Options

Polar s625x

Comments

• Options
    You need to enable javascript to download the manual.
  • Options
    greyhoundgreyhound ✭✭✭
    Thanks LfW, I now seem to be having success downloading the manual (and it's all downhill from here, I fear!)
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Ok, here is something irritating (I feel yet another email to Polar coming on).

Last night I decided to go and see how the watch performed on some 400m intervals.

So - 5minute warm up, 8 x 400m at a certain pace with 1 minute HR recovery in between, 5 minute cool down.

5 minute warm up - great, although I was a bit suprised there was no warning 'beep' to tell me that the stage had finished (I have since discovered that you have to have the monitor sounds switched on to get interval beeps).

First interval - set off, changed the display, couldn't figure out how I was going to know when the interval had finished, changed the display a bit more, figured out what I needed to be able to see and what it meant, stopped running, waited for my heart rate to fall, set off on my next interval.

The speed on the wrist unit is really quite slow to react - so you know you are running pretty quickly, and it is still bleating that you are +99 over the limit. then of course, because you are trying to shut it up, you are going to fast, so it starts beeping to tell you that. After about 400m you finally get the pace right and it is time to stop.

Now here is the most irritating thing.

My recovery was set to be any time until my HR fell to 120bpm. Which worked really well. Unfortunately, even though the recovery period has nothing to do with pace - it still beeps like a mad thing because you aren't going at the interval speed any more!!! AAAaaaaargh. Obviously the only way to avoid beep rage in this situation is to turn the sound off - but really, did nobody think about this?

The words 'bolt on' spring to mind.

Still loving it though.

Great graph from the intervals!
  • Options
    Being the gadget addict that I am, the 625X would be right up my street. However, I don't feel all that comfortable beta testing something so complex. The forerunner is great in that you can download new firmware to fix bugs and add new features. You can't do that with the Polar unfortunately. I bet there'll be a mark 2 version of this in 6 months.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Still waiting for some sort of response from Polar - I have emailed them with 3 constructive criticisms so far.

Foo Bar - you are probably right about the Mark 2 version. If that is the case, I will be very upset and might well have to make a fuss.

I like making a fuss.

• Options
    hmmm.. i thought girls liked having a fuss made of them...
  • Options
    greyhoundgreyhound ✭✭✭
    The Polar S625X seems to have a lot more functions than anyone has discussed here - I googled the follwing description on www.todo-deporte.com:

Polar S625X 318.92€

Click to enlarge

The Polar S625X is the first Polar that combines the mensurations of speed and career distance with the heart rhythm: it is the first RUNNING COMPUTER of Polar.

Polar S625X this directed to the active corridors, triatletas and duatletas. It includes all the functions of the S610i and also:

- It measures the speed and distance, with the sensor of Polar speed S1 (Placed in the slipper).
    - Function OwnOptimizer: he/she helps to optimize the load of the training to avoid the excess or the lack of training. It is based on the carried out mensurations of the FC and of their variability during a test ortostatico.
    - Polar Mobile: Interactuar possibility by means of mobile telephony with telephones Nokia.

- Possibility to configure limits FC in form of percentages of the maximum FC.

- Possibility to configure a summary of limits of FC during the exercise.

- I register automatic of turns based on the distance.

- New design of the wing in black metal.

- Optional sensors of the speed cyclist, cadence and exit of power (ideal triatletas).

- Transmitter of coded cloth WearLink.

Polar S625X combines corporal mensurations, of yield and of the environment, creating palpable advantages for the corridor!

(Anyone care to translate?)
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Ah, I need slippers - and a corridor?
  • Options
    Ideally, and then you get the palpable advantage.
  • Options
    Whats the recommended retail price for one of these bad boys? (vaguely contemplating changing from my Timex Bodylink)
  • Options
    260 innit ? But some peeps are doing them cheaper. I think ribble cycles have been mentioned ?
  • Options
    Have ordered mine from Ribble Cycles for £219.99 with a free carry case thingy. Their stock is due to arrive next Friday, though, so a bit of a wait.

After reading Greyhound's assessment of features I am a bit worried, though..... I'm not sure I want a gadget which is capable of "mensurations" sounds like it could get messy.............however, at least it also comes equiped with "new design of the wing" and there's nothing like wings to cope with mensurations.
  • Options
    Emmmmmm i have a Timex Bodylink, not sure that I can justify getting a S625x.

Anyone out there have both?
  • Options
    What sort of weekly mileage do you gadgeteers do? Is it a practicle device for doing 400m intervals. Have I missed the point?
  • Options
    Can you switch between speed sensors on the go? If you are cycling and using the bike sensor can you switch to a running one on the fly? (thinking of T2)
  • Options
    I used my cycling sensors for the first time this morning. Switching between them isn't so tricky: Options menu, Speed set menu and then just up and down to switch from running mode to cycling mode. I guess you could do that in 20 seconds.

At least, that's all it seems to involve. Tonight I'll find out what it's actually done with that setting and recorded.
  • Options
    dodge.. tallbird's latest review suggests the speed of response might be a little too slow to use for intervals.. well 400m ones anyway.
  • Options
    It looks like a pretty good tool, especially since it has an altimeter. If I were to invest in one of these devices I'd want it to give me my speeds for throughout the entire run, my HR for throughout the entire run, and the altitude for the entire run so that I could not only see where my HR increases but have it relative to speed/distance/altitude. Does the 625X do this or does it only take recordings at intervals?

I'd also want it to cost less than £200.
  • Options
    Oh, I wouldn't want it for short intervals as I fail to see the point other than using it soley as a HRM. If I had one I'd probably just use it for long runs.
  • Options
    DT, did you swtich during the workout? Or did you have to start a second session once you changed options? How did you get to the options menu while it was recording?
  • Options
    Nah, I think you have to stop one file and start another. You don't seem to be able to get into the menus while it's recording.
  • Options
    Crap - that would take way too long in transition. Pity. Bit of an oversight.
  • Options
    Thanks for that DT :)

Took me a moment to figure out that your HR hadn't dropped from 110 to 30 :) Is the graph interactive ie can you click on a point and it will tell you how fast/how high/HR and distance to that point?
  • Options
    The graphing is great. You can click on a point and it gives you the time, HR, speed, distance, altitude and ascent figures at that point in time.

When I run from my house in Blackheath to Greenwich and back I can see when I go down the hill I speed up a little and when I run back up the other side I slow down a lot. My heart goes nuts on the uphill and apparently doesn't really slow down again until I stop. My excuse is that I've not been able to train for a couple of months because of a knee op, but it's nice to see a graph of just how unfit I've become.

The resolution's good - a reading every five seconds (at the maximum data rate). I can even see a drop in the speed trace at 6 minutes every day where I have to wait to cross the A2.
  • Options
    The only thing other than price that stops me ordering one right now is that I'm not sure that I'd actually be able to utilise the data all that effectively if at all. It would be a good monitor of progress though.
  • Options
    Yes, I know I'm not really getting any training benefit from it at the moment. It's a great motivator though. I'm really keen to use it for pacing - I think my split times in races are all over the place and I'd be quicker if I could choose one pace and stick to it.

There's a book on how to use an HRM effectively, but I can't rememher what it's called. Anybody care to enlighten us?
  • Options
    Precision Heart Rate training
  • Options
    DT, If you want, you can make a short-cut switch from running to cycling sensors by pausing the file with the bottom left button and then pressing and then a long press of the bottom right button. You'll see the top line of the display scroll between Run, bike and speed off. You can use this to quickly switch on/off your active bike settings. You won't need to restart your heartrate and the new file starts recording automatically in the new speed type when you press the red start button again.
    Its really far easier and faster to go this way rather than via the main menu.
  • Options
    Good man Aurora, you've just convinced me to get one again!!
  • Options
    ...another reason for not getting one, I'd not be able to turn the thing on let alone get it to record what I want. I'd set it for running/speed/HR and get Eastenders.