Options

Medical Certificate for France

I would like to run a marathon in France later this year, but understand some kind of medical certificate is required with entry. Can anyone let me know what form this should take/supply a suitable wording for me to give to my GP?

Comments

• Options
    I have done this twice (shorter races, but I don't suppose it makes any difference). In both cases, they accepted a letter on headed paper from my GP saying he/she confirmed that I was fit with no ongoing health problems and there was no health reason why I shouldn't be able to run in a 10K race [in fact]. I don't think they were fussed about the wording in either case, and they didn't require a translation!
  • Options
    Not sure how well this will paste into the forum, I've copied it from a Word file, so can email it to you if you like. I've used this for the Medoc marathon and it was accepted.

CERTIFICAT DE NON CONTRE - INDICATION A LA PRATIQUE DU SPORT EN COMPETITION
    MEDICAL CERTIFICATE PROVING APTITUDE TO THE PRACTICE OF SPORTS IN A COMPETITION

Je soussigné(e): _______________________________________Docteur en médicine
    I the undersigned Doctor of medicine

Apres avoir examine ce jour: _____________________________________________
    have, today examined

Mlle/Mme ou M.: ______________________________________________________
    Miss, Mrs or Mr:

Né(e) le: ____________/_______________/_________
    Born on :

certifie que son état de santé actuel ne présente pas de contre-indication à la pratique du
    sport en compétition lors des épreuves organisées par AMCM (Marathon du Medoc 2004).
    certify that he/she demonstrates a level of fitness that does not prevent the practice of sports in competition during the events organised by AMCM (Medoc Marathon 2004).

Date:
    Date

Signature et cachet:
    Signature and stamp:

This document is to be completed less than 12 months before the event.
    The English translation provided in italics is for information only, the French text is the basis of the certificate.

• Options
    I did the Paris Marathon a couple of years ago and just a simple note fron your GP is sufficient.
  • Options
    Did you actually get a doctor to sign it for you Sore Toes (for which I assume they'd charge) or just fake a signature yourself?
  • Options
    No, I did actually go to the doctor, who just signed it and didn't charge - but then he didn't take my blood pressure or anything else.
    A friend in Cambridge was charged £50 for a double appointment and forced to undergo a full health check before her doctor would sign it. Faced with that prospect I probably would have faked it!
  • Options
    Isn't it the case that if you're a member of a running club you don't have to sign?

:-/
  • Options
    what am I talking about?!

"don't have to provide a medical certificate" I should've said.

Holy Colostomy Bag Batman, I've lost my marbles! >=-0
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but I believe the medical certificate is in place of membership to a French athletics federation which incudes a medical certificate.
    My GP was fairly relaxed about it and just asked me if I was fit. Which of course I replied yes to. He didn't charge me either, although not everybodt was so lucky. I believe some people did forge theirs. Not I would want to condone such behaviour......
    However, when I went to register some British runners were handing in their certificates which like mine were in English and the French officials were letting them through without even bothering to read them. I wouldn't worry about it too much.