plantar facilitis what now

Comments

• Debbie-I did 9x400m last night at the running club with Superfeet in the Asics -some soreness this morning which largely goes when the foot gets "warmed up." I've used Superfeet in tennis shoes to not much effect. When the Othaheel sports arrive I'll report then.Orthaheel in my normal shoes seems fine so far.
    I'd be reluctant to buy Superfeet too at around 50% more than Orthaheel. What I'm not doing is resting to let the condition subside -but it's not so severe I can't live with it. 10K this Sunday -probably in the Superfeet.
  • Debbie-managed to get the shock wave treatment after reading about a physio in London who does it Urth Carlson I think? I then decided that as I pay for private health care through my job I would try and get it. Managed to find an Orthopaedic Consultant who approved and here I am on the 2nd treatment. 3 treatments are recommended and thats what my health insurance have agreed to. Ideally the treatments should be 6 weeks apart and STRICTLY NO RUNNING IN BETWEEN!!! I`ve been really good and done everything I`ve been told to do ( this time!!) and I`m glad to say that today its feeling slightly better...just been for a 3 mile walk with no ill effects so far. Hard to imagine running again (Havent run since FLM!) but I suppose I`ll get back gradually.
  • DoctorK - not resting? Shock horror! Just like the rest of us then :o) The only problem is that it'll probably never get better if you don't. However, I rested for 11 weeks at first and as it hadn't gone away, I gave up resting! Not run now for 2 weeks but will probably do a little tiny run tomorrow cos I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. There's no way I could manage 10K though - 3 miles leave me in agony the following day, although that was before I got orthotics so will have to try again soon. Good luck on Sunday - hope you get on OK.
    Rose - I don't think the shock wave stuff has reached us here in Lancashire yet. It sounds expensive too - how much for a session? Are 3 treatments supposed to cure it completely? I'm pleased that you're seeing some results - I'm sure once you start running again, it'll seem like you've never been away. I can't wait for the day when I can run without pain, then have no ill effects the day after! Hope you continue to improve.
  • Debbie -The pain I get is variable and never that bad that I can't run. This morning it's virtually gone away -36 hrs after the track session. I rarely run on consecutive days anyway. Did a 10K Sunday before last in the Asics without any sort of added support and was a bit sore later in the day -mind you so was every muscle in my legs, so as much as I don't like it-being 46 is part of the problem! I'll report after Trafford with the Superfeet.
  • Debbie, I feel your pain! But wanted to let you know my PF was so bad last year they had to put my foot in a soft cast. That foot is now completely pain free. Alas, now I am dealing with another injury in my right!
  • DocK - the odd thing is that it doesn't hurt when I run, not after the first few minutes anyway. It just starts about 30 mins after I get back and gets worse the day after. So I think, deep down, that I shouldn't really run! Hope Sunday goes well - I'm going away on Monday morning for a few days but I'll catch your comments when I get back.
    Lucrece - was it the soft cast that cured it? What IS a soft cast? I once had a soft cast but only because I got my hard cast wet - but that was for something entirely different. How bad does it have to be to get a cast? Sounds better than a cortisone injection (my next move if orthotics don't help) How long was the cast on for? Wow - I am soooo nosy. I hope it's not PF in your right foot and that you get better soon. I never realised running could be so detrimental to health!
  • I'm told that the pain diminishes when the foot gets "warmed up" in a morning. Usually the morning after a tennis match my foot is extremely sore but after walking on it for a few minutes it starts to wear off. Still waiting for Orthaheel Sports but the regular ones feel very good in my ordinary shoes and are making a difference already. No pain whatever this morning which is unusual.
  • Debbie me to
    i am ok when i run but afterwards the pain kicks in no matter how much i stretch and ice its worse the next day but then eases off so i am down to run every other day for now which dosent help when i am due to do the liverpool half in 6 weeks

lawrence i have took your advice and bought new shoes brooks beat they seem to do the trick and am off to buy some orthaheel from boots
    do you think i need both sets 1 for normal shoe and a set for my trainers they seem ok for now or would i be better getting sports ones for them as well
  • DocK - don't get too excited too soon! The first 2 days I wore my Orthaheels, I thought my problems were over. So little pain. A week later, it was back with a vengeance. Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm and I really, really hope it works for you, but my physio warned me it was 3 steps forward, 2 back.

Colin - apologies for hijacking your thread but many thanks for starting it. I've learned loads. I've found that no amount of stretching/icing helps either after I've run. It's nice to know I'm not alone. It's good that you can get out every other day. I'm sure it'll be enough for Liverpool. I did my first (and only) half marathon in February and I don't think I ever ran 2 days in a row. Mind you, I had no specific time target in mind. That was before I was injured and I think it's amazing that anyone with PF can run that far. Maybe I'm just a big wuss but I wouldn't dream of trying! Can't wait to get better though cos I'm dying to do another one.
    Not sure if the orthotics are still 3 for 2 at Boots. Their website doesn't mention it anymore. I'm sure Lawrence will be able to give you more advice on what type to use but when I rang Orthaheel to say the regular ones were hurting me in my work shoes, they said it's OK to wear sports ones in normal shoes. My physio said not to wear the regular ones in sports shoes though as you need full length ones for running.
    Good luck with it all - keep us informed of your progress, especially if you find a miracle cure!
  • Debbie- Well, ran the Trafford 10K yesterday (best time!) with Superfeet inserts. Not too bad afterwards a bit of pain but not too bad -usually occurs a couple of hours later when my legs are stiffening up after the run. Felt better than it did after my last track session but guess the Superfeets lack a bit of arch support to be honest. Don't think they're going to help you. Waiting for the Orthaheel sports now -hopefully will get them by weekend then I can try them at Macclesfield.
    Regular Orthaheels still feel good in my shoes and have improved things.
  • debbie no probs hijack away just glad people like you are out there to console (no pun intended) us and prove its not the end of the world when you pick up injuries and annoying little pains.
    orthaheel are still 3 for 2 at boots but dont think i need more than 1 pair for now so will buy the sports ones at weekend for my regular shoes and see how that goes

• Debbie -regular orthaheels now over a week and feel fine.
    -Sports ones have arrived today -might go for a very light run tomorrow but will be wearing them in the Gawsworth 10K Sunday(mostly off road) so I'll report Monday. They do seem to have better arch support than the Superfeet ones. If you decide to buy them then take your running shoe insole to get the right size then use it as a template to trim if necessary.
    Orthaheel sandals also arrived -feel good -will wear them round the house as replacement for Scholl fitness ones. Again built in good arch support.
    Hopefully things will be better now -I'll know when I've had a good rest from running -I'll use a week in Lanzarote for that I think.
  • Hi folks can I join in?

I've recently (last couple of weeks) had some niggly post run calf pain, this then seemed to mutate into "during run" outer shin/ankle pain. I thought I was OK sow ent for a run the other night. After less than 2 miles my right heel started to hurt internally and I had to stop, there is now a dull ache (not too painful) inside my right heel all the time and I'm too frightened to try and run. The only way I can "feel" it as such is to put thumb and forefinger either side of the boney bits at the back side of my heel and squeeze, this creates discomfort rather than sharp pain. Does this sound like pf or is it something else? Any assistance most grateful as I'm down for the GNR in 2 weeks and don't want to miss it.
  • Could be PF -to be honest if the discomfort is manageable I run on it. I rarely run two days in succession and that usually means it's fine
  • Done lots of walking on holiday and managed a couple of runs with my orthotics in - NO PAIN WHEN RUNNING!!! (Sorry, got a bit excited there). Did a 4 miler, day off, then a 3 miler. It was a bit sore straight after but found that I didn't have that really bad "day-after" pain. Now decided that running isn't making things worse so will try to step up the mileage a bit. Maybe it's helping that I've slowed down too. I'm beginning to learn to live with it rather than try and beat it.

Colin - I can't believe you can resist a 3 for 2 offer! Must be a man thing!

DoctorK - it seems like you're making real progress. Well done on the Trafford 10K. You certainly give me hope that one day I'll manage a longer run again. Thanks for all the feedback on the orthotics - I look forward to your comments on Monday. The sandals sound good but I think I'll carry on with regular Orthaheels in my slippers for now. I'm tempted to try a 5K on Sunday. It's through a country park close to home and although I'll get a personal worst time, I'm desperate to do a race again!

3Legs - welcome aboard. Symptoms sound like PF but don't you have any pain underneath your heel at all? Try pressing really hard. Is it worse when you first get out of bed?
    I'd go and see a physio quick if I were you. If it is something minor, you may be able to get rid of it before the GNR with a bit of treatment. Good luck.
  • I suffered with pf for several months,and tried diferent remedies, none worked until
    i saw a physio that treated me for about seven weeks. it went somthing like this
    1st week taped foot for two days no running
    2nd taped foot for two days no running, easy stretching
    3rd 4th and 5th same as 2nd
    6th same plus 15 mins treadmill
    7th same plus 30 mins treadmill
    then i had to tape the foot at home and start running short spells on the road
  • Debbie- Wore the Orthaheel sports for first time today at Gawsworth 10K. Felt good to run on. Some soreness after but then again all my legs ache-knees, thighs etc comes with the territory of being 46!Heel is a bit sore but again I've never stopped running and have done 2 10K's on successive Sundays. Will rest for a week in early October so will have a better indication then. They definitely are more supportive than Superfeet in my view and at twenty odd quid are probably worth a stab.
  • Oppit - are you cured completely now? Did the physio give you other treatment as well as taping? If so, what? That plan seems quite easy to stick to. I've had plenty of taping, rest and stretching but never in such a structured way. I've not done any treadmill running either. Did you find you suffered less when using a treadmill rather than the road? Do you use orthotics at all?
    Sorry for all the questions!

DocK - I did a 5K today in my Orthaheel Sports and just had one twinge when I was going too fast downhill. It's great to race again although I was shattered at the end! Just 54 seconds slower than last year so pleasantly surprised at that. I'd forgotten just how hilly the park is. Sore foot now though!
    Won't bother with the Superfeet then if you think the Orths are better. They seem to be working for me now anyway.
    Let's hope we're both OK tomorrow!
  • Debbie
    My foot has been ok since this treatment
    exept sometimes i get a tight feeling under my arch but very rare, it was just a case of taping and stretching but dont leave the tape on for long just a couple of days a week. the tape must be applied correctly to be able to do its job, I used the treadmill because it is softer to run on to start with I didnt use any orthotics at all
  • Mild soreness this morning but largely OK -bit of discomfort yesterday evening but I was out in the afternoon walking round an antiques fair rather than resting it post-run.
  • Hey guys.

The pain I'm experiencing seems to be deep in the ball of my heel. It doesn't feel like a tissue based pain and no matter how hard I press with fingers doesn't hurt any more than my other unaffected foot. Doesn't hurt particularly when I first wake up either but as the day goes on the more time I spend on my feet the more it is noticeable and when I lift my foot off the floor, or walk on my forefeet it alleviates it. does this sound familiar?
  • Yes. similar to mine and also on the inside of the foot just at the edge of the heel. Orthaheel is helping me and on another thread someone mentions www.orthoticsonline.co.uk -Debbie that might interest you- a sort of mail order orthotic custom made for thirty odd quid -sounds interesting. Guessw e want something that works thats all!
    Foot not bad today after 10K yesterday -so I'll stay with Orthaheel sports for now
  • Oppit - thanks for the response. I'll have a chat with my physio tomorrow about the taping program. The last time he taped it he told me to keep it on as long as possible - he said it wouldn't do any good if it was only on for a couple of days! So many different opinions. Kept it on for a week and it was minging when I removed it! I was so desperate to wash my foot.

3Legs - it sounds a bit different to mine as I can find the sore spot if I press hard around the bottom of my heel. I have been having more pain around the inside of my heel recently but I put that down to the orthotics. Since I trimmed them down a bit, this pain has eased. Unfortunately, I'm now getting pain in both big toe joints!!!
    I used to suffer badly first thing in a morning until I started wearing a night splint. Now it's no worse when I get up than it is later in the day. I reckon we've all got our own little variations which is why it's so hard to find a cure we can all use successfully.

DocK - I've seen the orthoticsonline plug on another thread too. Mentioned it to my physio but he said it's impossible to do your own casting. He reckons you can't get your feet in the right position. How do I know who's telling the truth? To be honest, I think I would benefit from custom orthotics because after a month of the Orthaheels, my PF is definitely showing signs of improvement but I'm getting other niggles instead. It's just knowing where to go and who to trust. Will give the Orth's another month or so before deciding.
  • Hi,
    I had PF (started 8 weeks ago). Custom orthotics have pretty much cured it. Got a pair for everyday use and one for running. Expensive, but seem to have done the trick. The podiatrist I went to offered castings to fit the orthotics, but said that even a casting done by a profssional has problems as you're not standing up. I spent a good half hour with lots of small wegdes being placed under my feet while standing. Bit like an eye test for feet.

Threes weeks in and I have no pain at all. Still need to stretch my feet in the moring before I get up. Back to my pre PF mileage as well.

Hope this helps.
  • Starting to see light at the end of the tunnel at last - Have been to see a podiatrist twice and have had laser therapy and had various packing pieces put in my running shoes under the arch and the heel. One or a combination of these has made a real differnce and I'm now back to running 5 days a week with the pain decreasing every day, I even managed a pain free speedwork track session.
    I am hoping there is a more permanent solution for these packing pieces (custom insoles/orthotics?)
  • Not ran since Sunday (due to nightshifts)still using orthaheel in normal shoes and very little discomfort -will run Sat/or Sun using Orthaheel sports and report then.
  • Debbie

All sounds good. Dont over do things in your excitement!

Dont bother with orthotics online. I personally think its pretty poor practice and would be pure chance if you get anything effective or comfortable.
  • Noted Lawrence re on line -I won't bother with it either. At the minute Orthaheel seems to be doing the business.
  • Lots of positive feedback for custom orthotics. I'm finding the Orthaheel Sports fine, but the regular ones are causing more pain on the inside of my heel, so much so that I've stopped wearing them. This means I'm walking round all day at work with no orthotics so I'm a bit concerned that I won't get better, ever!
    Had a strange experience today whilst running. Went over on my ankle on an uneven bit and felt the pain in my heel. Carried on for a while but it was quite sore so stopped for a few mins. When I started again - no pain. Got back from my run expecting my usual discomfort but it's never materialised. Feels quite good now. Soooo strange! Go on everyone - sprain your ankle - it cures PF within an hour ;o)

Hi Lawrence - good to hear from you again. Not bothering with the orthotics-online. I wouldn't dream of buying trainers by mail order so I'm certainly not going to risk something as important as orthotics. I'll give the Orthaheels a few more weeks then try a cortisone injection - if that doesn't work then I'll opt for custom orthotics. Unless of course my sprained ankle has cured it already...
  • Debbie beeb a while since I saw the exact orthoheels - coudl you cut the sports so that they a 3/4 length like the regular?

Were you wearing the regular or super slim ones for work?

Could you get permission to wear non-work shoes for work for a while?