Options

Reading Half Marathon

Does anyone have any experiences to share about the Reading Half Marathon? Seems a good lead up to any marathons attempted in the summer, but I can't seem to find much about the course, hills etc.

Regards to all

Comments

• Options
    Thanks EP, could be tempted. New'ish to running as well, so don't like the word hills, especially after the Nike 10k experience in Richmond park.

Couldn't point me to the other thread could you?

Thxs

• Options
    you never said there woz hills EP
    Right
    2 hrs 7 now!!!
    Hi Muzzer, nice to hear from you again:)
  • Options
    Small hills girls. EP you don't live in Reading.

Muzzer go for it and keep up posted. There will be loads of forumites I suspect
  • Options
    Muzzer, go to main forum page and do a search for "Reading" in Threads you should get a list of the previous Reading thread. Alternatively, if you're bored and got time on your hands, you could always go back through all the threads on the Events forum and find it/them that way!

Ran Reading this year and have also run round Richmond Park on various occasions. I think Reading was easier (though I may be mistaken!)
  • Options
    Murf do you ever sleep!

See you at Reading!
  • Options
    Sorry, have asked this before, BUT..

I have registered with the website, there are a few problems so they will not be sending out entries for a bit. Others have entered by the old method - snail mail - how?

Many thanks
  • Options
    Hi BK - yes, when I eventually get through with catching up on the days chat on here.

FionaH - as a previous runner they sent me an application form automatically. Not sure if it's made the RW listing yet but if it has, there'll be an adress for entries there. I was going to wait for the on-line entries cos I'm lazy, but I think I might have to send by snail in case it fills up fast.
  • Options
    Murf

Sorry, I know this is late, what time are you looking at. I am suddenly starting to get scared as I am at least 10 - 15 mins slower than even the slowest runner.
  • Options
    Did 2:19 official time last year and didn't do much better in the only other half I've run. My current target for a half is 2.10

Don't worry too much about your time at the moment, Reading is over three months away and barring injury, that's plenty of time to build on wherever you're at at the moment.
  • Options
    I ran it last year as my first 1/2 ever. I loved it, especially the free massage after! Reading Road Runners (I think that's what they're called) have a webpage and include some info about the race. I thought it was pretty hilly, but I've spent most of my life in very flat places.
  • Options
    I have e-mailed sweatshop so hopefully will receive a form soon.
  • Options
    Thank you all, made up my mind and sending in the form. See you there. Agree with E.P, free massage, tell us more?
  • Options
    Am I the only one who found a Reading Half Marathon entry form in the Sweatshop advert inserted in this month's RW?
  • Options
    nope, but EP mailed me one anyway
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Not done Reading but a few people have told me that its a bit crowded at the start and the organisation is a bit lacking.That said it is supposed to be a good 'event' and excellent for anyone new to racing for the whole 'experience' thing.

Personally I can recommend Fleet in March (the 'pre London' half with around 1,000 runners) or Camberley which has around 300 runners - last this year was about 2h45.
  • Options
    Yes, it was a free massage. I assume they will do it again this year. You walk right up after you run and stand in a queue for an hour or so (probably much less if you run faster than me!). I think I had about 5 minutes, but it's exactly what I needed right after running (I was having a hard time walking). They'll ask where it hurts, etc and go at it. I had 2 people, one on each leg. And it was free!
    I thought the t-shirt was nice, like the adverts. You could also get your medal engraved with your name and time. I didn't feel like standing in the queue again for that so opted against it. I wish I hadn't.
    The start/finish isn't too far from the train station either. Hum, I may be convincing myself to do it again this year! I saw an advert in the gym. Maybe they have entry forms too?
  • Options
    I remember this race was slated by a number of forum members who ran it last March, due to their inability to cope with the numbers entered.

At that time of the year, there are so many alternatives, I see no reason to take the risk again.

Both the Fleet and Hastings halves a week later are very well organised - personally will be tackling the Hastings this time.
  • Options
    They have decreased the limit from 10000 to 9000 for 2003 and Sweatshop have taken over the organisation "to make a great event even better" - or words to that effect. Time will tell.
  • Options
    For the record EP, I made Benz give up crisps otherwise she won't get a snog.

The more the merrier people its not such a bad race and there will probably be a dozen forumites to cheer you in.

Snoop really sorry you wont be there? Foxy will be possibly [snigger]
  • Options
    I feel sorry for BK
    Ball, ok, not really in mood
    But hubby had to sleep with a bucket by the bed
  • Options
  • Options
    It looks like I shall be running it this year, despite this year's frustrations. I'm bowing to the sprogs' desire to run the children's races. At least if Sweatshop are involved they should avoid some of the basic errors from last time.
    The course may be urban, but its not too bad, and provided you take it easy up the first climb past the university ( did you go to the Abbey, EP?) the hills are no problem (compared with Shropshire, and the cross country I ran today, Reading is almost concave!
  • Options
    That's next year, of course