Ultra Marathon-Getting Started Advice

I'm a relative running novice with 4 Marathons (2 London, 1 New York, 1 Ottawa)under my belt with a couple of additional Marathons lined up.

I'm looking for a new challenge apart from trying to better my Marathon P.B.(3:56)and have decided through reading Runners World I would like to try running Ultra Marathons.

Does anybody have any advice about how to get started? I.E. What distance should one aim for at the begining? Any training advice? Any recomendations for events that a beginner should consider? Any advice would be gratefully recieved and appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Ultras come in all shapes and sizes.... If you want to do a road run that is longer that the usual marathon then I think there are far better contributors to this forum than me to offer advise.

However, if you fancy doing a so called extreme ultra marathon - ie something like the Marathon des Sables or worse then you might like to have a look here if you look down the left hand side there is a link to a beginners guide. Treat this as a starter and I am certain a lot wiser people will be along shortly.
  • Well at the moment I just looking to extend beyond standard marathon distance.

The Marathon Des Sables is something that interests me but I think it's something to aim for in the future! I'll have a read of your site to get me started!

Cheers
  • There is a very good joint publication from the Road Runners Club/Trail Runners Association - a directory of distance events. This lists loads of races from half marathon through the range of ultras.

The RRC also publish a book called Training for Ultras - its not the most exciting prose in the world but the basics are there. Also that book The Lore of Running has a lot about ultras. The author ran the Comrades (90k) more than a few times. You can also get training schedules from the Commrades Marathon website in S. Africa.

Of course you will also find events on the RW listings. The logical place to start would be a 'short ultra' such as a 50k or the 33 mile Dartmoor Discovery (June) or the 35 mile Two Bridges Race in Scotland (August).

My first ultra was London to Brighton (54 miles - October 3rd). I wish I'd done a shorter one first but for a variety of reasons it didn't work out that way in 2002 when I did it. For that race all I wanted to do was finish within the cut-off time (9:50) and for that I followed Hilary Walkers programme on the RRC website.

Only 3 weeks away is the 50 mile challenge in Kent. Its a multi lap event so that you can stop at any time and get a medal for 30, 40 or 50 miles.

Top tip: on most ultras you do need to eat. Learn to either use energy gels or if you are doing a long one (such as L2B) then I recommend rice pudding. Remember, its never a crime to walk and you are better off building in short walking/eating breaks than waiting until you can run no more.

Put simply, an ultra isn't that much harder than a marathon as you go much slower anyway (or rather I do!). The training tends to just concentrate on building up the milage and getting used to being on your feet for 4-6 hours rather than the 3 you might be used to with a marathon.

I hope this helps.
  • I agree with what Ian has said above, I would also suggest something around the 50K mark as your first ultra, where depends on where your based and whether you like to travel to run. South Africa has many ultras and I would particuarly recommend Two Oceans next March (56K) as a) its a beautiful course b) theres a large entry whichmeans there is always someone to run with and c) its very well organised.
    Anything around the 50 - 60K mark is quite easy to step up to from a Marathon, the training remains pretty much the same the pace drops a little. Beyond 60K it gets to be a mental battle rather than physical.

Good Luck
  • Ian/Dave,

Thanks for the great advice. Gives me something to start thinking about. I'll keep you updated and may pick your brains further. Thanks again all.

• i worked through tim noakes' beginners schedule last night.. well the last 13weeks of it (its 22 in total).

he reckons it's suitable for taking you from marathon up to an ultra of 80km.

weekly distance in km looks like this:
    21 + race
  • in contrast an alternative beginners schedule looks less daunting:

34+race

(thinking about it i'm not sure who's that first one was)

tim noakes' was simpler but even tougher building from 1308k to 184k with a 4 week taper to the race.
  • THe 2 oceans was my first ultra-like you Valentine my marathon pb was just under 4 hours, unlike you I'd only run 2 marathons, we were in South Africa 2 weeks before the London Marathon and I was persuaded to run the 2 Oceans, after all I was training for London so had the fitness. IT was a great event and a real revelation. I've done 53 marathons and 26 ultras now!
    Good luck to you.
  • if you join the road runners club then you get the book for free. there are not many ultras in the uk so you don't have much choice. if you are looking to do one later in the year then maybe the two bridges will do or even the downland challenge on july 25. thats an easy one to get to if you are in the south and at 30mls not too long. it is quite hilly though. or even the london to brighton in october. as far as training is concerned it isn't much different from marathon training you can just lengthen your long runs and maybe add another medium long run midweek.
  • There may not be many ultras in the UK but the calander still seems too crowded, all the events seem to bunch together.
    How about the Boddington (Glos.) 50k, August 1st?
  • there's loads of events! just gotta use your imagination.
  • Another suggestion is to join the Long Distance Walkers Association - they have a website. Nearly all their events are open to runners too and are typically 20 - 100 miles through lovely countryside. They are most definitely not races though - which makes them great training with no pressure. They also usually have back up with feed stations etc. So, an opportunity to have an unhurried run over 30 miles with snacks along the way. How can anyone beat that? Apart from possibly not running... No I don't mean that.

I'd also endorse what Andrew said, its worth joining the RRC if only for the directory and the newsletter. Dedicated amatures in the best sense of the word - i.e. they do it for the love of the sport and not for glory or cash.
  • Hey Tim! I didn't know about Boddington. That would be perfect for my L2B training. I'll be there!
  • Excellent-not long though-get that entry in.
  • Hi I did The KIMM and the Dublin marathon back to back last year and I hope to the try the MOB LITE next year has anyone got any advice on traing for this event.
    I am doing the KIMM again if I get a place this year as well as some 1/2 marathons and the sandstone trail run.
    Most of my running is done carrying the KIMM kit and at the present I do about 30 mile a week deponding on work.
  • my first ultra marathon was 100 and a bit miles in 23 hours 11 minutes. didn't do any specific training for it. ultras are dead easy!
  • FoggoFoggo ✭✭✭
    Is the London to Brighton a good event as a first ultra?
  • london to brighton is a good event for your first run!!!
  • candy have you considered going for counselling?
  • i did have a nasty blister though at the end of it. well it was more that my heel had dissolved.
  • Tony, the mob lite is a great race as an entry level into multi stage, day, ultra racing, basically 2 marathons in 2 days over varying terrain, carrying a backpack with supplies. you just need to up your mileage over cross country for training perposes. a couple of weeks before that in february is the well organised thames meander run, around 54 miles along the thames towpath, well organised and a good entry level into non stop ultras, see here:

www.thamesmeander.com
  • I did the Dartmoor discovery in June which is 32 miles.
    I had previously done 2 marathons over a couple years so this was my first ultra.
    Basically trained as if for the marathon but built it up for longer and did longer long runs in training.
    Also was part of my build up to the jungle marathon in Sept - 125 miles in 7 stages ( similar set up to MdS).
    The ultra was hard as on road and also dartmoor is very very hilly- but enjoyed it a lot.
    I`m now doing 6 hr runs on a sunday to build up further-

If i can do it anyone can i guess- it amazes me how the body can train and get used to longer and longer runs/etc,,

Anyway - good luck with whichever one you choose !