Seaton Half Marathon - 12 September 2004

paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
I am going to make an attempt at the Land Speed Record (paskha's) at Kingston marathon on 10 October 2004 (present PB 4:29)

On the way I would like to run this Half and attempt sub 2:00 hrs (only done in the previous millennium!!) as it is ideally situated near my parents in Lyme Regis

any information about this race would be welcome (have just tried a google search, found results but no website / entry form

Thanks
Lize - paskha

Comments

• Hi Pashka. As far as Devon & Cornwall go, I can't think of a better half course on which to try for a PB, except perhaps Bideford in March. It's 2 x 6 miles laps preceded by a dead-flat start loop of one mile, with one hill to speak of halfway round each lap, coming at about 4 miles & 10 miles. If it's not too warm or too windy, and your marathon training is going well, anything is possible. I got my half PB on the original Seaton course (no, it wasn't short!).
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dunna - where can I get an entry form??

It's a nice date - mid September - I thought about it last year but it was the 14th which just happens to be my parents wedding anniversary & dad's bday

also on 12 Sept 1998 - my 10-mile PB at BUPA Great South is still my PB - 84:58 !!!!
    (no chip - Official time 86:29)

I've also heard you can pick up a GRIZZLY entry form there - now there's a challenge I was going to attempt in 2000 !!
  • Pashka - you can find a link to the race entry form from here

• Hi pashka - I,ve just entered this one i havent done it before but train in the area its a 2 lap flat course .You should do the Grizzly it,s great fun as long as you like mud!!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dunna - I know where the site is now - I can remember hearing odd things about the runner bean ??!!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    japslapper !!

I have really enjoyed mucky courses - but don't do them very often - I seem to enjoy them a lot - then later I just think "how did I get away with that??" and consider myself fortunate not to be injured!!

always thought Grizzly was an event you have to do at least once

the club I belonged to in Surrey ALWAYS went to Tough Guy - I was scared of that one!!
  • The trouble is that having done the Grizzly once, you want to do it again! It's addictive.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Dunna - a bit like the Dartmoor Discovery then !!

only the Discovery is all on the road - apart from the first year I did it, back in the last century, when the flash floods had us nearly swimming (well, there was at least 4 inches of muddy water!!)

where does the race START?

ok go & look at the website ....

THE HOOK & PARROT - SEATON

to save my parents doing a taxi service, I'll bring my bike to Lyme Regis - it can't be far - well, it's further than I thought - 7 miles - are they HILLY??

I may even get my sister to do it - she will be travelling 150 miles WEST from Surrey & I will be travelling 150 miles EAST from Penzance
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hope to do this one as a pre-marathon race. Sounds like a good one to do!
  • It is hilly between Lyme & Seaton - unless you swim!

Do you find that people in other parts of the country can't seem to get their heads round the fact that somewhere in Devon could be halfway between a town in Cornwall & one in Surrey!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    LOL Dunna - that's true you know - does sound a bit odd!!

ofcourse M&D are actually in Dorset living in Lyme Regis, but just toddling up the road from their flat to buy a paper meant going into Devon!!

I ran the Launceston Half last Sunday & ran into Devon - so is Devon the bigger county? but Cornwall is the longest!! Land's End to Plymouth must be about 100 miles by road, so say 90 as the crow flies (what crow? it's all seagulls & gannets down here)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Hilly - hope to see you there !! will you have to travel far?

Target Times

paskha - 1:59
    paskha's sister (even older than me!) - 1:45?
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi paskha I'm in Dorset so Seaton is only about a 45 mile journey for me. I've decided to definitely do this one now as it falls just right for attempting a good run before Cardiff marathon on Oct 3rd.

Target Times

hilly - 1:30
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Just changing my target time.

Target Times

hilly - 1:32
  • Someone will probably correct me, but I think that Devon is the biggest county by area, and Cornwall must be the longest tip to tip - it certainly must have the longest coastline.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Don't ask me my geography is nearly as bad as my maths!:o)

So I understand then that Seaton is a good course for a pb attempt?
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    hilly

It took me 4 minutes longer than Cheddar last year, but I put at least half of that down to my free RW watch giving up on me part way through the first lap.

I'll be just back from my (non-running) hols by then, so at least I won't be over-trained! I'll be using it as a marker to see how much effect my Cheddar training plan has.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    As this is exactly 3 weeks before my marathon I hope to be quite fit!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    boing 'cause it's on page 3.
    hilly - possibly a good way to start your taper?

Target Times

90 minutes - 1:34
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Yes, I thought it was good timing for that. Quite looiking forward to doing a new course and hope to be a lot fitter than I was at Plymouth with my awful injury run!
    Didn't realise you were at Plymouth, sorry I missed you.

I managed to do this year's pw there - whatever happens I'm not going slower at Seaton or Cheddar!
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    It looks like I won't be doing Kingston M as my GFA attempt on 10 October!! followed by Dublin 0n 25 October (did this in 2002 and got PBs at both!) as my finances aren't going to stretch :0((

my sister is planning to do Abingdon M on 17 October - driving up from Surrey by car - so at the moment we will both do Seaton Half (I also have Truro Half a week later) & I will join her & try for the GFA time at Abingdon!!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

I've just entered and will go for a PB so a highly hopeful 1:25 for me - not sure if I will be able to do this with the slower marathon training as like Hilly, will be doing the Cardiff marathon so should (better) be fit enough.

Doug my brother in law with a creditable 2:01 at Plymouth after a 18 year lay-off is also running and looking at 1:50 - 1:55.

Doug - 1:50-1:55
    Ouchouch - 1:25

What's the course like - appearance/ scenic wise?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Ouchouch - I think I need to alter this

Doug - 1:50-1:55
    paskha's sister (is she really older than paskha?) - 1:45
    Ouchouch - 1:25
    OuchOuch

Course appearance... to be frank, Seaton is not the most attractive seaside town but starting by the sea has to be a good start. After a slightly boring (but flat) 1 mile loop to make up the distance you travel up the Axe Valley which is attractive. Then a slight rise & up on to a main road with views of countryside. Unusual hazard of a tramway crossing the road here, I had to stop briefly for the tram last year! Then you drop back into Seaton, through the outskirts, some shops & back to the sea front. Then you do it again, with a backwards version of part of the original loop to finish running back through the start!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound too exciting a course, but I'm sure it could be worse-we could be running round a sewers or something!:o)

What was your PW time 90 mins? Mine this year was 1.36 and I was not happy, but could hardly put any weight on my left leg so don't know how I even got round!
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    90 mins

Thanks for the course description. Saying afterwards I would have run quicker if it wasn't for the tram could be a new one for me.

Just being nosey but could I refine the question posed by Hilly to what is the variation in peoples PB's and PW's this year.

I'll kick-off.
    PB 1:26:26 at Plymouth
    PW 1:31:58 at Dartmoor Vale - should have been quicker as flatter but really struggled with the heat and lack of water.
    Variation: 5 minutes 32

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Trouble is I do lots of races, but don't always "race" them!!

PB Launceston 2:06:55 4/7/04 (ran "all out" after the first 1.5 mile "warm-up" & did a "course best" by over 6 mins)

PW Plymouth 2:09:20 30/5/04
    (this is the "proper" PW!!)

PW Torbay 2:11:35 27/6/04 (but incs a pit-stop in a hotel of over 3 mins)

ACTUAL
    PW Bideford 2:36 (they didn't put any times after 2:30 in the results!! although the clock was running & our times were written down)

(At Bideford I jogged round with a friend from Truro RC - so doesn't really count)

WHEW !!!

(Sorry OuchOuch - simple question, but cant give a simple answer!!)
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    forgot the "variation" bit

PB Launceston 2:06:55 4/7/04 (ran "all out" after the first 1.5 mile "warm-up" & did a "course best" by over 6 mins)

PW Plymouth 2:09:20 30/5/04
    (this is the "proper" PW!!)

Variation: 2 mins 25 secs

PS. ofcourse there is a big variation in courses - the fact that Launceston is considered one of the toughest Halfs in the SW - makes me feel very positive about my improvement

PPS. I had a carp run at Plymouth too - and I tried but felt so slow (2:03 in 2003 a week after DMV marathon) - I don't think we had adapted to the heat then

Re Launceston - I reckon most of us had adapted to some heat by then - and then we had a perfect cool day!!