Options

Polar s625x

Comments

• Options
    Will sweatshop deliver to the US?
  • Options
    Just a word of caution. Ribble cycles don't have the healthiest of reputations in the cycling comunity, prices are cheap but can sometimes be a bit tempramental delivery wise
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I find it difficult to believe that Ribble Cycles have any of these - from the email I had from Wiggle, it sounded like Sweatshop had claimed the whole of the first delivery into the UK.

• Options
    My 625 is still driving me nuts. I've tried changing the battery, walking instead of running and even wearing different shoes but it still flickers between thinking I'm doing 20km/h and 0km/h.

I was reading the manual again while waiting for the train this morning and spotted something that made me think... When I turn my foot pod on the green light comes on once but doesn't flash continuously as the manual suggests. Do other people's footpods flash continuously or just once? Is mine a freak?

I think it's going to have to go back to the shop today.
  • Options
    Mine flashes repeatly ... try pressing the button for longer.
  • Options
    Blinking flip. Now it's flashing... It makes a weird noise, too. Like an insect.

Eeyin, you are my hero.
  • Options
    tallbird.. if it helps you reconcile the price / accuracy concern:

we have a super accurate 6-axis sensor at work (measures accel in 3 directions and rotational rates).
    it cost the best part of £15k so i think you've got the better end of the bargain there ;)

and it's definitely too heavy to stick on your shoe... and that's without a power supply.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    :) cheers edm, I feel much better now.

DT - I went through exactly the same thing trying to turn the sensor on - thought it was broken because it just wouldn't flash - then I figured out that you had to hold the button down for longer!!!

The instruction manual leaves somethings to be desired that's for sure.

Interesting that you were getting a reading at all considering you didn't turn the foot pod on. how does that work??
  • Options
    Your welcome ..... mine gets it first official race tomorrow (Kirkintilloch 10kms)

Ive always been slightly sceptical of some mile or km markers especially. Now I'll be able to check.

Also it is now possible to see how far you run in a football match golf course, or see how far a postman, housewife or any profession walks.
  • Options
    The manual is a shocker. I get the impression they haven't user tested it at all. I'm completely baffled by the fact that I get a reading when it's not properly switched on. It must go into some kind of nuts state.

Unfortunately I took one look at the weather this morning and decided not to bring my kit with me to work so I can't test it out at lunchtime...
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Sounds like UK sweatshop customers ARE the testing ground before they release it to the US and Europe!
  • Options
    Ive went to the bother of measuring 400 metres outside my house using my bike and walking with it for 195 revolutions .... I could use that for interval training that Ive been meaning to start.
  • Options
    I'm starting to get to grips with mine now. I had the same inital problem with the footpod. I can't see why the light can't just stay on for a second to confirm activation.

Still, went on the treadmill last night to have another comparison of the accuracy. (Earlier in the thread I compared my 2mile loop). I'm also having the same problem of converting miles and km's. At 1/2 mile on the treadmill, the watch said 0.77km. I was starting to panic - this would be about 3.75% out in just 800m. By the mile marker though, the watch had caught up and read excatly 1.6km. How pleased was I!!

All in all, I did just over 4 miles and the watch was spot on. I think I did try and confuse it by recording in km's and then trying to download and set up the Polar software in miles. I will have to standardise on one or the other and just leave it.

The middle 2 miles of the 4 i did were intervals. I did 2 mins at 10mph and 1 min at 6mph. This was clearly shown in the heart rate and the speed lines on the graph although not as straight and flat as you might expect although I assume that the treadmill wsa running at a consistent speed. I put this down to my own individual running style.

The same cannot be said for the altitude however. I set the watch up in the bedroom and just left it at 0m as I didn't know how high up I was. The gym is down a big hill from my house so I should have had negative readings. I was also running on a flat tradmill so I should have had a reasonably flat line on the graph. This was not the case and the readings were all over the place.

Tonight I am circuit training so that will be interesting to see the readings then as we do shuttle runs etc as part of the circuit. Thursday will then be a rest day (watching football = well planned) and then a long run Friday so we will see how the watch performs.
  • Options
    > At 1/2 mile on the treadmill, the
    > watch said 0.77km. I was starting to
    > panic - this would be about 3.75% out in
    > just 800m. By the mile marker though,
    > the watch had caught up and read excatly
    > 1.6km.

I've noticed that on the treadmill I sometimes use, the distance calculated is based on the speed you set it to run at even if it hasn't spun up to that speed yet. i.e. if I set x km/hr it might take a minute to get to that speed even though after 1 minute it says you've run all the distance at x km/hr.
  • Options
    Been reading the threads and have a couple of questions. I have had a Polar Vantage watch for approx 5 years. It stays on my wrist all the time and I wouldn't be without it. Therefore is the 625x practical to wear for everyday use, including business meets etc. Secondly, for all those lucky enough to have one, what marks would you give it out of 10, bearing in mind your expectations before you purchassed it.
  • Options
    The watch is big. There's no getting away from it. The screen size is a plus for me as it means the digits are large. But it's not just the screen area but the depth. It's probably twice the depth of my old Polar Coach and this makes it quite a bulky thing to wear as an everyday watch. I tried with it under the cuff of my shirt and it was just annoying me. Having said that, I could get used to it.

So far, I'm very pleased with it. I've been waiting for the release for months and so I'm probably still in the "new toy" phase. I'm impressed by the accuracy so far which I was a bit skeptical about beforehand. The wtach itself is well made the chest strap is a major improvement on the old ones. As others have said, the manual isn't that great. Download it from Polar and you'll see what we mean. I guess its difficult to navigate around such a multi function device with only 5 buttons but the manual could be better.

Time will tell however. The software is different to the Coach Light software and will take some getting used to. Things like battery life etc will all crop up.

I like it a lot compared to my Polar Coach. Do I really need it and is it worth £237? My rating so far is 9/10 and that's only due to the manual.
  • Options
    just updated my sdm page although technical information on the accelerometer systems is a bit scarce! feedback as always appreciated.

seriously considering how i can get a garmin, polar, nike etc.. unit together in the same place to directly compare.

re treadmills: the indoor tri competitions stipulate you must use the arrows to change speed, as when you enter it via the keypad it calculates distance at that speed as soon as you enter it, not waiting for the belt to spin up.
    so i agree with foo bar.
  • Options
    interesting points about the treadmills. I must admit I did enter 10.0<enter> and then 6.0<enter> as to press up or down all those times is a pain.

I'll try and repeat the session using the arrows as suggested and see what the results are like.
  • Options
    EEyin,

If it is a BARR sanctioned event then the KM markers should be on the nose. The official measures are quite strict on the KM marking points.
  • Options
    greyhoundgreyhound ✭✭✭
    Tried to download the manual from the Polar site repeatedly with no success - I thought maybe they were trying to hide something...
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Like Scooby Dave, I have also been waiting for this to be released for months - and just had to have one as soon as they came out - rather than doing what I would usually, which is waiting to see the reviews, and until the price came down.

i was really worried that having waited so long and being so excited about it, I would be disappointed with the actuality - but I'm not.

It seems to be accurate, the watch is great in terms of being able to display exactly what you want to see (3 lines!), and although it is big - I don't find it uncomfortable or cumbersome (I wouldn't wear it all the time though).

I need to figure out how to use it to best suit my needs, but am hoping that it will encourage me to do things like speed work and tempo runs, which I always avoided doing in the past because I find it really difficult to tell how fast I am going.

I really think it is going to be perfect for that.

Other things - the chest strap is marvellous, not a chafe in sight, and the footpod is light enough not to notice.

On the downside - I am still having trouble with the exercise sets - the transfer between watch and software and back again just doesn't seem to work at all, and as previously said the instruction manual could have done with at least a bit of user testing.

Overall - considering it was a pricey bit of kit, I don't feel that I have been in anyway cheated out of my money, and if I had the choice again, then I would definately buy one.

score - 9/10
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies - very useful. I think I will have to splash out and upgrade my old Polar. On the subject of speed work and tempo runs, I have found that over the years, a HRM is excellent for showing you how much effort you are putting into say an interval session. I now train alone, but have in the past belonged to a number of running clubs where group training sessions were the norm. The HRM allows you to analyse how long you have been working in each zone (aerobic, anaerobic, redline, which relates to how hard the session is. In order to compare, I aim do the same interval session once a week (5 x 2 minutes 20sec ish) with 90 seconds recovery. I guarantee if you do the steady runs in between, you will notice a significant improvement both in times, and lower high end heart rate readings.
  • Options
    What is the number of HR zones you can setup per workout? On the S610 it was 3.
    Can you setup all 5 zones?
  • Options
    i'll have to check when i get hmoe but from memory you can set up only 3 range limits still on each exercise set. This is a bit strange as I;m sure that the polar software allows up to 8. I'll have a play and get back to you.
  • Options
    I don't know why they don't give you all 5 zones? You can then see time spent in all your HR zones.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    You can only set 3 limits for alarms during exercise, but you can set upto 8 ranges (and there are 5 files for different types of range - so for say cycling and running you might have different ranges of interest)which allows you to see how long you have spent in each zone.

Is that the right answer?
  • Options
    I think you've convinced me that it's too complicated for my feeble lil' brain. I just use mine really to see what my pulse is.

• Options
    tallbird

I think that is it. I don't mean exercise profiles; I mean actual heart ranges:
    zone 1 ( 100-135) zone 2 (135-150) etc.
    When you are done you can see the time you spent in each zone. You usually see the time spent in the zone, the time spent above the zone, and the time spent below that zone.
  • Options
    greyhound you can download the manual here
    I have just downloaded it no problem.
    cheers
  • Options
    vince: the polar precision performance software that it comes with will give you reports for time in up to 10 zones, but not the watch.