Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

Comments

• That works out quite well. Can't really comment on the HH book as I haven't read it or seen the schedules. What does the average week look like?
  • Hey Andre, is it Dublin next week? How are you feeling? Are there any others out there on the quest for the marathon sub 3 who have races coming up?
  • He may be on his way already as it's Monday!!
  • I'll be doing Dublinand with a bit of luck...some reasonable weather and some of Gloria's chocholate, I hope to dip under the 180 minute barrier...

Wish me luck!
  • Good luck Mick!

Glorias chocolate??
  • Yes GOOD LUCK Mick...........I thought you would be on the Guiness in Dublin not chocolate????
  • Don't 'do' Guiness myself...the chocs are for a pal whom I have to bribe so that she remains silent. Sometimes posts/lurks here as MarathonG/Gloria.

Am sitting here in Co.Clare stocking up on Hershey bars before the big party.

Until Monday ....!
  • Well good luck any way mate, you got to go for it whatever happens.
  • Good news folks....a good second half yesterday gave me a 2:55:50 or thereabouts (no official results out yet). Was more than happy with this. Great race this year with many organisational improvements over recent less-than-perfect races in Dublin. Full credit to the organisers for a tremendous 25th anniversary event.

Any news from the others here who were trying to break three hours?
  • Mick that is fantastic news! I was trying the official web site for the results but as you say they aint out yet.

I ran the Stroud Half on Sunday and was doing well (averaging 6.30s) until 9 miles when the 'wheels' fell off. I finished in 1:28:08 which was OK but a minute and a half slower than in July. What I am saying to myself is that there is still another 5 months to go so I can work on my speed endurance. I think I actually ran the first 2 miles in 6.15's which is way too fast.

• Thanks Helen....Five months is a long way out from a race and you've plenty of time to work on anything you want to. Aside from anything else 1:28 is a smashing time for the half. What were conditions like and did you taper for this?
  • Well done Mick, great time! What was the course like?

Helen, have you started to up your mileage?
  • A few minor bumps in the early miles but nothing serious. Much better support and organisation than previous years. You couldn't describe the route as pancake flat but it was very reasonable and the second half is/was easier than the first. The only major negative factor on the day was a very blustery wind which seemed stronger as the race went on.
  • Hi Guys, the conditions in Stroud were OK - it wasn't raining but it was a wee bit breezy. I did taper for the race but I really haven't been doing the long runs yet. So far my max has been 1 hour 40 mins and that was the week before the race.

At present I'm up to 40 miles a week and trying to increase my mid week long run to 8/9 miles with my long Sunday run going to 14/15/16 miles (around 2 hours to 2 hours 10).
  • Mick. That is a good time in the wind then! All being well I will be looking for a marathon around this time next year and I think that could be the one.

Helen. Plenty of time yet so keep building slowly. Once you get those longer runs in you will be able to maintain your pace better over the half. Don't forget I only ran 1:26:22 3 weeks before breaking 3 hours.

I'm supposed to be half marathoning this weekend but my training as been somewhat fragmented since Berlin (serves me right for trying to rush back!). I'm in two minds at the mo.
  • Morning all - just back from Dublin with a very pleasing 2.56.45 on my watch and a pb by 30 mins (not sure of official time but probably 2.57) - had a cracking race and finshed with a quick last 3 miles - 6.20 pace so was chuffed to bits!! Really enjoyed the Guiness afterwards. Course was good and fast even though wind was bad at times.
    Congrats Mick - what was your half split?
  • Andree my splits were 1:29:40 and 1:26:10. Obviously I ran conservatively the first half but the second thirteen is also naturally faster. Well done yourself.

This could turn out to be a cracking thread for the FLM next year as we now have a few runners who've already run the bare time and can now concentrate on running the time in the London race, which I believe is more difficult by some way.
  • Mick - great negative split, you must have passed me at some point after halfway as I went through 13 in 1.27.32 and kept steady pace until 23.
  • Andree, I was 321st at halfway and finished 147th ... what a buzz.. :-)
  • Mick - is there anywhere where I can get hold of a list of finishing positions etc - on the website I can only get my name and position - is there a spreadsheet or something that has half splits and positions?
  • Andree mail me from this site and I'll return a spreadsheet ...
  • Brilliant I am so glad that I joined this thread - you guys are giving me such inspiration! A big WELL DONE goes to you Andre.I am so happy for both you and Mick for achieving your goals. I'm also impressed with the negative splits that you both ran - surely that is the most satisfying way to do it.

• Helen - thanks for the congrats, the buzz of finishing strongly is great and it makes the race SO enjoyable! I recognised a few people that had passed me near halfway and it was nice to overtake them near the end! Good luck with your training.
  • Andre. Well done mate, I knew you would breeze it! Isn't it great how the doubts start creeping in as you get closer to the marathon!

Whats next? You can afford to really go for it at your next one!
  • Hi there - good to see a couple of faces from the dublin thread.

Somewhat crazily, since I cannot walk without my hamstring vehemently protesting, I'm thinking of having a crack at sub-3 for London. My time for Dublin (first marathon) was just under 3:06. I know it's going to take a lot of effort to lose those 6 minutes but I doubt I'll be able to resist the challenge.

It probably is too much to ask for only my second marathon ? - but if I can get close then maybe I'd be able to go for it in an autumn race next year.
  • Toucan...I ran 3:06 in London 2003 (a pb, even if I crashed doing it) and 2:57 the following October. It can be done.
  • Nick - yes, so many negative thoughts come into play and you get paranoid about so many things! Glad it is over - next aim is to maintain fitness and bring down 10K and half times.
    Toucan - great time mate and great to touch base during the race! I managed to bump into Pseudo at about 4 miles so we ran together for most of the way. How did you find the last few miles?
    If you can do 3.06 then sub 3 is definately on - in 12 months I went from 3.27 to sub 3.
  • Toucan. I ran 3.27 at London this year and then 2.59 a month ago.
  • Cheers for the words on encouragement.

Obviously I don't know everyone's training plans but I think I did train pretty hard for this one - peaking at a couple of 70 M weeks, so I doubt I'll knock 20 mins off that time. Equally I know that there is some room for improvement i.e. not getting completely trollied at weddings the day before a 23M.
    Also I've only been running for ~18 months and if I compare how easy I feel putting in 50M weeks compared to 6 months ago then it does make me think I could push it a bit further. So I'll go for it - probably ;-)

Andre, I read your race report on the dublin thread and I was very impressed by the pace you put in over the last 3 miles. The wind got me - I was running 7:25 in the wind but in the odd occasion we got out of it my GPS was telling me I was doing 7:00 pace.
  • Toucan - I really did feel good but knew that the wind during the last 4 miles would be tough in patches so decided to crank it when possible - never in my wildest dreams did I think I would finish the last 3 miles of a marathon in 6.20-6.30 min/miles - I guess that is what all the training, speed endurance, LT runs, 20 mile treadmill runs etc etc!! are all about - makes it worth while.
    Were you in the Temple Bar after the marathon? I had a quick pint with Paul and my Family in there before moving back to the hotel.