Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Hi mate! Shame I couldn't keep up with you. I drifted behind to a pathetic little trot at the end which I wasn't too happy with, but glad you managed to whop my butt! Couldn't have been done by a nicer fella!
  • I thought you were going to slipstream me down that hill? I obviously need to eat more pies if I am to act as a more effective windbreak :)

You did a top notch effort to bash your PB down so much.

I think the URWFRC tops are a lovely shade of blue!
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    PB by 12 minutes

not a bad day - people were great organisation was good for water (after first stop) - not so good for timing
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    to respond to running commentary's point about Sweatshop being a retailer and therefore not as good as a council for organisation, well sweatshop is new at organising Reading, it was organised by the council last year, where there were also complaints (about the baggage system).

We have organised the Nottingham marathon and half marathon for the last two years, having taken on the 2001 event after the local council dropped it as not viable or not profitable, and generally I believe it has been well received.

Im not sure, but I also think that the guy actually in charge of race organisation has got quite a bit of experience in previous races.

did anyone not run a PB!? I was hoping for a PB of about 20 minutes, having not run a half for over a year, but it was not meant to be. george, could you give me some details of those exercises you do? I am seeing a physio on Thursday but am stretching my ITBand and would like to be doing some exercises before Thursday.
  • Thanks Squinty! Perhaps next time eh?!

I'm now going to alter my training to suit longer distances now, so watch this space!

My breathing was fine, only really had calf problems... 10 mins off though, so shouldn't grumble!!
  • annajo - I didn't do a PB, but then I had to palteau at some point!! Thanks for sorting out the results to include chip order.
  • The baggage system was splendid this year, so well done Sweatshop on that. But when it comes to closing roads and recruiting an army of marshals, perhaps this should be done by the council and police, with Sweatshop as advisers?

One of the worst things was that there was no PA system for the sub 1-50 people (those round the corner) so we had no idea what was, or was not, happening.

Andy
  • Well done on getting round, EP. It's a tough course, and the first one is always the hardest.

Next time you'll have a better idea of what you have to do.

Andy
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Actually, the baggage bit was manned by Reading Roadrunners.
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    the marshals that didn't turn up were from the police! and the baggage system was part of the main organisation, but then people like Reading road runners and local organisations volunteer to help out (these people were great, giving up their time, and seems like the baggage in particular was better than last year).

Actually the furthest-flung set of volunteers was a scout/ATC squadron from Nottingham! They turned up on the Saturday, tidied up the tents with ruthless efficiency then vanished again! very weird at the time, but very useful as well - cheers guys!
  • Actually the baggage bit was quite fun. The only problem was getting too hot as the shuttles up & down the hall intensified at the peak times. Managed to not collide with anyone else and even managed the odd race with fellow baggage putters & fetchers.

Although the majority of the putters & fetchers were RRR's there were a significant number of Rivermead staff helping, plus a few other volunteers including a lovely Scots lass whom I had to explain the finer points of rugby's 6 nations and how important it is in Wales;) I was surprised how few Welshman ran yesterday... :)

Ye.

You'll have to introduce yourself sometime Muttley - I haven't twigged who you are and haven't had the inclination to ferret around.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Re annajo's comment above. I increasingly get the feeling the police don't like events like these. It's not the first time I've heard of them being unwilling.

As a Reading council tax payer, I contribute my bit to their upkeep. A little more public spirit on their part wouldn't go amiss.
  • annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    didnt the potteries marathon stop running because of police costs increasing massively?
  • Re: Baggage People - Must say a huge "THANK YOU!" Handed my bag in within seconds and it must have taken mmmmm.... at least 15 seconds for it to be retrieved! Well Done!
  • Its definately not a race for slower runners. We had no space blankets at the end and as we were running round at around 9 miles+ alot of the bands were packing up too. I think its us slower ones that need the encouragement from things like bands and supporters/marshalls.
  • Guilty Susi :-( The space blankets seemed to stick together very well, and I honestly didn't notice I actually had 2 until I got home. I imagine this probably happened to a lot of people, explaining why they probably ran out. Will make doubly sure I only have 1 next time so there are some left for you!
  • thank you but after yesterday I'm never doing a half marathon again, I'll be sticking to 5k / 10k's.
  • Oh dear! Was it that bad an experience?
  • Yes. For me it was. Where I live there are no hills and so found the course quite hard work.
  • Well done you anyway! At least you can add a half marathon to your list of triumphs!
  • Thought that was a motorbike ?
    Re: the guy who helps organise these events for sweatshop or used too, is called Chris sumner and a really nice chap.
    Must admit he was a triathlon organiser at 1st but still if you can get over the logistics of that you can handle most things.
    And like AJ says it was not the fault of the people at rivermead that the race was delayed, but something out of thier control at the time.
    Apart from a few glitches you must admit it is a good race when your out there. If it had been a bit less windy it may not have been so bad. But the guys that had offered to help were, like Aj said volenteers from the fire service(who may or may not have had to go and do other things, like put out a fire maybe).
  • Hi al. Agree about the start I was nicely warmed up to start at 9.30 got really cold and stiff standing around.....but really pleased ran 2.00.46 PB and knocked 7 minutes off my time last week at Silverstone. That 1.59 is getting within reach.

Nice to meet Foxy & Freind at the Finish as well!

• That was supposed to read HI ALL
  • Hi EP,
    I did beat beat you but not by much. My chip time was 2hrs 37mins.
    BTW, did you manage to get hold of a Reading Post yesterday? If so did it have photo's or results in?

Thanks.
  • Were the photo's any good? Would you be able to recognise yourself in them if you were there? Only I asked someone at work who lives in Reading if he'd get me a copy but he said today that they'd all sold out. The "Obsessed One" always wants to look out for himself in any race photo's, he's desparate to be seen in print :-)
  • See if you can spot me in the start picture EP!

Susi hopefully you were on of the people Spans and I were cheering on, on Portman Road. You must have been just behind Benz.

Most of the pictures are in tomorrows copy I believe