Machen Mountain Run 10K

OK, who can tell me more about this event? Anything that lists as a Mountain run has to be hilly, question is...

...just how hilly??

anyone up for it, I know I am!!!

(might need to work on those hills though!)

Comments

• Ran this last year, and I am down for it again this year. Only problem I have as I am running this on the Monday the the Brecon-Merthyr Roman Road Run on the Saturday, (that 16-18 miles across the Brecon Beacons), so this will be a nice warmup run.

The Machen race is almost all off road. The hills are quite challanging, but nothing too crazy.
  • Richard, if it's off road are we talking tracks or tarmac. Would this then be more suitable for fell shoes?

The roman road run sounds interesting; have you details?? - which Saturday, before the Machen run or after? ;-)
  • Hi Boffin Machen is on tracks through the woods. The hill (not really a mountain) used is opposite Machen, the other side of the main road and railway line, runs through the woods to the top and then back down. Fell shoes maybe a overkill, there were some people wearing them last year, but a normal trainer with a good tread would be adequate.

The Roman Road Run is 4th Sept (Saturday after machen). It starts in Brecon (Silver Street), and follows lanes south of Brecon until the start of the Roman Road, then follows the Roman Road over the Beacons, then roads into Merthyr Tydfil, finishing in Cafartha Park. If is hard, mostly on tarmac roads, except of the Roman Road Stretch through the Beacons. If interested I have more details at home, can pass them on tonight
  • Richard, we have guests that weekend (who may not turn up!!), can you post details later - especially if it is something I can enter on the day. Given it is a long run, I guess on the day entry is unlikley?
  • You can enter on the day, it starts at mid day from Brecon (Silver Street), although the organisers run coaches from Merthyr to Brecon, so you can park your car at the finish, get a coach to the start, run the race then try to drive home.
  • That's clever organisation; I note the 'try' to drive home! ;-)
  • Richard - this is presumably the week-end after the BB fell race? Seems an odd timing?
  • Richard is there a web site giving info on the Roman road run? - is it all up hill?
    is there a cut off time? - if you have more details can you forward them on to me please - many thanks for all your help
  • No cut off time as far as i know and for entry forms contact the Mayor's scretary at Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council (sorry don't have phone number to hand). There are hills in it but it is possible to run them all - mind you the last one just before you get back to the Gurnos i only managed to run up on about my fourth attempt. Also there is a quite rocky section for a few hundred yards as you climb towards the top of what i would call the 3rd climb but after this there is a long gradual downhill for at least a mile although this is also on an off road and in parts an uneven path. I have now done this race every year since 1958 except for foot and mouth year when it was not held , as you can guesss its my favourite race of the year. I am taking around the 1hr 30m for a half marathon at present and would expect to do the Roman Run in around the 2hr 10m if this help give you some idea of how hard it is - don't believe what they say on the race lit about it being harder than a marathon , it's hard but nowhere near a marathon.
    PS There is usually around the 100 mark taking part and i would definately recommend going to Merthyr and getting the bus to the start as it makes it a lot easier after the race although they do tend to go a bit early and it means hanging around for over an hour at the start in Brecon.
  • Whoops - that should be every year since 1985 (i was born in 1958)
  • Here is some info for the Roman Road Run. Sept 4th 12 mid day start from Silver Street Brecon, Coaches leave Cafartha Park Merthyr around 10.30 am to take runners to Brecon. There is plenty of parking space at the park. The route is approx 25KM with approx 766m of ascent. It starts at 133m and ascends to 601m where it crosses the Brecon Beacons in the gap between Cribyn and Fan Y Big, about 8KM from the start. It is then downhill past Neuadd Reservior, then picks up the road going past Pontsticill reservoir, through Pontsticill village, Vaynor, under the A465 and into Gyrnos, then downhill to the entrance to Carfartha Park, then a final uphill to the finish. Although the second section is overall downhill, there are still some nasty ascents along the way, and I have seen a few people caught out thinking that it now an easy run into Merthyr from the high point. Entry info can be obtained from the Mayor's Secretary, Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council Tel 01685 725320/725481, email mayors.secretary@merthyr.gov.uk
  • Sorry Boffin - Brecon Beacons Fell Race Sat Aug 14

19m/4500ft from Talybont Reservoir Dam Carpark (GR SO105209). Contact Tom Gibbs (0117 3307815).

Now answered my own question - this race always used to be the Bank Holiday weekend (clashed with son's b'day on 26-8 - domestic disharmony in the past over it!) but now has moved forward. Last year it was the final counter in the British Fell Racing Championship so the winner was round in 2hrs 30 - I was a rather more sedate 4hrs 15!

This is a superb if hard circuit of the whole of the Beacons - last year was blazing hot but I've been snowed on in the past! If you are looking for a real challenge give it a go.
  • Hopefully see you there - I'll be in the City of Bath AC vest
  • Hi BW am I right in thinking entry to the BB Fell Race is on the day only?
  • Yes - very low key organisation as with most fell races - turn up, pay your couple of quid, pin on a number, kit check and you're off!

Without the championships I suspect it'll be back to the usual 50-60 or so suspects
  • steve/richard

thanks for all the info on the roman run, i think i am gonna give it a go - i am a 2:00 hr half marathon runner so looking at steve,s times i should be looking for 3:00hr. i will probably come last, but who cares lol
  • Walked Machen mountain a lot in my youth, but now defected to Chelmsford, Essex. Visiting my family on this particular weekend, so fancy giving it a go. Not as flat as Essex though! Looking forward to breathing in some mountain air.
  • do i have to be a member of a club to join in this race??? its my first ever race and would like advice from anyone please. email me at friend4life262003@yahoo.co.uk
  • Richard Davies / Boffin - are you on for Saturday?
  • BW - Hoping to be there on Saturday to enjoy(?) a nice 19 mile stroll over the Brecon Beacons. I take it it starts and finishes at Talybont, does the route take in Crybin, Pen y Fan, etc? It is also the Brecon Jazz the same weekend, so Brecon will be very busy.
  • I remeber walking up Machen Mountain in my youth too. Could see it from my then home in Michaelston-y-Fedw and I would say it is definetly a mountain not a hill if you start down in the village of Lower Machen or come up from the Risca side
  • Richard - it does indeed take in the main summmits as well as a lot more! Depends if they run it clockwise or anti-clockwise - they used to alternate, not sure if they do these days but last year was anti - north from the start at the dam to Craig Pwllfa, along the ridge across the Roman Road, the summits, then down the long ridge south above the reservoir, steep descent from the trig, onto the road through Taf Fechan forest, up onto Pant y Creigau, across some empty country and then the sting in the tail - a final climb up and over Tor y Foel before finishing on the dam.

I'll be one of the Bath runners - say Hi (names Andy really!)
  • You are joking aren't you? I've walked around this area and it's more than a little bumpy isn't it. It takes in the highest peak in south wales (Pen y Fan) apart from anything else.

So tell me, what sort of times are you expecting to put in (and what sort of time would you expect on a more horizontal 10k).
  • Hi Dale - sadly not joking! Last year (very hot) took 4hrs 15m, hopefully faster this year - 10k time is about 42m (but don't do many, I'd rather be up a hill!)
  • Well, that was quite a run! Actually three minutes slower than last year, but when considering I ran on my own for perhaps 75% of the time, I was pleased (and not quite last!) Only 40 of us nutters this year - three Forum members in the Bath contingent -does this constitute a record?
  • Well done TBW, sadly (?!!) I was on holiday, so couldn't run that race - will keep it in mind for next year ;-)
  • Boffin are we going to see you in Machen on 30th Aug?
  • Oh yes, I shall be there - especially as its not actually Machen mountain being used - just the bumpy bit to the side of caerphilly Mountain?