Options

Polar s625x

Comments

• Options
    Cheers Tailbird. The battery is new and the footpod is flashing green ok. The graphs are however very spikey. I tried the error correction facility but to no avail.
    any other ideas would be good.
    Benny.
  • Options
    I just ordered the s625x in the US.

From reading all the posts, do you have to recalibrate when you go from street to track to treadmill. I run on all three surfaces using different stride length and different sneakers. Will this require recalibratiion?
  • Options
    Yesterday I received mine and I'm still fighting with the manual :-(
    I guess it will take some days to understand how it works ...
    What about the data interface? Do I need to buy a Polar interface or can I use any USB infrared interface?
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Andro - the manual is pretty cumbersome (and not terribly well written or infact correct in some places) - but I just worked through it, trying everything on the unit as I went, and found that was enough to get me started. Mostly, you have to have a play around with it I find.

as for the infrared - any IRDA interface is fine. I use the one built into my laptop - which is fab.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    A reply from Polar regarding calibration:

"You can basically trust both ways of calibrating. I like to let the unit
    receive the last information, and then stop the calibration when the unit
    is no longer receiving data. You can also stop the unit right away when
    hitting the goal line. In that case the calibration will be a little bit
    different, because the last data is not arriving, however, the formula will
    still correct the data so whether the unit is showing 420 or 380 meters
    during a 400 meter calibration, then the result will be 400 meters. The
    foot sensor know that by running like you do, then the result will be 400
    meters no matter whether the S1 measures 380, 400 or 420 meters. That is
    the good thing about the calibration formula. You can try different
    distances, and ways to calibrate, and then use the calibration which you
    find best and most accurate.

There can be some small differences in the data which you see in the PPP4,
    compared to the data which you see in the S625x wrist unit. The reason for
    that is that the S625x display is updated constantly, but the data which
    you transfer to the PPP4 software is taken from samples which (depend on
    the REC RATE which you have set in the S625x). Make sure that you have
    chosen 5 sec rec rate.
    The data in the wrist unit is the most accurate, however our software team
    is working constantly, and maybe we will find a solution about how to
    transfer the exact results from the wrist receiver to the PPP SW. We have
    the Polar S810i which can measure beat to beat, or so-called RR-Recording.
    When using RR-Recording, then every single beat is transferred to the PPP4
    software. Though the memory is naturally limited.

1200 meters or more are good calibration distances. That gives the S625x
    and S1 running sensor time to make a good the best calibration factor for
    your running style."
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    And something in reply to Laszlo's questions.

"
    Thank you for passing on this email. It is very nice that you have such a
    high level conversation on runnersworld. We will try to assist as fast as
    possible when there is a question. However, unfortunately we can not visit
    all the forums all the time, so please send all the questions to
    helpdesk@polar.fi Then we will try to solve the issues asap.

It is true that you can not see the lap distance, only the exercise
    distance. However, if you set the interval, and distance based, then there
    is a counter which counts down how much you need to run before the next
    interval/recovery starts. I find that very useful, and use it often when
    running/walking.

You can not see the average pace, but you can see the average speed. That
    is atleast enough for me in order to find out my average pace. Further, if
    the pace limits are well set, then the runner has to run basically at
    his/her pace in order to avoid the audible alarm, so the average pace has
    to be very close to the preset pace limits.

Actually the power used when doing heart touch is so small, that it will
    not use up the battery. You can not deactivate the heart touch function,
    that is correct. However there is one easy way to avoid heart touch, and
    that is by not putting the wrist receiver close to your chest transmitter.
    I never use heart touch, but have not had any problems as I dont just put
    the receiver close to my chest receiver.

Once again, thank you for all the questions and feedback. It is very
    valuable for us."
  • Options
    Hi guys. I have 2 interesting phenomenon to report.

Number 1 I went for a run last night at a fast (for me) pace and when running hard up a steep hill my heart rate read as 101% or 190 bpm. Now I'm 33 so using the tried and tested formula my max hr should have been 187bpm and using polar's test it came as 188bpm. Now I ran at between 186 and 190bpm for approx. 4 minutes solid. What does this mean? Am I some kind of freak? Generally at rest the HRM is accurate for sure as it corresponds with my pulse so what is wrong my max hr or the hrm itself? PS. My resting HR is approx. 54 bpm. Also how accurate is the VO2 max figure from the polar test and what does it actually mean anyway, mine is 57 but that means bugger all to me. I'm certainly no superman as my fastest mile is 6.5 mins and my fastest 5 mile is 44 mins.
    Finally on this topic, how would I get a completely accurate max hr and vo2 max figure for myself? is it a GP job?

Now the second thing.............. At the front door of my house the other night I started recording my exercise set but had forgotten to switch on the footpod. I stood around chatting to the missus for a minute or two and then looked at the display, it showed a pace of 5:36sec per mile and a distance of 0.05 miles even though footpod was OFF and I hadn't gone anywhere. I cancelled the session and started it again with the footpod switched on and everything was fine. Anyway I have now tried this several times and it is always the same, on an exercise set with the running function activated if I start recording WITHOUT the footpod switched on it defaults to a pace of around 5:34 to 5:36 per mile and notches up the distance accordingly without you going anywhere. Will you guys please try this too and let me know if its the same for you. Your feedback on either or both of these points would be appreciated.
  • Options
    3Legs

I tried the same as you, again I was on my way out talking to my missus and reassuring the kids I wouldn't fall into the canal… the display on the watch says “Check Sensor” if the foot pod is not on and if cleared will return after 20 seconds or so – If I wanted to run without the sensor I think this would annoy me.

I also switched the pod off on my warm-down (just to save 5 minutes worth of battery juice) and again the display eventually changes to “Check Sensor”.

A problem I have had is switching the foot pod on, sometimes it switches on and starts flashing after holding the button for 10 seconds, but a couple of times it has taken a good 30 seconds+, holding that little button for that time makes my thumb sore – ahhhh

TT
  • Options
    TT,I have tried a couple of times to run without the sensor and the "check sensor" reading is annoying as it hides the HR and time on watch. Does anyone know if you can use as a normal HRM/Chrono without this message.

Benny.
  • Options
    I get the check sensor message also. but if you chnge the display window to show pace and distance you still get the readings as I mentioned even though it intermittently flashes "check sensor". Benny. To avoid getting the message just press and hold the bottom right button while in recording mode to toggle "run" on or off. This will stop the annoying message.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Hey 3 Legs.

Interesting points there.

For point 1 - I would say that you now have a new maximum HR! The formulas don't work for everyone as a spot on figure, and it is more likely that you will be a good couple of beats either side of your age calculated max.

It is unlikely that the HRM was giving a wrong reading, unless you were being electrically interfered with - and then you would expect the spike to be much bigger.

Were you really going for it?

On point 2, I haven't noticed that, but will try it out today.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Been reading this thread for last few weeks and in the end gave in a nd bought one of these devices. Wow its great.

However just like a number of you had a few problems mostly to do with data transfer between watch and PC (and back again). Anyway after chasing around for answers I logged onto the Polar site and found a newer version of the PC s/w. Downloaded it yesterday and now all seems to work ok. Have succesfully sent excercises from PC to watch and back again and now it does not seem to corrupt/modify.

Also having read that many of you are having problems with measured distances, I was determined to calibrate right from the off.

As I do have a GPS I used this to measure and exact mile, then as per manual calibrated watch. I have now completed 3 runs over the sames distance (I know - boring) and each time it was well within 98%- 99% accuracy.

One thing I do have an issue with is the altitude. I have set this to on and (using my GPS) entered the altitude for my home (310ft) however as soon as I start running from my house it drops to 260 although the road is flat. More interestingly whenever I get back the altitude differs from the start by upto 70ft!

Anyway must get on with some work, but hope this may help.

cheers,
    Jon
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    So then 3legs - I tried out what you were saying, and you're right. If you are standing still, start the stopwatch but don't have the footpod turned on, it still records speed/distance - BUT, if you turn the footpod on, and stay where you are it stops - it knows that you aren't moving.

It is a bit odd, but does it matter? Just don't forget to turn the pod on!!

Just went for a plod in my new shoes, changed the pod from old to new, and it still read the same distance - which is great.

Tip of the day (from Finland and relating to the S625x)):

"If you place the S1 high up on the shoe, then the measurement becomes most accurate and consistant. That is due to the foot pod will be be affected by the movement of the lower part of the foot, and that it will
    remain tighter than if placed on the lower part of the shoe."

So there you go.

• Options
    Correction to my previous advice to Benny. To get rid of the "Check Sensor" message you press and hold the bottom right button NOT in recording mode but while still in the display mode. (ie. after first press of start button , not after the 2nd press.

To Tallbird, yes, I was giving it some Dixie running at 8.5 min a mile pace up a steep hill when I would normally do about 11 min/mile. I was out for a run with my boss who is a much faster runner and was trying hard to keep up. Does a higher max rate mean I'm fitter or less fit?
  • Options
    tallbird

The pod spider is the same size as my laces, so I'm not sure if I could get it any higher!
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Apparently (I have been reading a bit recently) your maximum heart rate is set - you can't do anything about it - and it isn't any indication of fitness or anything.

The only thing you can change is your resting HR.

I tried to do a max HR test (running up and down a big hill) but my legs gave out before my heart did and I didn't get it as high as I have seen it before.

Best place to 'get' your max HR - last 200m of a race!!
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Know what you mean TT - although I did manage to put mine one row of laces further up last night - but maybe I just have big feet!
  • Options
    Hi!
    I'm writting you from Argentina. I've been reading you for the last weeks.
    I think it's going to take a lot of time since we have this kind of watches in this country. =(
    Luckily I have a friend living in Madrid, that's coming next thursday and she has bought one for me!!! =)
    I'm very anxious, I've downloaded the manual from Polar's web page and I'm done with it!
    I'm using an Accurex Plus, but I think using the footpod it's going to be amazing!
    Sorry about my English!
    Cheers,
    Saga.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    Saga - you are going to love it!

• Options
    Greetings from the US. I just got my s625x earlier this week. I am concerned my watch display may be defective. When I look at the display from a slight angle the display is slightly discolored, like there is a small rainbow on it. Does anyone else's do this? Could I have a defective coating?

If I look at the display straight-on it looks fine.

I'll see if I can take a photo and post a link to it here.
  • Options
    Hi Jeff. Welcome to the club. Mine looks a little discoloured sometimes too. Usually when its cold. I did a little research on the subject as my ipod screen sometimes does the same thing and it is a characteristic of LCD display screens on this type of device that the liquid crystals react to changes in temperature by creating a rainbow-ish effect. Try to keep the device at as stable a temperature as you can but ultimately it won't do it any real harm, just annoy you I guess.
  • Options
    tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I had noticed the same thing with the display - good to hear that it is 'normal'.

• Options
    Greating from Spain:
    I would like to buy one S-625X, but I want to know how exactly device is about distance and speed?. Could anyone say me that?.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Mardos - Not entirely sure what your question is saying, but I think if you read from the beginning of this conversation thread you'll find your question has already been answered. (it uses an accelerometer btw).
  • Options
    Thanks Chaos:
    I was reading all questions and answers about it, but only few people are sure when S625X measures speed and distance.
    Cheers
  • Options
    Can anyone please tell me the difference between altitude and ascent? How are they calculated? Are they significant to runners?
    How are you calibrating altitude?
  • Options
    Altitude--synonymous with elevation--is your vertical distance above sea level. Ascent is the gain in elevation since you started recording. Altitude is extrapolated based on barometric pressure. Since barometric pressure changes slightly with weather, if you want accurate readings, it is necessary to calibrate the unit when the weather changes; otherwise an overcast days would give you a slightly different altitude then a sunny day despite being at the same elevation.

Based on a topographic map I know that the altitude at my house is exactly 183ft, so if I'm leaving from my house I calibrate my altimeter to that. I'm also an avid skier and I know the elevation at ski resorts, summits, road passes, etc. so I can calibrate my unit when I reach these known-elevation points.

Are altitude and ascent applicable to runners? To me Yes. Since I do a lot of backcountry traveling it is very valuable for numerous reasons including navigation, reporting, tracking trip progress, etc. At the very least you should enable the altitude function so you can see hills when you graph your workouts.

If you only care about ascent and seeing hills in your graphs then in theory it's never necessary to calibrate your unit as the elevation difference between two points over a small span of time (ie, the time it takes you to run up a hill) will be virtually identical to if you unit was calirbated.
  • Options
    In regards to the discoloration issue I reported earlier, since I've started to use my unit more the discoloration has become less frequent. I'm not sure if it's caused solely by temperature ot not, light and humidity also seems to be factors but it's so intermittent it's hard to pinpoint the exact cause.
  • Options
    Meanwhile I won my fight against the manual and did some running.
    I started without calibration and got a 9.9 km reading on the wrist unit for a route which should be 10.55 km - rather disappointing, more than 6% difference. I still don't have an IR interface so I'm not able to see a more precise distance. The display should display more digits ...
    Yesterday I did a calibration run (5 laps on a 400m track). I stopped the calibration immediately after completing the last lap (as suggested by Laszlo) and got a factor of 1074. Wow, that 7.4% difference.
    However, this factor makes 10.63km out of 9.9 km which means only 80m difference for 10.55 km. Plus I didn't ran the shortest line when running on the 10.55km route - so this were some extra meters.
    So the result is pretty good. The calibration run was done with a speed of about 5 min/km on a rather soft surface and the 10.55 km run was at a speed of about 4 min/km on asphalt. Amazing ...

The altimeter also works fine. I had a difference of less than 2 meters on three 1-hour-runs when I returned to the starting point and a difference of 4 meters on a 2.5-hours-run. Pretty good! However, I also had one run with a difference of 7 meters, but on this run the weather changed from cloudy sky to rain.

So far I'm quite happy :-)
  • Options
    Hi, it's me again :)
    I would like to present some new observations regarding S625X and my testing work:

- The wireless transminsion from footpod S1 to wrist unit S625X is very sensitive for elektro-magnetic noise like: high voltage lines, tramway... You can hear two short bips and sometimes (with very high noise) you can read on the display "check sensor"... on PC aplication you can see the abnormal values (chart). This problem applay rather S1 only... the HR transmiter can work without disruption.

- Maybe it will not be the surprise that the accuracy of distance/speed measurement depends on type of surface/style of run/ pace (under test) and ... as well type of shoes. (accelerometer technology)
    Yes, you have to calibrate S625X for every used type of shoes ! (just remember the calibration factor eg. 1005 or 990...) My example:
    - For the Nike Air Pegasus Storm (very good cushion) I use the calibration factor 1000 - 1005.
    - I have bought Asics Nimbus VI (top cushion model from Asics but.. not such cushioned like Nike Pegasus) and I have noticed 200m difference per every 10km. After several tests I have got the correct calibration factor for these shoes - 979 (21m less at 1km)

Now, I'm testing how big influence has the speed of run on the accuracy of measurement (I have noticed some differences).

Regards
    Laszlo