Hernia surgery

Mr Fifer asked me to check this one out for him.

He's off for an inguinal hernia repair on Monday. He's been told that he won't be able to lift anything for at least 6 weeks, but he's keen to have some idea of how long he's likely to be out of action, running-wise.

So all you chaps-of-a-certain-age out there--has anyone had it done?

cheers

TFF

Comments

• Oh Tim

Tim had his done on 11th may
    hes up to 14 mile runs now
  • Won't be able to lift anything for 6 weeks? Don't let him spin you that line, TFF!
  • Tell me more!!- the next few weeks are looking a lot more rosy already.

• Hello, Hippo's right, just over 4 weeks ago now. I have a piece of paper that says I can't hoover or do heavy shopping for 6 weeks.
    I had another piece of paper which was an excercise sheet. That was more specific-the first week I was advised to walk 10 minutes 4 times a day, trust me, that was very hard at first, very uncomfortable and slow. Couple of days of that and I was walking at my usual pace. Ok, week two was 2 half hour walks 4 days in the week.
    week 3 I was allowed to jog in straight lines, and week 4 I was allowed to run in straight lines and jog round corners.
    week 5 normal activities allowed with care.
    I went for a 2 hour bike rife yesterday and ran 14 miles today.
    Good luck to him, the thing to remember is everyone is different. I've recovered quickly but I was fit enough to run ultras before I had the op. He must take care and its really important to rest and take it easy.
  • Thanks Tim

Although (selfishly) I'm a bit distressed about the hoovering and shopping restrictions (Guess I'll be mowing the lawn for the next few weeks), what you say sound quite optimistic.

He was fortunate to get a cancellation slot, so we've only had a few day's notice of the op.

Mr Fifer had a 5k race lined up for the 1st weekend in July- obviously that one is out of the question.

But at least the horizon isn't stretching too far ahead.

I hope he heals as quickly and well as you, Tim....I don't think I could cope with the stress levels if he was out of action for too long!
  • One thing you need to repember is that anything like coughing or sneezing will hurt for the first week or so, and don't give him anything funny to read.
  • My wife would like me to add that according to the exercise sheet gentle sexual intercourse is permitted by the second week but you're not allowed to do press ups until the next week.
  • Hi TFF

You don't say if it will be 'key hole' or 'open' surgery. I had key hole in April 2002 which unfortunately didn't work so ended up with a second 'normal' operation in June 2003.

I can't remember how soon I was running again after the first op, but I think I started up again about 3 to 4 weeks after the open operation. I did a half marathon 3 months afterwards.

Hope this helps, main thing is to only do what feels ok, we're all different!

Hope all goes well.

• Vinny

It'll be an open mesh repair.

This all sounds very optimistic.I showed him the info I'd tracked down yesterday, and he cheered up no end.

As his other hobby (motorcycle trials riding) will be off limits for a lot longer, he's pleased that his running won't be interrupted for too long.

Thanks, chaps, for your help

Happy hernia free activity

TFF

PS 'gentle' sex- don't know the meaning of the word!!--tee hee!!!!
  • I had the "mesh repair" for an inguinal hernia about three years ago.

I was up to moderate exercise after 4 weeks and fully fit after about 6.
  • Lady Luck wasn't on my side. I couldn't even lift a kettle first day out of hosp'. I was out of action for six to eight weeks, and even had to walk with a walking stick at first.

I felt like I'd been kicked in the goolies, and they were blackand blue to accompany the feeling - I shudder to think what the surgeon had been doing. One of my balls was hanging very low, and wouldn't pull up like normal. Had to wear a support.

Every supermarket trolley appeared to be going to collide with my crotch.

Everythings OK now!!!!
  • Scott-poor you!- I'm glad everything healed alright in the end.

Mr Fifer's now 24hrs post op. All things considered he doesn't seem too bad- in fact he was due another dose of painkillers 15 minutes ago and he hasn't asked for them yet!

• Glad to hear all has gone well, I'm sure he'll be ready for a run by the weekend!