pot I find gives a purpose and excitment to my Wed am post - going tho the results in AW.
  • 3 hours blisters......I have asked Sean to put it on the Training forum, he has the first week which will start on Sunday 5 Dec.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    3 hours?!!

Mike did your weeks training start on a Sunday then?

I used to start my week on a Sunday just so I got my long run over at the beginning of the week. I don't suppose it makes much difference, just a psychological thing!:o)

TmR-that's dedication noting all the times from AW of women your age!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I always start my training week on a Monday so I make sure I get out the door for my long run on the Sunday!
  • So let me see...
    Hilly does 2:59 FLM05, 2:45 Cardiff (Luton? Abingdon?) 2005, then 2:33 at FLM06, qualifying for the Commonwealth Games.

I've got you sussed!
  • There are other ways of getting in to the Commonwealth Games...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    blisters-in my dreams maybe. Saying that even my dreams don't go as far as CG!:o)

90 mins-what ways are you thinking of?

I'm realistic enough to know that my body will only perform to a certain level before it breaks down! I'm not fast!! I don't have regular therapists to keep the aches and injuries at bay and I'm advancing in my years making it harder to recover!:o)

In my running club alone there are at least 5 women of equal or better ability than me and we're a small running club. Put me into something like FLM and I'm a small fish in a big sea!:o(

But it's all about personal goals, right? Not where one places in the wider picture:o)
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hilly, not fast???

<THUD!>

(Wish I was as 'slow' as you!)
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Hilly, I think I see another example of your much admired modesty. 3:15 is a very useful start point. There is no reason, that with care, consistancy and your trademark quiet determination you won't carry on steadily improving over the next few years. CGs - maybe not, but continuing improvement - cetainly.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Here here Tom.
  • Hilly - are the other women mainly shorter distance runners though?
  • wish I was as "slow" as you too :))
  • Hi Hilly, Aim high, who knows where you will be by April - your new 10 mile PB is an indication that you can take big chunks off.

I always started on Sunday so that I could 25% of the weeks mileage under my belt at the start.
  • cealceal ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree Mike, and I am going to change my schedule to start on Sunday. I hate starting the week with 6 miles or even a rest day. It makes the rest of the week seem almost impossible to fit the miles in.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for kind words. I do find it difficult to think of myself as anything other than an average runner. But I take on board I'm faster than quite a few for my age.

Tom-I agree 3:15 is a good starting point. It's one I never dreamed I'd be able to achieve until it happened.

Once I start FLM training I'll be fully focussed again on what I want to achieve. Once I decide to do something I'm normally very determined to see it through, even though deep in my mind I don't always feel confident that I'll pull it off!:o)

popsider-the women in my area seem to be very strong runners for some reason. The 5 I mention are all vets between 35-50! While I can now hold off 3 out of the 5 in most races, a bad day for me is a good day for them:o) They do all distances like me too.

Mike-I'll try to aim high for FLM at least!:o)

I think I too am going to return to starting my week on a Sunday. I like the idea of getting a big chunk of training done early in the week!:o)

I should be doing a 10k next Sunday, so will be looking to see if I can knock some time off my 10k. I've not done any 10k specific speed sessions, but have started to pick the pace up on one session a week, so hopefully this and the work done for the marathon will be enough. Should I do a normal weeks training and just rest 1-2 days before or taper again do you think?
  • I would Hilly, at some point you will need to think about not tapering and using races as part of the FLM build up, but would be good to close the year with another PB.

Just remember, you ran 3.15 starting from where you were back in the summer - you are several minutes quicker over most distances now so starting from a higher platform.
  • Hilly - have just read the last postings regarding your aims (as suggested by others) and I want to try and follow what you do in training so I'll help you if you help me! As I boasted recently (only cos I was so pleased) after a period of ticking by, I broke my ankle last year and it gave me renewed enthusiasm & did a PB in 10years of 65.58 at the old age of 46. So I am really looking forward to this thread and perhaps I can encourage you as this thread has given me so much advice.(altho' I dont think that you need it!)

Thank you Ceal for your link even tho it was a bit long!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mike. I agree it would be nice to get just one more PB this year. 10k is the one missing!:o) I went through 6 miles in 40 mins on Sunday, so hopefully I will be able to take a little bit off my current 42:06PB.

The race falls right as my 18 weeks of specific marathon training starts that very Sunday. Plus I've already got in a couple of 70 mile weeks this month.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi FAS-I think you had every right to boast of such a good time. Even more impressive because you're 46!! It's seeing posts like yours telling of such achievements that motivate me too!! Knowing others older than me can do it makes me feel, I should be able to too. So yes, I'm happy to help and be helped during FLM training!:o)

The beauty of these threads is the encouragement we all give to each other. It's why they're so addictive!:o)
  • I have just had the most awful day at work - honestly am about to pack in then I get onto here & think about this - it is great! I think my running keeps me sane (well almost!) Yes it is the encouragement from complete strangers that can help!
    Even tho' I've got carried away on this & just burnt a pizza! So off to eat it!
    Great comfort food - I'm glad I ran at 6.30am!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I had a stinker of a day at work too today and I'd failed to get out of bed this morning to run, which wasn't a good start! I did run this evening for 7 miles easy as my legs were a little achy from 12 miles last night.

I'm determined to get up at 6am tomorrow to do my first run as my double day will now be tomorrow, seeing as it wasn't today!

Enjoy your burnt pizza!:o)
  • Ok I had a nice, if dead boring day at work. The best bit was finishing early enough to get the shopping done, and still have time for a 2 hour run! Brill.