4 July race reports

Comments

• Listening to it first hand was too hard to take, stomach cramps from laughing so much !!
  • nick i'm glad you're here, as i couldn't find your previous explanation

explain again in words of one syllable exactly where you'll be, and when, tomorrow....
  • I am waiting for Ironwolfs report, I hope it all went well.
    I was having nightmares about forgetting to take my entire bike to Vitruvian, luckily Andy stepped in and let me have his, even though I couldn't get on it it was so high.
  • "nick i'm glad you're here, as i couldn't find your previous explanation

explain again in words of one syllable exactly where you'll be, and when, tomorrow...."

Andy, I'm assuming you can't get this info, so I got this for you

Subject: Longest Day Feedstation

Hi everyone and thanks for offer of help on the Sunday 18th.

The instructions are below, this covers timings, directions and phone numbers. If you have others coming with you then all the better as vocal support is always welcome on the lonely road of triathlon !!!!

If we (Chester Tri) have any big signs (WATER/ENERGY etc) they would be appreciated as they don't provide these. Also any club banners to big ourselves up I am sure we can put them up somewhere.

Bike Feed Station 2 & 3 instructions

*Location:** **Drink Stop2/3 in large lay-by at 32.5m & 67.2m (Hodnet

bypass).***

*Directions:*

*From A41 take A53 towards Shrewsbury at approximately 2 miles there is

a large lay-by where the station is to be situated*

*Timings:*

*0730 to set up*

*0810 1^st bike*

*1250 last bike on 2^nd lap*

*Other Information:*

*The supply wagon will be driven by Adam Thomson and Paul "the Whippet"

Rogers and will drop off the equipment and nutrition before you get

there. The SIS will need to be mixed and you will be given instructions.

You will also have a first aid kit for minor injuries.*

*Layout:*

*Bottle dump – SIS – Bananas - Water*

*Once you are finished head back to Wombourne if you wish*

*You will be supplied with a marshal vest and food back by Paul

Hughes/Paul Kingscott*

*Telephone No.s*

*Martin Dodd - Race Director 07775 773993*

*Paul Hughes 07753 754947*

*Paul Kingscott 07736 935913*

*Adam Thomson 07734 053115*

Look forward to seeing you on Sunday.

Nick
  • Cheers TCS, couldn't have said it better myself haha.
  • ha ha king louie i knew your mouth would get you in trouble sooner or later.
  • is ironwolf back today???
  • I was thinking the same thing Candy.........
  • shameless self-publicity boing

(well somebody did ask!)
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Where's Smiffy, anyway?
  • Has IW's report ended up on a different thread? I know the bike leg ended things for her but I'd still love to read the report if she wrote one.
  • Actually Orca I didn't write one, didn't think anyone would be interested in a DNF report. I'll write it now.
  • Arrived at Roth on Friday afternoon, checked into the hotel and went over to the Expo and registration. Walked around a while, talked to some friends, explained to bunches of people for what seems the 5 millionth time that no, my dogs are white shepherds not huskies, and no, it isn't difficult to keep them clean.
    All of a sudden it started to pour so I dived in to registration and found a massive queue in front of me. It took about 40 mins to get registered. As usual the goody bag contained a couple of decent items and a bunch of throw-aways - ate the sport bar, drank the water, and binned all the ads.
    Returned to the hotel, fed the dogs, ate a very nice meal in the restaurant. Wandered around with the dogs for a bit and noted cars with Swiss, French, and Brit number plates in the car park.
    Saturday more of the same, had a short bike ride to check things out, a very short jog, and drove over to check my bike in. After lugging my 2 transition bags down there too, was not best pleased to have to take them back again - the organisers decided that as more rain was forecast we would be allowed to check in all 3 bags on race morning. Good decision really, but I wished I'd known that before!
  • Ate a good pasta meal, and then turned in to get some rest. Up at 3am, met up with the Swiss guys at breakfast, consciously tried to eat some good stuff. Talked to the Brits, one of whom was entered in the Firefighters World Champs category. Too jittery to hang around, so got John and the dogs loaded into the car, went back to the swim start with my bags AGAIN, checked in all three. Went to get my arms and legs marked and had a large black X drawn on my calves, and made for the portaloos. Listened to some stirring music blasting out of the speakers, then the good morning addresses in a whole slew of different languages and national anthems. Checked my bike again, removed the plastic bags from seat and bars, checked the little goody bag on my handlebars again to make sure the jelly babies were still tucked down the side of the gels and power bars. The woman next to me smiled and said she too had jelly babies in her bag.
  • Visited the portaloos again. Put on my wetsuit and had a friend pull my zip up for me. Then of course I wanted to pee again! Seems to be a given that once you have your suit on you need to go.
    Time to get into the water. I knew John was somewhere on the bank but didn't see him. The music grew louder and all of a sudden our wave was off! They didn't seem to be getting away from me as quickly as usual, in fact another swimmer was parallel to me so I just concentrated on staying with him or her. I repeated in my mind over and over just to swim like in training, concentrate, breathe, stroke. The other swimmer pulled ahead, I caught up and passed, the other one went ahead again, and so it continued, over and over. I couldn't see far ahead as the sun was in our eyes, couldn't tell where I was except I was (a) in the canal (b) swimming o.k. (c)Not been overtaken yet by swimmers from wave 2. All of a sudden I could see the bridge ahead, so knowing there was not too much further to the turnaround. Kept swimming and all of a sudden the other person stopped and pushed up their goggles to see where we were, I did the same, then a marshal in a canoe in mid-stream yelled at us the buoy was just ahead and to turn around there. On the way back under the bridge and downstream again I sneaked a peek at the watch, was heartened to see it read 53 mins. The 2nd wave swimmers were passing us now on the other side so it wouldn't be long before they overtook. Sure enough, here came some white caps, still no prob but I moved a bit to the right so not to get smacked. That worked until the 3rd wave caught up, then I was getting hit on all sides by orange and red caps. I couldn't see my swimming 'partner' any more but just kept on plodding on, hoping not to get overtaken by too many more swim waves. I had swallowed some water and it tasted sort of oily, but here we were, swimming past the start point, so only a sort way to go now to the 2nd turnaround and then all of a sudden I was being helped out of the water, people all around cheering the finishers.
  • My watch read 1hr 52 which was a massive PB by more than 17 minutes! I was so pleased to get it over with, running through T1 pulling my wetsuit off my torso and arms, stupid me ran past my bag and had to come back looking for it! John said he saw me but I didn't notice him. In T1 tent loads of naked people were hopping around changing clothes, assisted by willing helpers. A woman helped me pull off my suit, and started handing me my clothes items as I asked for them, great stuff. I decided to use my thin short sleeved bike shirt as the weather was shaping up to be very hot. The helper pulled my bike shorts up for me and I was off to put my shoes on and hop on my trusty steed. Still didn't see John but I did see a couple of other club members who yelled at me as I cycled out of T1. First part went pretty well, I knew where the hills were and managed them o.k. on the first round. As always at Roth, there was a massive crowd on the two biggest hills, riding up the Solarer Berg was similar to what you will have seen on TV with the Tour de France coverage, just about room to ride up through the cheering screaming crowd without falling, then the photographer at the top snapping me and jumping out of the way just in time!
  • Started to feel my back getting sore but tried to ignore it. Was now on the longest uphill section, 10km to the top, again a large crowd, fantastic support, groups of cheerleaders and bands all the way. Nearing the top, all of a sudden I heard tooting, then the race car went past followed closely by the race leader going like a rocket and like Jan Ullrich in TdF STILL on his aero bars! Wish I was that strong. Was still going o.k., tore down the long downhill in a low crouch, and afterwards nibbled some more stuff. I needed a pit stop so looked for some bushes to stop in, couldn't find any real cover so I stopped anyway _ when you got to go, you got to go!
  • Finished the first lap in 3 hrs 40, saw John who yelled out and asked how I was, I said alright but my back hurt. He told me later he didn't think I looked too good at that point, which was a big surprise as I thought I was doing pretty well. I had solved my drinking problem by grabbing a bottle at each stop, drinking it down and throwing the bottle back to the helpers (Roth says you have to give an empty one to get a full one at the drinks stations, but they don't enforce it). From then on things went downhill. I was being passed by lots of riders but most of them had a green S on their legs, denoting that they were relay competitors and so hadn't swum.
    As I got further and further round the course, my back got worse and worse until the final showdown. Rounding the corner to start up the 10km again, my back muscles just locked and I nearly fell off. End of my attempt to beat this course. Later I found out that quite a few had quit on the run course because of the heat, in fact our Swiss friend from breakfast was one of those.
    I'll be back - but I don't know when.
  • i just wont-lie-down
  • actually that's not true in the slightest; i spend as much time as i possibly can lying down as a matter of principle
  • won't-lie-down Ironwolf

"Don't give up easy, do you?"

...and neither do you. I was with you all the way there. I think you need to do another one though. You have to kick ar5e.
  • First post on this site, just to say hello to all who were at IM Austria this year. Myself and Lisa had a great time and look forward to seeing you guys again in the future. Will be at the relays with Nick R and Simon Mc, and at Bala Olympic hope to see you there maybe.
    Cheers, Nick C

• TrimaNick

I'd have thought iron birdman would have been a far better title. Are you going to change it? Nick Rose is on his third name this month, I think.
  • Hi Nick mate hope you are well. Are you up for Switzerland next year then? I think Monique was convincing Lisa that Zurich is the best place for a summer holiday the last time i saw her.

andy
  • TCS - you could be right on the name issue maybe I will change it periodically like Nick R just to confuse people.

Andy - your spot on mate would love to do Switzerland with you guys and I know Lisa is also keen, but I am torn between that and the race in Nice due to the Chester Tri guys doing that one on mass. Also had the offer of free Accomodation if I decide to do IM Germany so thats another option if I,m short of cash. Decisions, decisions.......
    Anyone fancy the Norseman...DOOOHHH!!!!
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Smiffy's doing it.

(Andrewsmith)

he's funny like that.