Adidas Flora London Half Marathon

Comments

• Yes it is on the circuit. I run a 10k race there a couple of years ago - part of the East Midlands Grand Prix. I think it will be at leat twice around the circuit.

• Silverstone??..I,ll be looking at 1.45 then.....Thats 1:MINUTE 45 SECONDS ON ME BIKE ! As long as they let me start at the front; otherwise things could get messy!!!
  • Silverstone circuit is 3.19 miles round...that will be 4 and a bit times round then....
  • Well at least it will be novel. I welcome any mass participation event as part of the build up to FLM after all those other hundreds of miles run alone I like running with a big crowd. Also forces me to run relatively steadily and the RW pacers are there too. Bottom line is if you don't fancy it, don't enter it.
  • I'm with you on this, John--but even if they let us start at the front, won't we lap everybody pretty sharpish?

Nope--looks like we'll just have to run like everybody else. I suppose we could always be sad bikers and make vroom-vroom-kneeow gear-changing noises as we trot along . . .

Mind you--running round Silverstone would be pretty good prep for a track day there!!!
  • I entered the Silverstone because I wanted a distraction from waiting for my FLM acceptance (light dawned at 6.30am to check my bank account, cheque cashed, so no luck for me this time)... I'm starting to think I made the wrong choice as a fairly dark picture is being painted on this thread!! If it helps I hear on another thread that it's once round the lap, then off site until the last 3 miles again round the course, for a final surge to the quagmire of a finish...!!! I agree that it is a business decision (Mr Bedford et al are quite commercial already, think of the FLM expo etc etc.). Don't feel able to comment on whether this is a bad thing or not. The Silverstone is being advertised as "Slick", i.e. commercial... ??!! As it's my first ever, any advice on a more memorable/prettier/nearer-to-London half much appreciated..
  • I'm not bothered that the new race is 100 miles away from London - nothing wrong with that in itself - but then how can it be called the London Half Marathon?

If it's because it's organised by London Marathon the company - why not just call it the London Marathon again, even though it's only a half marathon!! :o)
  • I,m not going now Mim ;Got my Rejection thru yesterday and I,ve got the hump!! Last thing I want is some Race announcer blabbering on about "Good preparation for the London.....Thats a good time...bout sub 3 e.tc e.t.c!!" Had enough of that at Wokingham Half coupla years ago when he presumed everyone there was doing the "FLT"
    No; I,m just gonna sulk until Sunday ,then I,m gonna blast it out my system with a nice hard 12mile muddy trail sesh! Then plan my next races;
    To prove I,m not bitter ,to all of you sucke.....OOPS![sucessful!!] entrants; GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY BOTH EVENTS...;John
  • has anyone received there numbers yet or even confirmation that they've got a place??
  • The lack of information about the race is spectaclar!!!!

Is it really happening?
  • Martin, I entered on-line and received a confirmation email. Presumably the details / joining instructions will be sent out nearer to the date, it isn't for another three weeks yet, so no cause for alarm.
  • Is someone looking for a place at Silverstone?

I wish I could, but horrible injuries prevent me from full training so if someone would like to take my place, please let me know.

I have nothing but an email confirmation at this stage.
  • Has anybody entered by post except me?
    Have you heard anything yet?
  • Just recieved the stuff in the post this morning!
  • Has anybody that entered on-line received any race info?
  • wahaaaaayyyy!!!!!received my number and details today!!!see you all soon
  • I entered on-line and got my stuff towards the end of last week. Apart from the lack of drawstring for the kit bag, it all seems to be very well organised. Looking forward to it.
  • From the earlier opinions on this thread i was strating to think that i was going to be the only one there.
    I applied online and havent yet received my number and details..... should i be worried, has anyone else not received theres yet??
  • I got all my stuff in the post this morning, can't really see what the fuss has been about as the race isn't for another 2 weeks. Sometimes I don't receive race details and numbers until the week of the race.
    The course looks, well um, different. 2 laps of Silverstone one clockwise one anticlockwise and a zig zaggy bit in the middle of the track and the race. Loking forward to running with loads of people though after a few lonely long runs training for FLM
  • Yes, I had all my number and details on Friday and I offered my place but nobody replied so I might have to run myself after all, though am worried about the distance, because I have not done it in the last few weeks (or months I think) I would love to run.

My shoes appear to be my biggest problem, my good old pair of adidas are great (but flat) and the 'new' ones are causing all sorts of trouble up to my hip. I only just discoverd that I may not have the injury at all but just badly fitting shoes, which I had bought after having my feet tested 'professionally'.
    Do I now buy myself a new pair of shoes - too late, isn't it? Or do I just not run??
  • If shoes are the only problem I'd get some new ones now and start using them. 2 weeks isn't long but at least you could get 7 or 8 runs in them before the race which should get you used to them. Not ideal preparation but I'd prefer to do that than not run at all.

Andy
  • Fantastic, just what I needed - I'll be off tomorrow first thing. Nice long run, and then lunchtime trip to the shops. I'll see you at Silverstone. I can do it, I know but I will be so sore later!! And I wanted to do it in 1.40 or so but now I am not sure.
  • Good luck Dee's Knees. I am looking forward to this one too
  • I've just read this thread, as was beginning to wonder if anyone was actually looking forward to it other than me. This will be my first big event (and only second ever half marathon), in preperation for the FLM. Looking to run a 1:45, with possibly a sub 4hr marathon, although with it being my first, any time will do, so long as I get over the line. I've heard the atmosphere is amazing, so can't wait.
  • I'm looking foward to it too! It'll be my first ever race so quite an experience!
    Hoping for times like yours Steve.
    See you there!
  • Has anyone got in their info a map of the course yet?

SB
  • Yes SB, it goes round the circuit one way, then to an inside track going the other way, using a bit of a runway I think, then back to outside of the circuit before returning to the track in the oposite direction to finish at the start point. This is all from memory of the map in the info, so may not be entirely accurate.

I would imagine that after an hour of running, there will be forumites spread all over the Silverstone complex!
  • SwissBobby

I have just taken a photo of the course from my confirmation book. Would you like it e-mailing?

Bullfinch
  • Dee,
    Good luck with the shoes. Took me a while to find some that suited me but now I wouldn't run in anything else - I'm a dedicated Asics fan.
    Billie,
    Good to see you're running this too.
    Meggles & Steve,
    I'm planning on similar times to you - might be a bit difficult to predict in view of the size of the foeld but there are pacers. I'm also looking forward to it. It's just that the course looksa bit wierd. Good luck in your first 1/2 Meggles.
  • that would be great BF, thanks for that