Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• last time b4 setting off to meet all you mad mad folks tonight. See you all later - good luck to all those taking part who won't be at the pasta thingy tonight.

Must go and find a bin bag for tomorrow morning!! MMmmmmmm....... where can I empty this lot then?........
  • My first time on the forum for over a week.

Just wanted to wish you all good luck and see some of you there
  • Are we all ready then?

Hopefully this weekends weather is going to copy last weekend's: Saturday was very wet and windy, Sunday was dry and sunny and a little breezy.

See you all tomorrow and in case I don't, have a good one.
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    See you there. I won't arrive till the morning.
  • Hi Y'all hope you all have a great night tonight, I am coming from Newbury so won't be there until the morning. Have a great run/ jog/ amble every-one and hopefully I will get to meet a few of you guys. Would be nice to put face to a name!!

Just purchased a HRM so I have a new toy to play with for tomorrow.

Echoing your thoughts Murf - fingers crossed for no rain!!
  • Looks like no rain but possibly stong winds. On the whole, I think I'd prefer it the other way around.

Ah well, time for bed.
  • Hi Ho

Good luck to all
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    george - didn't see your post, but you may have given me a massive clue there towards what my knee pain is - is the ITBS stretch where you put one leg behind the other, and lean your hips to the side of the leg behind you? I will have to search on the Injury forum and see what I can find.

I hope you all did really well, went for a run sat night but couldnt justify doing the race in the state i was in after 2 miles easy running!
  • Hi Guys - just got back home at 5.30ish and ran (?) upstairs to do this.

My time - a winderful 1,55:40 secs!!!!!!!

Yipeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Gill came in at 2.23 and is well pleased with her time too.

Gud to meet you all last night, hope to meet again.

What were your times?
  • JJ
    2:12 with loo break so 20 mins off PB
  • well done to everyone who ran the race. Shame about the delay. Only just decided to run for sure at 7 this morning, after having a nasty sniffly cold all week. It hurt like hell but I'm glad I did it. 1.38.56 - 7 mins behind my PB - but thats life!!
  • Well done Reading People!!!!!
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    How can it happen that we had to wait for over 40 minutes that they get marshals on the road? Have they been so concerned about getting the runners to the start that they have forgotten the marshals? At the later miles there wasn't even real marshaling. Everyone was taken shortcuts, cutting corners, ... . I was really surprised as I was running direct at the right side of the street and people were crossing my way from left to the right, over the grass and some 20 meters later back on the street. Marker band for the original way would have helped.

However, when the race finally got on the way I had a nice jog arround Reading, helping a friend to beat 2 hours. We did it in 1:55:46, so no pb for me, but I still got my nice medal.

The support was really great in Reading, but for me it was the first and last time there. I will stick to the smaller, better organised races.
  • Pat and gill, REALLY well done

Iv posted my other commentson garys fiasco thred
  • Very happy with a 1:54 on the watch, esp. after doing Silverstone last weekend. Probably will do it again, despite the delay at the start. Great support along the route and hills weren't too bad (he laughs insanely).

• 1:35:21... Very happy Jon!

Managed a decent 10 miles at 69 mins but down hill (not literally) from there! Thanks to the magical Venom for being a decent companion for the first 7 miles (despite the fact that you left me on my own!)
  • Apart from being disturbed by a false fire alarm in the Holiday Inn the night before and the delayed start - had a great time!

Managed 1:56 so quite happy with that. Even happier that I beat my PB at the 10 mile mark! Looking forward to next years race.

PS Nice Medal!
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    wow so jealous of all your good times, msised the fire alarm at the holiday inn though alan (luckily!)

bit of detective work to find out reason for delay - feel that my lot can be justified now, so happy - police/firemen whod volunteered to be marshals didn't all turn up, hence we had to grab people out of other jobs like the tent, helpdesk etc, to be new marshals, as soon as they found out the marshals were missing, thats annoying because surely if you make a commitment to help at a race like that, then you actually bother to turn up! I turned up and Id dropped out anyway, so Im sure they could have been there in time as well...
  • annjo - any chance that the results can be done in chip order to reflect our true positions?
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    I think they will do them in excel and pdf, so in excel you can re-arrange the positions according to what ever column the chip times are in. Ill have a word with the help desk guys now though. not a bad idea
  • "my lot can be justified now, so happy"

That's all OK then.

Not good enough I'm afraid. A significant number of volunteers simply didn't turn up? What agreements were in place for these volunteers to turn up? How were they managed and prepared for the event? Do the police volunteer (unpaid) to do this sort of work? What were the contingencies in place for a failure?

It all smacks of poor management and inadequate planning I'm afraid.

Anyway, I'll say no more till I hear the official explanation from Sweatshop and the police.

I take it Sweatshop will be offering some explanation?

Andy
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    rc, im sorry if how I say things upsets you, this is supposed to be a forum when people go on and express their opinions, and my opinion happens to be that I was relieved that the problems weren't as a direct result of the organisers efforts. This is not an official reply, it is MY OPINION, as a runner who happens to work for a company who also organises the race.

"not good enough" - it is my opinion, not an official answer, not even an answer from anyone remotely involved in the organisation of the race, just me expressing how i feel, and if i cant do that then forget these forums, because there is no freedom of speech.

Im sure there will be some official response, but for petes sake please dont interpret my personal posts in this way. i give up!
  • Eh? I took it as your personal opinion.

If marshalls don't turn up, that could well be because it was badly organised, and because problems weren't anticipated, and because there was no plan B - so I don't see how Sweatshop are off the hook.

Far from it.

Andy
  • Please! I haven't spoken to anyone who was happy with the start situation, but things happen! It wasn't Annajo's fault , so lets just forget it and move on!

Jon (being strangely assertive today!)
  • Boy, looking at all the complaints, no wonder volunteers don't turn up. What a very thankless job.

I on the other hand, were able to drop my bag off without queuing (with 20 mins to go to official start), have a lovely lad hand me the medal and say well done. Pitied the poor women who was mobbed for her blankets and then were able to pick up my bag without queuing. Not bad for a mid field finish. Yes, there was room for improvement but so has my PB.

This race had nothing compared to the Nike 10k debacle. Now there was a bad race.
  • I thought the race itself was fine, apart from the lack of water at the first aid station. The support is good, and I'd no complaints with the marshals. It was just the very beginning and the very end that were a disappointment, and took the gloss off the event. I'm sure it's true, Muzzer, that some races are even worse, but I'm not sure if that makes Reading OK.

I think organising a race through a major town like this must be incredibly difficult. But this is why I feel frustrated by the way it was handled. Either we don't do it at all because the logistics are too diffucult, or we decide to do it, and make sure that every possible forseeable problem is covered, with a contingency to deal with last minute glitches.

I've no doubt that Whitley Wood can be a tough place to organise a race so you either don't include a place like that in the route, or you treat it as a separate task with special treatment (leafletting, posters, extra marshals, extra liaison with police etc.)

It just comes down to the quality of your organisation. Let's face it, Sweatshop is a retailer, and just because they sell running gear, it doesn't mean that they know anything about how to organise a major sporting event. It really has to be a council and police operation, with dedicated planners, equipment and staff.

It deserves to succeed, as it does get a lot of crowd support. I'd like to see the local press support it better too.

Andy
  • Amused by signs advertising local paper saying Reading Half Marathon! Full details of Road Closures! Wow good publicity!
  • that delay (and the joke telling bloke) were annoying, so unhappy at start of the race....

however, ecstatic at end of race with a PB smashing 1:29:45!! (beat old one by 3:45)

Cheers, to jon and venom, who without knowing it helped me a lot by running past me at mile 3, which tweaked me to up my pace (trying to keep those blue shirts from getting more than 50 yards ahead). ta guys!!

cheers,
    smileyElfStyle