Options

MdS medical advice

I need some advice from those who have completed the MdS and the like in the past...

How have you gone about getting the medical report - ECG and blood group, etc - to comply with the MdS entry?

When I approached my doctor, he said such non-emergency tests were chargeable - is this your experience?

I've also checked with BUPA, and a full exercise medical is over £500 !

Comments

• Options
    Your GP will charge for all such screening and it is up to them how much they charge. They do the same for insurance tests but the insurance companies usually cough up.
  • Options
    Absolutely, although I got mine for free (pure fluke though)

• Options
    I had to get the blood test done privately (which cost £30 plus a £30 parking ticket whilst I was in getting it done)

My local Gp did not charge me for either the ECG or the medical. Most do.

But a medical through your GP shouldnt cost you more than £60 - the ECG about £30...or something like that.

Some Doctors can be a bit funny about signing the medical apparrently I know a couple of people who had real problems getting their medical cert signed off.
  • Options
    Horses for courses......
    When I did the MdS my Doc at the time was also a runner so did everything but the blood check for zilch. Blood test at the time (2000) cost £23 at BUPA.
    However, in later race (Desert Cup) different Doc charged me £20 for medical but this is significantly cheaper than some other who I gather have been charged £120 +.
  • Options
    I didn't bother with the blood tests - didnt even know you had to have them! My doc a real stingy ...... but manage to get it done for free - in kent its only £40, you lot obviously live in the expensive parts of the country!!
  • Options
    easy and cheap way to get your blood group and its FREE!! go to your nearest blood donor bank, give 1 pint of blood and they give you a little book with your blood group in it.
    your medical is a simple one and you don't really need to be exercising for your ECG, keep it as simple as possible, talk nice to your doctor, usually if you mention you are doing it for a charity they will give it for free or give a bit of discount,if you have a good doctor like mine and ask for as many ECG's as i have i get double discount, he just signs of my medical form now without even checking me, he says if i am daft enough to do these things i should be fit enough, nuff said.