Options

Sub 3:00 FLM 2005

1454647484951»

Comments

• Options
    Well... I've got the garmin... fantastic piece of kit... still trying to get my head around the functions but already very impressed. Did a 40 minute easy run and yesterday tried a 30 minute tempo run... No complaints about the garmin but I was in bits and couldn't get any quicker than an average 6min40 pace! Seriously starting to wonder if Berlin might be a better option for myself given its only 8 weeks to Blackpool... I'm just a bit fearful of running an importnat race in a country where I can't speak the language....
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    JH -
    Hope you don't mind me asking (or telling me) but where did you get you forerunner 201 from and how much?
    Seriously contemplating going for the 301.
  • Options
    WW - Got it here;

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_forerunner_products.html

Receipt shows £129.95 - including next day delivery and it did indeed arrive less than 24 hrs after ordering! Can thoroughly recommend product and shop. They advertise in Runners World.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    Cheers JH.
    Will take a look.
  • Options
    Brian61Brian61 ✭✭✭
    JH -
    Hope you don't mind me asking (or telling me) but where did you get you forerunner 201 from and how much?
    Seriously contemplating going for the 301.
  • Options
    JEJ - Thats a very kind offer but i cannot really commit myself, being a father of 2 young kids and my work situation a bit up in the air around that time (its a long story) it would be unfair of me to say yes or even to ask you to hold it for me. If you still havent found anyone closer to the time (which I am sure you will) and i have decided to enter then i will let you know.
    Once again the offer is very kind and much appreciated.

JEJ = Good Bloke
  • Options
    JH - A quick techy question about the ForeRunner, have you any idea of how many charges the rechargables will take and also if they are replacable?
  • Options
    I have just done a quick search on the forerunner 301 amd its £179 with free delivery from Amazon, but it'll take 1 to 2 weeks to get to you. Can anyone wait that long for their new toy?
  • Options
    Hi Swanny... I'm sorry, I haven't a clue how many xharges it will take- HOWEVER - I have run a total of 2 hrs with it and its barely taken an hour off of the "time remaining" figure... but I know that isn't the question you're asking.

To answer the question you're asking I suggest you think about how fast technology moves this day and age!!! I bought a Polar Accurex HRM and PC interface about.... hmmmm.... 7 yrs ago (?) - when I did the FLM in 1999 I was frightened to death that the battery in the belt would run out uring the race that I bought an extra belt for about £30 at the expo.... both belts are STILL going strong!

In conclusion, I'd say that the technology is lilely to become "obsolete"/"outdated" before it goes up the wall!

Don't quote me though!

Having said all of this... I do have a prblem with the LCD screen on my Garmin - a blotch that looks like a water-stain... I noticed it the first time I wore it outdoors... thouht it was a droplet of sweat... very annoying... on inspection at home it was obvious it wasn't sweat... I've had my techno-qualified bro look at it today and he's told me its a defect known as "newton's rings" - manufacturaing defect - moisture in the LCD screen - he's told me o request a replacement as it IS a defect and it WAS present at urchase... the handling by the vendor will undoubtedly be testsment to their credibilty! I will keep you informed!
  • Options
    JEJ... I am interested in the spare place for Berlin. I'm giving Blackpool a 2 week stay of execution given my excessive nee pain - if in two weeks time the pain hasn't subsided I shall be revising my plan to Berlin.... johnhardcastle71@hotmail.com if you can afford to hold the place for another 10 days or so...
  • Options
    JH, It's still available so consider it on hold. I'm now working on the relevant people at work to get the trip fully funded - don't fancy my chances though:(
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am a new member of this site, i too am also aiming for a sub 3hr marathon in Abingdon in Oct. ( like ardvark) However i am no where near 100m a week. At the moe i am at 48miles a week, with the long runs at 2hrs for 16miles. I am also doing one speed session aweek, one hills, and one pace. Do any of you think this is not enough? i am in my 8th week of dedicated marathon training. Your advice would be greatly received. cheers.
  • Options
    Steven - When I broke three hours I wasn't doing anywhere near 100m a week. I think I did manage something up around 70, but on average I was doing around 60. This was enough for me to go from 3:27 in April to 2:59 in September. I built my long run up to 22 miles, but found a midweek medium length run (10-14 miles) particularly beneficial. If you need to gain a few miles somewhere then I would look at the hills session, Abingdon sounds fairly flat to me.
  • Options
    steve when i broke 3hours 2:58 i was doing between 45 and 55 i do agree with jordo that a midweek long run is really beneficial.
  • Options
    OI
    You lot!
    You boinged up the wrong thread.
    I'll go and get this year's....
  • Options
    I'm doing Berlin on 25 September, my first marathon! I'm hoping for sub 3.

Although I did a 36 min 10k at the end of May 05, all other races have been run tired and results dissapointing, 1.23 at Southend.

Longest run 2 hr 50, approx 22-23 miles.

Does it all come right at the end when you taper?

Trev
  • Options
    running new york on nov 6th hoping for sub 3 anyone else run this race?
  • Options
    Hello,
    We have now moved to this forum for FLM06:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=59425&last=1&V=6&SP=

I believe there is at least one person from there entered.