4 July race reports

Comments

• Tee hee. More Pringles anyone ?
    Watch out Candy doesn't spill them mind.

Carry on Mon - this is brilliant. Never mind the Hardest Day - more like the Funniest Day !
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [snuggles up happily 'twixt cougs an' Smithy and fits paw right down inside Pringles tube. clever huh?]
  • And as I saw Andy on the opposite side of the road heading out again I realised he must have had a bad swimtoo.
    I had made my mind up to do the essential stop at exactly half way- it does help to know how far Ironman distance is I had reckoned on 116 miles bike and my speedo it turned out wasn't recording accurately so some time after the hill on the second lap I had found some quiet woods to do the worlds longest pee (about 2 minutes) no problem hydrating then and *ahem* attend to personal matters.
    i almost forgot my chain had fallen off on the first lap, but I fixed it calmly and in the manner of a professional without sobbing.
  • Tee hee hee hee.

This is Iron Numptie.

Pray continue Mon - it's just so funny !
  • Paws out of the tube Jj - you're blocking !
  • Anyway due to my ignorance of ironman distance and the check of my Garmin on my wrist I came to the finish sooner than I expected and I had written off the idea of 12 hours, but could it possibly be on?
    The last couple of miles of the bike I shifted down onto easier gears and stood up to stretch my calves. I had packed emu oil into my run bag in case of cramp so I could do a quick massage, but I was ok.
  • I ran into transition and some wonderful person racked my bike for me. While another wonderful lady helped me in the tent. She did turn a whiter shade of pale when I rummaged in my gussett to remove my secret weapon against the discomfort of 6:44 in the saddle. The talk of last weeks padded cycling shorts thread- my cut to size Scholl air pillow gel insole (pat pending). A quick slather of Body glide to top up the P20 and I was off, clutching my Safeway imitation Red Bull in lieu of proper drugs- earl grey tea.

• Well the run is my discipline, even so I was a little too tired to want to check pace too early as I didn't want to feel under pressure. But it was proving a little surreal as I passed person after person after person, and thought secret triumphal thoughts about cyclists not being able to run such as "Ha where's your carbon fibre now you fat ar$ed bitch" i really get quite carried away in races and promise that I am not at all like that at other times.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [makes note of the sheer poetry of the words 'rummage' and 'gusset']
  • 'fat arsed bitch' I thought king louie was behind you?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Andrew!
    Stoppit!

}:o[
  • sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Some of the folk out there really looked in trouble, people were throwing up and all sorts, some looked like they still had the bike between their legs. I saw Don who seemed in fine form and indeed felt great, my 8 ish minute miling looking like lightening compared to some of the hobbling slow motion movers.
    i was stopping at every drinks station to waolk and take on water and coke and glucose sweets, and eventually passed Andy. in fact and this is the best thing about having a running background I never got passed once.
    I t dawned on me that I could catch the pacing bike for 12 hours and did at about 18km. I built up a lead of 5 minutes, but with 13 k to go I started to run out of steam. each kmmarker saw my lead reduced. There was absolutely nothing I could do about it, I didn't stop at any drinks stations in the last 5 k but it was not enough at 40 km the bike passed and no amount of willingness could make my legs keep up. But I thought a marathon is 42 km bang on so the bike guy was going too fast.
    No, idiot it's 42 point something: Once again my lack of prior research had let me down, I passed 42k inb a fraction under 12 hours but still had to get round the corner and oh no they had put a ramp at the finish line and I didn't think I would make it up it.
  • "my cut to size Scholl air pillow gel insole (pat pending)"???- the mind boggles at the thought of it fitting to shape, dear me!

"emu oil"???<<hopes the name is of the same ilk as kiwi shoe polish>>
  • what size shoe was the gel insole to fit before it was cut to fit?
  • I managed to raise my arms for the finish photo and staggered into the arms of another wonderful helper who was looking at me closely for signs of collapse. Now was my chance I could get a drip if I played my cards right and started wobbling about. Blow me if she didn't catch me out with a trick question asking me what I wanted to drink and before I could stop myself I said "beer".

damn there were guys doing the whole stretchered off thing and I had buggered my chances, suspiciously few women were collapsing though, I noted, no doubt they had to get home to put the tea on.
  • Anyway armed with a beer I waited for Andy, feeling glad to finish would have been nice to come under the 12 but hey ho, it could have been anything I wasn't to know beforehand how close I was going to get or I might have risked toxic shock, there's dedication for you.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Oh Monique - you are incredible.

lol and hugs and sisterly high-fives and stuff.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    erm - hate to be a geek, but I think you passed 436 people once you got out of the water.
  • Wow if only the first disipline was something like cross stitch I could win.
  • Anyway, all the ignorant talk of getting mashed and watching the fireworks at cut off time was pure conjecture as I crawled into a hammock in my space blanket and instantly fell asleep. Later on we walked back with the bikes and kit and saw one guy in real trouble on the floor with police on the walkie talkies calling for an ambulance. I was too tired to do anything except drag my crumpled space blanket out of my bag and give it to him.

That night in bed I thought back to the last time I felt this knackered and it was when I spent 36 hours in labour with my first son, at least this time I wasn't going to be woken at 4 am have a baby shoved into my arms and get told to feed it, hurrah.

Anyway where's Nick with his report, it might lend a more professional tone to proceedings.
    i also rather dominated the after race party dancing on the stage to all manner of dodgy music, for which I apologise unreservedly.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    you could enter a relay with Blonde Bird! She's fab at cross stitch!

lol

gotta go for a while - teenager with lane-rope burns on her arms from particularly frenzied butterfly session wants to use the computer. Hmph.
  • Blimey its a dangerous malarkey this swimming.
  • Monique & Andy.

Well done, congratulations on your superb achievements.

The race report is fantastic, had me in fits of laughter and ive just read it all through word for word.

Cant wait for Switzerland next year, presuming LD goes fine and I can fit it in my calendar come hell or high water ill be their.

Jj, think you’ll have to go out in a dingy at Zurich and lay some underwater lights for Mr Zigzag to follow.
  • or you could get a toy boat rudder and a remote control, just wind him up, put him in and control his direction while he swims.
  • I will check with Karl and put myself on the deffinate list, took me all of half an hour to start thinking about the next one. What a great way to spend the day.
  • Excellent work guys - you did the Iron Man (so to speak) and made us all laugh so much.
    We are in awe of you !
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    I'll be such a good swimmer by then I'll just let him hold my leg.

so ner.

[pads off, tail in air]
  • jj

got your mail and i is off ome in a min so laters dude

Luv

Mt

• awesome reading - v.funny.

I take my hat off to anyone who completes the Ironman. I would have drowned before the bike stage no doubt.