When is a mile not a mile ?

Comments

• MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Maxticate - your paper method is the method I'm currently using. It is definitely accurate: I recently measured one of my training routes using this method at 3.8 miles. When I drove the route in the car it came out as dead on 3.8 miles.

It's just a bit time-consuming, especially when you want to find a route of a specific length and have to spend ages measuring various routes only to find they're longer/shorter than you're looking for.

If you want an indication of mile markers I find marking the piece of paper with 1-mile intervals in a different colour before starting to measure the route is helpful.

But I'd much prefer some kind of electronic gadget that does this for me. John Lewis does one but I haven't been able to find it in-store and I'm not keen on the idea of buying on-line.
  • I see that www.cotswold-outdoor.com (look under accessories/compasses) do a manual map measurer for £9 and an electronic one for £15. You roll a little wheel over a map and it tells you how far this is. Easier than string and card and less technically demanding than software. Probably more accurate than both too.

I'm all for metric! It's the best thing Napoleon ever did.
  • So whats your metric shoe size then and what do you drink down the pub??
  • But avoiding the whole metrication argument and going back to 15% accuracy on vehicle odometers - does this mean the speedo can be out by 15% as well? This would seem likely as they're driven from the same source.

So you could be pottering along at a careful 30, and actually be doing 34.5. Which would be really bad news round our way as the speed cameras are multiplying like rabbits, and they're set to go off at 33mph......

I wonder if I got done if I could claim the costs back from the car manufacturer as they're bloody speedo wasn't accurate enough??

Actually, I could probably use speed cameras as mile markers, that's about how common they're becoming....
  • Sorry, 'their' not 'they're'. Pedantic, but as freaky keeps pointing out we runners don't have enough to think about.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Like the cotton method, or paper method.
    Invariably I guess from the time it takes.
    So this morning did a warm up and some laps of the footy pitch as intervals and jogged home. All in all 51 minutes , so , ooooh , about 6.9 miles then......

Fatbutfit - yes we're metric here.On my road run I don't reacll seeing a single road sign marked in Kms.
    BTW whats the speed limit on the motorway?
    or more importantly isn't it 26 miles 385 yards ?

Duster , 6ft (183cms?), 12st 4 (80kgs?), size 11.5 (47)

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Oh and for Freaky - guest bitter ,
  • After 2009 the only Imperial measurements that will remain will be the mile, the acre, the pint for draught beer and cider and doorstep milk, fluid ounces and troy ounces for precious metals. From www.ukmetrication.com:

I've no issue with those who want to keep using Imperial but it just seems archaic in my view!

As for 26 miles 385 yards - read on.

When the modern Olympic games were inaugurated in 1896 in Greece, the legend of Pheidippides (who ran from a battlefield at the site of the town of Marathon, Greece, to Athens in 490 B.C) was revived by a 24.85 mile (40km) run from Marathon Bridge to Olympic stadium in Athens. At the 1908 Olympic Games in London, the marathon distance was changed to 26 miles to cover the ground from Windsor Castle to White City Stadium, with 385 yards added on so the race could finish in front of royal family's viewing box. After 16 years of extremely heated discussion, this 26.2 mile distance was established at the 1924 Olympics in Paris as the official marathon distance and has stayed that way since.

So if you want to be historically correct, the correct modern marathon distance is 40km. And 26 miles 385 yards is pure Imperial bloody-mindedness!
  • Since you ask, Freaky, mine is one of those annoyingly small and outrageously overpriced orange-juices in bottles that wouldn't quench the thirst of a gnat.

I don't know really why I'm for metrication - it just seems much easier to use, logical and modern. (I won't even start on the pro/anti Europe/US stuff.)

Today: haul my 77kg, 1.855m body over approx 13k. Using the rule-of-thumb formula:
    distance x bodyweight = kCal
    => 13 x 77 = 1000kCal used

Yippee! Time for a few more orange juices!
  • Whoops! kCal? Shurely shome mishtake! Too many Britvics. Hic. Joules just don't make for such easy arithmetic.
  • Well done Dan for using metric. Keep up the Britvic!

I'm doing the Brighton 10k on Sunday - be very interesting to see if they have mile markers as well as km markers for "head in sand" runners. I must say that when people ask me for my height/weight and I reply in metric they don't half give you a funny look!! Amazing consdiering that metric has been taught in schools for years. Years - is that metric? - just thought about that!!
  • Well I being a metric martyr am doing the good old fashioned stockport 10 mile at which it will be once again depressingly confirmed that i am a 10 minute miler and I won't have a piece of string on my person.

Will have a pint after though or even a gill
  • Can't buy gills these days - it 25ml I think.
  • Going back to the original thread, if you don't want to feel let down by your pace, don't measure it. The whole idea of running for most of us is not competative, it's because we enjoy it and it makes us feel good, lose weight, look better, relieves stress etc. etc. Don't get obsessed with measurement either metric or imperial

This rant is more for my benefit than anything as I found myself with a calculator, map, piece of string and the car mileage - working out my times after finishing my run last night. If all tots up and mileage is accurate, I vary between 5.688 per mile and 7.6 depending on the distance I'm running. I even went into the Km calculations, some kind of sad!!!

My wife thinks I'm fast, I think she's fast but at the end of the day neither of us are going to set the world alight.

Just enjoy and mine's a pint of bitter or 8 with a few roll ups thrown in for good measure.
  • Naaa. Can't agree with you there CN. A frisson of competition (and it's usually only with yourself) is no bad thing. I reckon it's worth knowing that run A is 8k and run B is 13k. You can compare and contrast. What's the point of a training log after all.

Plus if you're ever going to run a marathon or really any significant distance you'll probably want to follow someone else's training schedule and then you'll want to measure the distances run.

Dan. (Size 47)
    Oh and a packet of peanuts please.
  • Cheesy Winnits with mine please - oops, wrong thread.
  • OK Dan, you win, I was just trying to get over the feeling of intense competition I have with myself. I do think though that the reason for running should dictate the amount of time spent on analysis.

Totally DIY at the moment but might do the Chelmsford 10K so at least I can be sure that someone else has gone around with the wheely thing to measure it.

A Marathon, isn't that a Snickers now?
  • Sadly my age is approaching my (metric) shoe-size - so I recognise the connection between a peanut-packed confectionary bar and a race of 42k. We're a diminishing number. Yikes! I'm feeling all mortal!
  • God mine too how depressing still put a new light on having big feet.
  • I've gone past my metric shoe size of 44 by a couple of sizes now, OR are my feet getting smaller?
  • I can now see a clear reason for the use of metric shoe sizes, "act your age not your shoe size" was always an irritant and if I think about Imperial sizes I am fast approaching 4X mine which could depress the hell out of me if I took the time to think about it - OH God I just have!!

What about a half marathon, could that be a snack size? Does a 10K become a bite out of your mates marathon?
  • Mmm - yes. Could be a new post-imperial measurement. A '10k' is infact a modest intake of energy equivalent to, say, 50kCal or 210kJ.

Additionally, perhaps this is new age-banding for races: Pre-Snickers.

Yes! The Pre-Snickers Fraternity. (We few, we happy few ...)

Suppose I'd better do some work.
  • No problem at all with Metric except that my car has a mileometer. I always thought is was 7% error. Yes it does affect the speedo as well whic his why cameras always used to be set no lower than 80 on the motorways etc. Also why they are set for 33mph (actually 10% but allows a little bit of leeway). Shoe siize 42 and ein Grosse Bier bitte was the first thing I learnt in German.
  • Welcome to the Pre-Snickers Frat. You certainly know your nutrition.
  • Still can't get out of my head the question "What's got a hazelnut in every bite?. Answer "Squirrel s**t!"
  • Its time to "out" those course measurers. The answer to the original question is:-

"When its the mile you race over".

Those pesky course measurers will be trying their hardest to make sure the mile you race is 1761.76 yards +/- 1.76 yards (+/- 0.1%). They will also be making sure they measure the shortest possible route, they will cut all the legal corners as well. Only runners running in isolation will have a chance of running that route.

Have a look at Mike Sandford's course measurement section on the seaa.org.uk website.

Included on that site is John Jewell's seminal paper on course measurement which, I'm sorry SS, demonstrates that the wheel thingy you used is the least accurate of the "accurate methods". Depending on the speed you pushed it it will over estimate the distance by varying amounts - faster you push it the more it will spin when not in contact with the ground as goes over the bumps.

Don't get me wrong, course measurers have my admiration and they provide the guarantee that we don't less than the advertised distance.

Ye.
  • MikeyMikey ✭✭✭

This thread reminds me of the aphorism:

"A man with one watch is certain of the time. A man with 2 is never sure".

It's often attributed to Confucious although I doubt they had watches in his day :)

Mikey
  • You need to go on that thread about running quotes, Mikey that is a good one