Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• Options
    God this eating has bloated me out! I think I'll never eat pasta again after the last 2 days! :)

Good luck to you all! I'll be in pen 2, blue start, number 1618 wearing a rather (lairy looking) red British Heart Foundation vest!

See you at the start line! ... and hopefully the finish!
  • Options
    32247, Green start. Blue vest, red shoes (trendy I know)

I still have 3 Grandstand tickets if anybody wants - can be collected from me at green start.
  • Options
    JEJ

My shoes are lime green, with the yellkow shirt makes me look like a tub of Flora.

Might take you up on the tickets, as the wife and kids will be coming down with me, and I can give them to them at the start line. Are you in pen 1?

• Options
    DN, I'm in the pen 2 massive. Fancy trying to arrange a time to meet - how about 20 meters away (or 30m if it's very busy) from the bag trucks at about 8:40?

Sure we'll spot each other given the shoes.

I *may* also have a couple of tickets to the official Flora party which is in the sports bar very close to the finish going spare. I've been dying for a pint for the last booze-free month and last year it was free alcohol at the party - guess a pint sounds good now, but not sure about 12:45 on Sunday...

Any takers?
  • Options
    I'm travelling down and then registering tomorrow, staying with friends tomorrow night. I'm actually more nervous about all that stuff (and getting to the start at the right time) as I don't know London at all. I reckon once it starts it'll be OK - I know how to run.

I'm in an anonymous white t-shirt and black shorts in a pen yet to be determined at the blue start. I don't know any of you in real life but I hope to see some of running towards the finish line with 2: fiftysomething showing on the clock.

Good luck all, I hope you get the time your hard work deserves.
  • Options
    8.40 is OK.

Just about to go home now. So lets go for 30m away from the bag trucks in the direction of pen2 at the green start.

My club is Trent Park. I am a smallish chap with darkish hair.

I'll look out for your blue vest and shoes.

Fingers crossed!!!!
  • Options
    BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!!!

I'll be watching on the TV. Hope you all (girls included) sort out your pacing plans. I'll see you all next year.

I know I am definitley not meant to run this year as I have just had a bout of food poisoning so feeling as sh*te as I do, I would have been even more gutted if I hadnt been injured already!!! Posted off my withdrawal slip today.
  • Options
    Nipped in from sub 3:15 thread to sneak a quick look, say hello and very best of luck (my sub 3 hour days were 2 years back and unlikely to be repeated). Have a great day on Sunday and may you all achieve the goals you've set yourself.
  • Options
    Been sulking for last week as have some how got another injury...without even running...bad back this time, which I have never had before. Why now? No idea how race will go on Sunday, so will be setting off as planned and just hoping...no point in doing much else. If my back gives in, so be it...at least I tried!
    Green start, pen 2. White top with British Airways across it, blue shorts...Number 28161 don't confuse me with the two other British Airways club runners at Green start who are both sub 2.50 runners....I'll be behind them!
    Afterwards I will join my club collegues who marshall the 6 public crossing points from mile 25 to the end....you may spot them as you run by as you are directed by a big line of people in the middle of the road holding a tape down on side of the road or the other....doing this means I don't get home till late, but will still be logging on to see how you all got on...good luck everyone, enjoy the day.
    BR
  • Options
    Dreamt last night that I ran 3:08 for the marathon, having gone though 40k in a few seconds over 3:00. Hmmmm - hope that's not to prophetic!

Good luck everyone, may all your finish times begin with "2", and I look forward to reading the reports on Monday!
  • Options
    thanks, venom - and may your time be likewise sub3. thanks also to all the posters on this thread. Have enjoyed and benefitted from the posts.
    Good running all!
    Angus 30620 Green
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    thnaks to everyone for the excellent support, advice, encouragement over recent weeks

all the best to all runners tomorrow

green start for me

my new mantra..."i love the isle of dogs...i love the isle of dogs...i love the isle of dogs..."

next post on sunday or monday
  • Options
    Good luck one and all.
  • Options
    Good luck everybody for tomorrow. I'm starting from blue start pen 1 so will attach myself to the RW pacing group. If i feel strong after 20 will go it alone for the last 10k.
  • Options
    About to go to bed to try and get some sleep. Best of luck to everyone and hopefully see you at the end before 12:45!
  • Options
    Good luck to all! Drinking lots of Lucozade...

I'm red start, pen 1, 40265, Blue vest and shorts, with "Jerusalem Runners" on the back.
  • Options
    I'm scared. No chance of oversleeping this morning!

Looks like a great day weather-wise though.
  • Options
    JEJ thnaks for the tickets. I hope you did OK

10k 41.45
    20k 84.40
    HW 89.20
    30k 128.0
    40k 175.00ish
    fin 3.05.20

Calves started cramping at 14m, and missed two carb stations. So the whole thing was a bit of a cock up.

Could have done with cooler weather, but a totally enjoyable experience and a PB.

On now to Vienna in May, for another crack at it.

• Options
    Hi DN. After leaving you to run with the RW pacers I began to fatigue by about mile 18 - I saw you go through and thought you may get there. Here's what my Garmin says (it got confused in Canary Wharf hence the 12 min mile)

6:56, 6:33, 6:18, 6:36, 6:42, 6:52, 6:32, 6:45, 6:45, 6:41, 6:44, 6:47, 7:05, 6:54, 6:46, 7:18, 7:16, 7:27, 12:16 (GPS out), 4:56(?), 8:01, 8:15, 5:41 (?), 10:29 (?), 8:30, 8:08, 4:02 (0.55mi)

Total - 3:13:20ish

Interestingly I managed to run an extra 0.5mi or so, otherwise it may have been a lot closer to target.

Another example of going out too fast and suffering, although I don't think I could have beaten 3:05 on the day, however I ran.
    JEJ
  • Options
    2:56:35 according to my watch
    Here's my take as a visior from Jerusalem, Israel.

Brilliant organisation. I was at the "Red Start" - based on my predicted result I was in Pen 1 and I ended up in about the 3rd row! In short, a fast start with no delay between chip and gun time!

Problem 1: my old friend the stitch kicks in right from the start. Ok. Not disasterous as I can cope (this was meant to be short but ...)
    During my 6 days in England I haven't seen much sun - clouds, rain, etc...During the race there was not *1* cloud. Which is great for the spectators (more about them later) but not so good for us runners. No shade on the course and around 16C.

OK. I was aiming for a 1st half of 1:26:30 and ended up 1:27:10 - I felt OK about that overall as I felt that the conditions (heat) were not ideal for me.
    Also I was running "by feel" and trying not to push myself. Past the half and until mile 20-21 (32-34k) I was feeling good - (except for the stitch) - increased the pace a bit and hopes of a really good result.

At that point I hit something - not a wall but a definite hump. I couldn't keep up my earlier pace and 6:30-6:40 miles started slipping to 6:50 - 7:00.
    I think all my miles were sub-7 except for mile 25 which was 7:27! Oops that was really bad and could have been influenced by looking out for my sister-in-law at our "pre-arranged " spot - they saw me - and Paula and Lel and co but I missed them - the crowds were *phenomenal* - probably more so than normal due to the unEnglish weather. Deafening noise and lined 4-5 deep.
    I managed a little better in the last 1.2 miles (8:27) and a 2nd half of around 1:29:25

Felt really bad not lomg after the finish - nauseous and pale. I'm fine now.
    If I never drink another drop of Lucozade Sport it will be too soon!!!

After I finished I had thoughts of last marathon/ break from marathons...

We'll see how this washes up!

Anthony. Jerusalem, Israel.
  • Options
    I realised 2:59 wasn't on when my hamstring was sore right from the start (no idea why). Thought it would maybe ease up but no such luck. However, I gave it my best shot and ended up with 3:05:??. I'm happy with that. From the waist up it was an easy run, but the old legs let me down on the day. Great crowds and fab weather.
  • Options
    I too failed in my sub 3 quest - not by too much though. Ran for the first 10k or so with John Hardcastle (how did you get on mate? seem to loose you about that point). Had a crappy start with an 8 something first mile, due to crowds. We then proceeded to make up the time over the next 3 miles or so.

I went through the half in 1:29 and 20 in 2:16:30 - really thought I had it in the bag at that point ... until I got a really really bad lower abdomen pain that was niggling at me and seemed to get really intense at times. I managed to slip on average 1 min /mile in the last 10k :(

Came in to an energetic sprint finish for 3:06:50 (pain seemed to subside a little then!)

Anyway, not a bad effort for a first marathon I guess - sub 3 will have to come next year though...

Currently nursing my painful stomach - rather annoying because I have more energy now than I have had after some of my long training runs! Was hoping to put it to good use and walk up the pub in bit! :)
  • Options
    Well done to all those who made our goal..but not me. Going well through 5, then started to feel that knee again, at 10 still on time, but now knee was really giving me grief..and actually became a hamstring problem..I guess that was what the problem was all along! At 11 I was just about to stop as we past Rotherhide Station when someone shouted out 'Go on BA'....bugger, how could I stop now. So I started again, now looking for next the station....pain kept coming and going, so I eased off the pace and managed to keep the problem in check. Decided to keep going at slower pace. Then at 17 miles started getting tummy cramps...and then cramps in legs as well...things not going to plan! At 23 miles had to do a Paula as could not keep tummy cramps at bay any longer...at 25 stopped to give my wife a kiss...time was no longer a concern. Eventually got in but not actually sure what time as I forgot to look! Somewhere around 3.11/3.12 I reckon..a miracle I made it so I should be feeling pleased considering, but can't help thinking what a disaster.
    And now I have sun burn as well!!
    He ho.
    Bluerunner.
  • Options
    Good to see some successes here. Unforunately, I had a disasterous run. Went through 10k at planned 42 mins fealing easy, but at 12 miles I started getting stomach cramp and found it difficult to breath. Still managed half way in 1:30, but by 14 miles was starting to suffer intermitent leg cramp as well. From 17 it was a nightmare walk/jog to a 3:30ish finish. There seemed to be a number of other club runners suffering similar, and all the "fun" runners just kept on going. I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole.
  • Options
    Another failure from me I'm afraid. Combination of poor pace judgement in first half , 1hr 27 mins and the hot day.
    I was at 22 miles dead on 2hr 30 mins , so 4.2 miles in 29.59 mins was just about do able.But I faded in last 1.5 miles and that was it.
    3 hrs 02 mins.
    On reflection the fact that I was still having chiro practor work and traction for my back in mid february I suppose I should be pleased.
    Hottest FLM I've done in last 5 yrs.
  • Options
    Just seen myself on TV!! When Nell McAndrew (3:11ish!) was being interviewed at the finish, I saw me sprinting through - knew I got a 3:13 for a reason..

The sun effected me most by making me run further, seeking out shade where available. Annoyingly my Garmin got very confused around Canary Wharf, but by mile 13, I'd noticed that I'd already run an extra 0.3 - it was probably more in the second half.

On reflection, I don't think I hit any sort of wall - just fatigue, firstly in the quads from about 15miles, then cramp in calves from 22. Perhaps I could have pushed harder, but now I know what I need to do to get under 3 hours - only a matter of time. Next time round I'm going to try to maintain a much quicker pace on my long runs - I found that I was just jogging along at 8+ min miles - I think it would be wiser to develop a 20 mile pace at around 7's and do a good 3 - 4 runs like that.
  • Options
    I just managed to go sub 3, under the clock at the finish i think it was 2:59:50 although i have it a few seconds quicker by my watch (10 Secs max).
    Commiserations to those who didn't make it but still achieved times that some people can only dream of.

Good luck for future races,see you next year.
  • Options
    Congratulations to you all for finishing - wasn't it a scorcher! I had a major blip running around the Isle of Dogs - I really don't like that part of the course and I didn't have anyone to run with, but I got picked up by another runner at 21 miles and improved from there on. Halfway was about 1h24, finished in 2h54'48 (ish)- a new PB by 17 mins. So a badly positive split but I got the sub-2h55 that I was hoping for.
  • Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Fab atmosphere, incredible crowds, lovely weather, great camaderie, amazed by the colour and spectatcle, non-stop smiling and high fiving for the first 10 miles - The downside the weather a bit too warm for me -give me cloud, cool and rain anyday.

Finish time watch says 3:00:58
    13.2 miles 1:27:30
    20 miles in 2:15 so still on.

From this point on, noticed loads of runners dropping out and walking. By mile 24 not feeling good cramps, rubber legs, dizziness.

Miles became 7 something when I needed a couple of 6:50's

24 miles 2:44

Tried to pick-up the pace - just couldn't.
    Last mile 8 something and very hard to move.

26.385 3:00:58

Well Done Anthony Waller, you passed me at around mile 10, if you were the one in the Jerusalem Runners shirt. Yes, happy not top see a LS for a while, stomach churning.

Seems all of our times were down a few minutes - the heat?

But well done everyone, seems we all battled to the finish. We should be all proud of ourselves, a great marathon and a great day.

• Options
    OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Well done Zoe T - Awesome time.