Options

Seaton Half Marathon - 12 September 2004

Comments

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Where is the Hook & Parrot? I'll look for it when I arrive, which I'm hoping to do by 9:30. Also, is car parking close to race start and easy to find?

Weather forecast is putting me off more than hills-rain I don't mind, but the predicted wind could be a pain!
  • Options
    Hook & Parrot is on the Prom near the town.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Moe, not that it makes much difference to me as I don't know the town, but I'm sure it'll be easy to spot.
  • Options
    Hilly,
    Hook and parrot is around the back of woolworths just by the roundabout.
    Good luck to you and everyone else on sunday, I really wish I was joining you all
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I look forward to visiting a new place as I've never been to Seaton before.
  • Options
    hilly

It really won't be a problem, Seaton is a small place. Head into Seaton & follow the signs for the centre/sea front. If you see any brown tourist signs for the tram follow them as there is a massive car park by the tram station. You'll need change as it is pay & display (but free for the Grizzly when you come back for that in March).

At the edge of the car park (on the way towards the sea front & start) is a two story hut they use for changing & baggage store with toilets nearby.

You'll be following other runners by now, but in case you're first(!) head towards the sea & town centre. There's a road (which will be closed for the race) fronting the beach called The Esplanade. This is where the start is & about 40m from the start you'll find the Hook & Parrot. There are also more toilets nearby.

If you get there early enough you can hop over the sea wall & practice running on shingle for the Grizzly.

I'll do my best to spot you, what does your kit look like? I'll be in my yellow & black club vest with "SWRR" on the front, but that won't help much as there will be many of us about.

• Options
    Really looking forward to the run.....should be a good day for running..

I'll be in specs and wearing No.27 - although if very sunny in sunglasses - so specs it's likely to be, and (if I find it) a white/ blue adidas running vest.

Due to my logistics of having 2 slow-dressing kids (only slow when we have to get somewhere!)looking forward to meeting you around 10 ish at the H&P.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that 90 mins.

I'll be wearing a red vest (Egdon Heath Harriers)and black running shorts. Although that early in the morning I'm likely to still be black Nike leggings and green or blue wind top.
  • Options
    I really can't make my mind up!!!

Seaton Half or Ash Eight?

............ I'll just have to see how I feel in the morning!

BTW, Rick K has posted photo's of forumites at Maiden Castle Loop
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Do Seaton Moe, it's more of a long run!:o)

Weather looking dodgy!
  • Options
    Really can't afford to push my luck with the orthotics so Ash it is............. besides I've just got up!

Good Luck or hope you did good and enjoyed it, depending on when your reading this!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Weather wasn't too bad for the first loop, although a cross wind on the main road and head on coming back into Seaton. It did seem to pick up though on the second loop and the esplande was like running into a brick wall. However, it was a nice 'undulating' course and will definitely do it again, hopefully on a less windy day. Good organisation and very friendly marshalls, people in general. Only gripe is about the prizes, giving 2 identical trophies to the winners for both overall win and cat position-only 'cause I lost out by this!:o) No seriously it's daft giving the same prize for win and cat win, they should share them more, being 1 prize only! Got a pb though, which really pleased me and had the weather been kinder still I know I would've got closer to the magic, for me, 1:30 mark. Time was 1:32:09

Lovely to meet both Pashka and 90 mins-well done to you both! See you at another race soon!
  • Options
    Hilly-Fantastic.2 pb's in a week.The only way is up.Go go Hilly.
  • Options
    Well done Hilly,

I made the right move doing Ash, especially with the cakes & BBQ after!
  • Options
    Nice one Hilly - I saw you briefly at the start at the countdown and thought you would not appreciate a hello at that stage.

Hope everyone else had a good run. I thought the conditions were good, most of all being cool, a bit blustery. Liked the 2 lap course, gave you something to prepare for second time round and always like a long flat finish. Well stewarded and watered.

I also got a PB too, wooo hooo - knocking 3 minutes off and coming in at 1.23.04 - I'm still checking my watch. Secret of todays success, maybe the 100 yard warm-up run, got there latish again and missed everyone again....2 weary kids delaying the off.

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Cakes and BBQ-next year!

Well done OuchOuch, that's a great time! Did you really enjoy the finish? Now I like flat finishes, but not into that wind! But agaree it was a good course and mainly the conditions were good. Glad I'd finished though when the driving rain came!:o)
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks LLL, you did excellent at Bristol today too-well done!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    There was a photographer on the course, so wonder if pictures get sent to us?
  • Options
    Well done all who ran. Nice ones Hilly and Ouch Ouch.
    My hubby and I did a short run today at the same time as your race so at least we were out there!

Need a shorter race at the end Sept, beg Oct. Not too hilly. I see there's one in Taunton and a later one in Honiton. Anyone done either of those?
  • Options
    Ooo I've just seen the Weymouth 10 on 23rd Oct but it says something about hills for masochists.......
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Oldhasbeen-the Weymouth 10 has 1 hill that you have to go up twice. It is a nasty hill, but the rest of the course is flat/small undulations.
  • Options
    oldhasbeen - Honiton 12k is a nice friendly race. 1 lap and just one hill, which is about a third of the way into the race. There's a thread on this which I'll boing for you & it would be good if you could post on it - I seem to be the only contributor!

As for Seaton I was happy with my 1:34:00 - exactly the time predicted! I like the long straight finish at Seaton, even if it was into the wind yesterday. I overtook 4 runners along that straight & had more left at the end, but the 13.1 was up.

For anyone interested, my splits were:
    6:57, 6:54, 7:12, 7:19, 8:47(!?), 5:47(?!), 6:50, 6:55, 7:37, 7:24, 7:47, 6:48 & 7:42. Certain that the 5th mile marker was far too late!

Great to meet hilly again & pashka, sorry to have missed you ouchouch (great time btw).

hilly - Great to have got a pb with that wind to overcome. Enjoy your taper, good luck with the marathon & see you at Cheddar.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done 90 mins. My splits were along the same lines as yours with the 5th mile being out by quite a way, if you remember me reading my splits! You can also see the hilly sections from mile 9-11, which I think was quite a hard part of the course! You managed to run faster than me in the final mile, I really struggled into the wind on the esplande. Interesting to read other people's splits! I deleted mine off my watch I'm afraid so can't share them.
  • Options
    hilly - seems like you were racing properly, while for some odd reason I had a bit left. I'll be training harder now, so that I don't hold you up at Cheddar! Exactly 4 minutes to trim off...
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll have a problem trimming 4 mins off with the right training.

Yes, I did race it yesterday. I chased people down to keep concentration levels going (it's so easy for the mind to wander and negative thoughts to enter!)and maintain the pace. However, I only looked at my watch at key miles-mile 6, 10, 11 & 12 to see how I was fairing.

It will be interesting to see if I can knock some off at Cheddar. It's about 4 weeks after my marathon, so as long as I recover properly I'm hoping I'll be ok.
  • Options
    Amazing hilly - you didn't look at your watch until mile 6? I look at mine at each split to check I'm on pace - I'll be boring you silly with all the info if we run together at Cheddar!

I did the Great West Run 3 weeks after flm this year. It was OK, 95 mins for a tough course, legs lacked a bit of zip but endurance was no problem. With 4 weeks to recover you should be fine. Key thing is probably not to train much, but I expect Mike Gratton could point you in the right direction...

• Options
    Thanks for the info guys.
    We're going to enter Honiton. It's a good distance to get back into things. I think a half was expecting too much at the moment.

Well done on your Seaton time 90 minutes.
    Good luck with your up and coming races all.
  • Options
    Hi Hilly! - well done on your PB - and it was good to meet up with you & 90 minutes - I thought the conditions were GOOD but by no means ideal, and the couple of hills were just short enough to keep going - but my split times seem a bit odd*, did the course have a certificate of accuracy ??!! I hope so

as for my "sub-2hr" time - it was insanely close with my watch reading 1:59:59!!! have checked the results & my official time was 1:59:57 - so woopee!! although I put my "predicted" time down on this thread as 1:59 - it was mostly wishful thinking (in my dreams) so to actually DO IT was amazing (Seaton was my 31st Half, now with 4 of them being sub-2 hr times, the previous 3 in 1998-99!!)

The whole race was mental for me - constantly telling myself to keep going, get on with it, stop whinging, keep concentrating, and that's where other runners are so helpful, often without realising it!! either when trying to keep up with them or passing them

I didn't take my usual energy drink and really missed it - somewhere before the mile 12 marker I suddenly felt depleted & panicked - and was reassured by the female runner who finished about half a minute ahead of me - Thankyou!! I was hoping to speak to her, but the chilly weather coming in meant most of us were seeking warmth & shelter

*my splits were:
    9:01, 8:30, 9:01, 9:02, 11:38(!?), 7:15(?!), 8:11, 9:00, 9:52, 9:34, 9:52, 8:36, 10:27