Run across America 2004

2»

Comments

• good going... as ever!!

i haven't read the diary lately.. how's he feeling?
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    oh dear I'm good at copying and pasting - but didn't change the date - silly girl

correction

Thursday 22 July 04
    Stage 41 of 71
    Distance: 31.6 miles
    State: Kansas - Mankato to Belleville
    Bob's Time: 4:49:53 finished 1st

Total distance to Stage 41: 1639 miles
    Bob's Total Time so far: 276:23:47

Bob is ahead by 30:06:52

There was a huge thunderstorm in the night & pouring rain at the Start

The runners referred to today as a "Rest Day" - it's only 50K !! Bob was really enjoying the conditions, saying it was perfect running weather "A lovely day today. I really enjoyed it"
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    whoops I'm a bit late with the stats - the website is more interesting, but Bob has not updated his own Diary on his own website www.bobbysrun.co.uk since the 22nd

the guy who writes the Daily Reports on the www.runacrossamerica2004.com website doesn't give a lot of info about the runners, but I like to see the Daily Photos!!

Friday 23 July 04
    Stage 42 of 71
    Distance: 54.6 miles
    State: Kansas - Belleville to Marysville
    Bob's Time: 9:13:29 finished 1st

Total distance to Stage 42: 1725 miles
    (another correction Stage 41 should be 1670 miles)
    Bob's Total Time so far: 285:37:16

Bob is ahead by 30:31:17

Longest Stage so far
  • crap :( 52miles too me 10:30
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    ed m - do not EVER say your running is cr*p !!!

I've seen this man's thighs!!! he is an amazing person - apart from his muscles!!

Bob's Diary - 22 July
    "The last few days have been very hard. Very high temperatures, combined with high humidity and long distances make for very tough days. Running wise I have been feeling a little sluggish, except today when I ran nearly 11 km per hour for the short 31.6 mile stage. I have really enjoyed Kansas. The people have been really warm and friendly. We were talking to a man in the restaurant and you could sense the pride he felt for his little town as he spoke. ..,.Susan and Ross flew home today. It has been great having them out here. Yesterday they managed to run for 4 hours with me. I hope you have a good flight. We are now well into the 2nd half of the race. I am counting down the days and they seem to be coming at an increasingly fast rate of knots. The sad thing is that although I just want to get the run finished, once it is over I will miss it, like a long lost friend. What we are doing is something really amazing and will take time to saviour and appreciate just how wonderful it was. Yesterday, Rog and Jan diverted off the race course to go to the geographical midpoint of the USA. I felt no need to make a detour so just carried on running, taking the mickey out of them by calling them tourists! End of 6 weeks tomorrow. I haven't got a clue what is going on back home, we are in our own little world here. Many thanks for all the messages of support, especially to Jules for his kind words. Cheers mate. Hope everyone is well. Bob
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Sat 24 July 04
    Stage 43 of 71
    Distance: 43.3 miles
    State: Kansas - Marysville to Sabetha
    Bob's Time: 7:37:10 finished 1st

Total distance to Stage 43: 1768.4 miles

Bob's Total Time so far: 293:14:26

Bob is ahead by 31:13:59

"Up at the front all by himself is Bob, listening to his music and seeming oblivious to the rain and the clouds of spray and gravel thrown up by passing trucks. The strong headwind doesn't even seem to bother him this morning. Today's course is another typical Kansas stage - one of rolling farmland" race organiser

wonder what he's listening to ??

Temp - 62-66 F what a change!

"Bob finished in a very good mood quite pleased with his pace considering the rain, wind & hills" race organiser
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    oh dear - I dont know when I shall be able to update - after suffering a "mashed" (my son's polite word) hard drive - I've been off-line for 12 days

will try and get the latest info on here but am seriously behind with work and am still loading & re-registering software ...

KEEP ON RUNNING BOB - YOU ARE AMAZING !!!

• 07/08/04 - Days 47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57 Brookfield-Clarence-Hannibal-Pittsfield-New Berlin-Decatur-Tuscola-Rockville-Indiannapolis-Dunreith-Lewisberg-South Vienna
    Yes, I am still alive!! My sincerest aplogies for not updating the site since day 46. My intentions are honorable but the reality of running 50 miles per day prevents me from updating. Anyway, enough of the aplogies...I will try to be more regular from now on. I won't update all the project data`now...those children completing it , you are on a well deserved holiday now so take `a bit of a break and I will update the data soon!Well, where do I start with this `update. Time has moved so quickly , so many landmarks` have passed and we can finally start thinking about the finish abit. Until now NY has been too far out of reach to think about. But now, with less than 2 weeks to go it is finally dawning on me that the finish is coming. It is` scary, but so exciting. Yet I must not get too excited. A lot can happen in the 600 miles we still have to run. 3 days ago we lost Don. Attempting to be the oldest person to ever run across the States, he had been doing so well, but the increase in mileage combined with the oppressive heat and humidity meant he felt unable to continue. Such a shame to pull out so close to the finish, but I know exactly how he felt.....Personally, I am still feeling good. The humidity we experienced in Illinois really drained me. I felt tired for the first time in the whole trip, but then again I think everyone did. The longest stage of the race, over 57 miles, went really well. I was so pysched up and the day passed really quickly. The next day we got caught in a wonderful thunderstorm and torrential rain, but luckily it was warm rain and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Indiannopolis was a horrible city and it was a real relief to get out of there. American cities seem so spread out and lack character so I am always pleased to see the back of them. We are now through 4000km, I can't believe we are nearly there. Thank you so much to everyone for their continued support. A special mention to my wonderful sponsor Ginsters who have given me extra sponsorship money to cope with some unexpected costs. You have been a wonderful sponsor and I am deeply grateful to have you on board. My wife Amy has been here now for 9 days and she is doing incredibly well riding her bike. Well, I guess I better log off. I have just run 54 miles and I am totally cream crackered! Not as tired though as poor Taka who continues to amaze everyone with his bravery and perserverance. How he is still in the race is beyond me, but it looks like he is going to make it. A truly amazing performance....thanks for all the emails...sorry for not getting back but I really appreciate each and every one. Thanks, best wishes, happiness and love. ..A very happy and contented Bob
  • all runners have huge respect for ultra guys like yourself, keep up the good work
    bob
  • fantastic huge admiration for the guy,i take my pussy marathon trainers off to all ultra runners.for another amazing story happening right now in the uk log onto this website www.normlane.org uk
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Pardon me for asking, but what are "pussy marathon trainers"?
  • ...imagine training it for a marathon. Then again, probably best not to.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Lunacy !!

the miles are showing, not the pasties, in the latest photos

KEEP ON RUNNING - YOU CAN DO IT BOB

and he's got his Amy there now
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Not long to go now. The penultimate week isn't it

Go Bob Go
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    The man is living, running testimony to the power of the pasty.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Muttley - I actually purchased 2 of the said pasties in the local Co-op (BOGOF) just so I could eat them and think of Bob - like, is he REALLY eating Ginsters pasties???!!!

I wasn't intending to eat them both - but my 12 yr old only nibbled the edge of his - and I hate wasting food ....

and I'm still alive

AND still running !!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Oh no Paskha, not Ginsters. Anything but Ginsters.

I was weaned onto Philps, but the current top tip is Hampsons the Butchers, also in Hayle.

Although the West Cornwall Pasty Co here in Reading is acceptable, had one today as a matter of fact.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Hi Muttley

I have to be pretty famished to consider eating a pasty - I think it's the pastry - since I decided NEVER to diet EVER - I have convinced myself PASTRY is really bad news - and I get indigestion just thinking about all the fat in it!!

I may have eaten one after last year's Duchy though!

I still eat things with loads of fat in though - some clotted cream yesterday even (found some in the fridge! - my 18 yr old is working in Tesco & him & his girlfriend buy food - help! my fridge has grown Ready Meals, fruit pies & even more cream)

• paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Bob is doing really well according to the daily updates and is over 48 hrs ahead

www.runacrossamerica2004.com

www.bobbysrun.co.uk (lasy diary update 07 Aug)

I’m going to be without easy internet access for a week from tomorrow – so Bob will have finished on Sat 21 August by the time I get back

He might even get a mention in the news !!

BOB YOU ARE ACHIEVING AN AMAZING FEAT

GOOD LUCK TO YOU & ALL THE OTHER RUNNERS AS YOU APPROACH THE FINAL DAYS

10 DAYS TO GO FROM THE LATEST UPDATE !!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    He's due to the finish line in just under three hours.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/3585568.stm

Three days ahead of the next guy.
  • Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    I've just stumbled across this site for the first time and read it's contents with a sense of growing amazement and admiration. I had the same experience and emotions 3-4 weeks ago when I happened upon Dr Nic's channel swimming thread at the same time she was actually in the water.

I, like most people live an ordinary life doing ordinary things, but every now and again I raise my nose from the ground and see ordinary people made extra-ordinary by the things they do. This is one of those moments.

Three hours to the finish - go Bob go!!!!

Truly amazing.
  • Stunning stuff and well timed given what's been happening at the Olympics. Another British victory.
  • paskhapaskha ✭✭✭
    Bob you know you are my personal ultimate hero & inspiration !!! (he had to learn to swim so he could do a Triathlon !!)

just to think Bob was finishing his incredible feat on 21 August 2004 - which just happened to be the same day of my very first Triathlon in Hayle Cornwall - the Rick Rescorla Memorial Triathlon (the Cornishman who died during 9/11 rescuing people) - a great day to remember - and wasn't it also the best day ever for British Olympic medals??

CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! !
    CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    CONGRATULATIONS ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

from Lize XXXXXXXXXXX
  • I hope Bob can find time to write an account of this race and possibly his biography. I'd certainly be happy to part with some of my hard earned to read them.
  • Fair play to the bloke, some achievement that. Bet he's been called "Forrest Gump" more than once!!

I've been thinking of doing a John O'Groats to Lands End run for ages. Would like to do it in under a month. I reckon I might aim for September 2006 and aim to pass through my birth town of Stafford and the town I grew up in, Walsall on 12th September as it'll be my 30th birthday!

Best start training.....
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Before you do start training, Peter, there's some advice here on what to expect:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3590700.stm
  • Muttley, many thanks for the wedding tips they had a great day (maybe a little too much vodka) and are now on honeymoon in St Petersburg.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Most welcome, PM. Pleased to see it went well. I hope they don't get too chewed by the mossies in St P :-)