Machen Mountain Run 10K

2»

Comments

• Yes the name makes it sound worse than it is. Using it for a warmup for the Brecon Merthyr Run on 4th Sept.
  • RD3, I really like the sound of the Brecon-Merthyr; trouble is I am running the Cardiff 10k on the 5th Sep, I think Mrs Boffin and the Bofettes would have something to say if I did both!!! ;-(

.....might suggest it though!
  • They could always have a day out and wait for you at Cyfartha Park and have a tour round the museum there, etc.
  • ...Hmmm, they could drop me at the start then pick me up at the finish later!!

....I hear rumblings of discontent...!
  • See you in Machen and maybe Brecon. If you can't make it this year put it in your diary for next year.
  • OK, only 1 day to go....

..I did get an email for the start location, read it then managed to delete it!!!

Would the recreation grounds in Machen be the ones by Machen RFC?

- I shall only be running this one, not racing as I have manged to hurt my poor little ankle and shin...diddums!
  • I think so. Last year there were a couple of cricket matches going on, and as I recall there were a few rugby pitches there, and some sort of club house.
  • Just popping into wish Boffin good luck tomorrow on your run and hope ankle is okay !

Good luck to everyone even if I don'y know you guys;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Thanks WP, just (hic) carb loading!! :-)
  • Grumble grumble....

... took the puppy out into the garden for a play... sharp stabbing still in my shin and discomfort on ankle rotation...

I could run it, but at what cost to the larger picture?

..time for professional advice / therapy.

Bu**er :-(

Hope you all have a fantastic run, the weather is cool, clear and sunny - perfect.

I'l catch up with you guys one day!
  • Well Boffin I have been suffering from a sore shin for the past 10 days or so. Did not run all last week hoping it would settle down and took a chance and ran the Machen Mountain Run today. Big mistake. Knocked 5 mins off my last year's time to the the mast at the top, so was expecting a good time, then my shin gave out completely coming down, ended up having to walk the last lap round the playing field. Now have a a big swelling about a third of my way up my shin. Will also be seeking professional help tomorrow.
  • Richard, what a disaster, you must be gutted :-( I hope you are sitting with your leg up and some ice / frozen peas on the swelling. I hope you haven't done too much damage.

What's your next race??
  • Had to rush off after race due to work committments - did anyone hear which website Greg said that the resuls would be posted on

Thanks
  • Results for the race are on www.machenwelfare.com - sorry to hear about injuries etc. hope everyone enjoyed the race......
  • Thanks Greg - just one thing which i mentioned to previous organiser when he was trying to 'grow' the race was to consider having it in the morning ie 11:00am. I say this because the current start time of 3pm means that practically all the bank holiday is tied up with the race - I know of a couple of runners who considered it but because of family committments could not attend whereas a morning start would have meant they could run and then get home in time to spend afternoon with family.
    Anyway an excellent race and hopefully will be back again next year

Steve
  • Don't know if any of you guys are still watching this thread... on the off chance you are... We have a forumite (Hilly) interested in doing some fell running in the winter months in South Wales, if you know any nice runs, could you pop over to the CArdiff Marathon Thread and post details??

:-)
  • What a challenge that was. As a relative running novice i didn't exactly know what i was letting myself in for. I  found the climb really tough and the descent very slippery. I was relieved to come home safely in a time of 56 mins.

• I am getting more and more into my running my best 10k so far is 48.52 in a race and 47.03 in training. I would like to have a go at the Machen race, is it really tough uphill course? I live in Hull so im used to running on pretty flat roads etc but have family in this area to would love to give it a go.
  • Yes it is tough with loads of climbing in first 2/3 of race. The last section back down is very fast and usually means you would be within 5-10 minutes of a 'flat' 10k time. However it's the same for everyone and it's the usual spread of standard you find in all races so come on and have a go.