Marathon of Britain - 6 days, 175 miles

Comments

• Hi Heidi,

Well done- sounds like you are doing fantastically. You really are a superstar- we are all very proud of you and what you are doing this week. You truly are amazing.

Keep going and I can't wait to see you when it's all over.

xxxxx
  • Just wanted to say good luck and I hope the weather stays nice and cool for you this week.

tt
  • Awesome! Keep it going!

Girl Power!
  • unfortunately missing this years mob due to slight injury and pulled back, well done all especially heidi, was looking at last years times and day 2 was won in 7:21, either this years maps are easier to follow or everyone is running a damn site faster. looks like the weather is going to cool down for the rest of the week, should be helpful for the big day.
  • Heidi

Hey you!! Neil here. I am really sorry to hear about Andy - please tell him that I hope he is OK and that I look forward to seeing him soon.

How is Dan getting on? Are his knees holding out? Talking of which I hope your scars have healed from your cartoonesque slid down the back window of that car!!!

I am really sorry that I am not there with you guys this year but I am fondly thinking of you as the clouds draw in and the thunder follows the lightning!!

You are doing really well!! Keep it up and enjoy the experience!! I am very jealous!!

Say Hi to Rorz and Richie for me and everyone else.

Take care and write soon!!
  • I was slightly heartened by the slowest time yesterday

does that mean-----------
  • Yes... you can do it next year PH!
  • Judging by your picture you have lost your grip on reality;)
  • This is exciting stuff Heidi, I remember reading a report of last years race and thinking it was unbelievably tough, particulary in the baking heat. You are doing very well indeed, all that training has paid off! Looking forward to tomorrows report, keep your pecker up.
  • Stage 3 – 33 miles, and then some!!

Thanks again for all your messages. Hi Neil and Paul, you have been missed out here by a lot of the guys. Dan is doing really well, knees holding out and came in third today. Sal, can’t wait to see you and have bottle of wine or two, or three, like normal!

To be honest, I really struggled today, and feel the lowest so far. We awoke to the thunderstorm early this morning, it had started the night before. Our tents were also on a slope (I think it was Rory’s idea of a joke!), and so spent all night sinking to the bottom. I didn’t have much sleep, but nor did anyone else. The rain stopped just before we started off, which was a relief. Mike and I ran together again, the navigation was supposed to be relatively easy all the way to Stratford-Upon-Avon racecourse, but we got very lost, very quickly, and went a long way in the wrong direction. We lost a lot of time, and finally caught up with the back runners – they over took us again, when we got lost, again! – I then slipped in a cowpat – things were getting worse! Mike experienced and put up with my bad mood and foul language, to which I am ever grateful. We finally got back on track, and it was a hard and mind-numbing slog up the old railway (some of the Stratford Marathon course) to checkpoint 3. The difficult part was reaching checkpoint 3, as this is also the turn for the finish line. It was very hard to think positive when you are already low from getting lost, everything hurts, you see the finish line and know that it is going to be hours before you can actually cross. The next part took us through Stratford-Upon-Avon, we must have looked bad, as parents were pulling their children away from us….. we were met with strange and worried looks!

The rest of the checkpoint stage ran along the canal, and we managed to pick up some mileage. Mike rescued a lady that fell in the canal – what a hero. The last miles to the finish were quite funny. Mike and I were so tired, we started to talk nonsense, and had trouble working out simple things like, which way the map went! The finish line was quite an emotional sight, and my legs were very wobbly. Even though the day was very tough for me, I don’t think I would change it at all. This event is not just about getting from A to B as quick as you can, it is also about navigation. The highs and lows come with both these aspects, and these memories are what will make my experience here so special and unique.

I want to send my thanks and admiration to the MOB crew that have persevered at every checkpoint, standing in the pouring rain making sure we all get back safe and sound – hats off to you all.

Tomorrow is the same again, I am hoping I won’t get so lost!

Today’s winners were Maria and Jeremy coming in 5hr 52mins. The last runner came in 12hrs 02 mins. Overall positions have changed. Maria is now in the lead.
  • Well done Heidi, hope you make it through to the end, it certainly gives us runners something to aim for in the future.

Tim, if you're interested in this one, i'll keep you company, but don't expect me to stop running :)
  • who is this person who does 11-12 hours
    respect!

i symapthise about stratty course-horrid
  • I always have problems navigating, you have my smpathies Heidi-and you've been warned Flying Ant (why do you think i prefer going round in circles all day?)
  • Can't you get those GPS satellite navi things that tell you which way to go ?
    Or are they banned for races ?

Heidi, hope someone is going to publish a big article including pictures of your great feat when its all over.
    Perhaps a big RW spread ?
    Will you become a future official RW pacer for us forumites next year ? (think carefully before you commit yourself to that one) :)
  • Hi Heidi,

Having done MoB last year its great to read your reports - brings back wonderful memories! - thankfully we didn't have the rain to contend with last year - just the heat.

How are the stinging nettles? I think today (day 4) you should come across a nice crop of them all the way up to your waist - umm... lovely!

Its a fantastic race made all the more challenging with the navigation - who wants to do an easy race anyway!

Say Hi to dan, rob cousins, Paul Taylor (crew) Andy Rivette, Phil Hudson, Anke. Dan, fantastic, your up there with the leaders - keep going. Heidi, good luck for today and the longest day - I shall keep reading - wishing I was there!
  • Oh the racecourse - I remember that day well!! To be honest with you I really enjoyed that day last year - I am sorry that you found it hard going. You will be loving it by the end of the long day - honest. You have such a good attitude to the whole race, I know that you will do really well.

Heidi can you do me a favour? I received a Christmas card in the post last week (yes a Christmas card!!) from Phil and Rebecca. I have no idea how it has taken 8 months to reach me but that is the Royal Mail for you!! Can you say thank you to them for it (I am assuming that Rebecca is there).

Can you also give a big (but very masculine - I know that might be difficult for you but you know what I mean!) hug to Paul Taylor (my main man!), Rob (a great admirer of female forearms), Andy (keep drinking that Slimfast!), Anke (a wonderous human being), Dan (this one might be slightly easier for you as far as the hugging is concerned) and along with the hug a big sloppy (but again very masculine) kiss for the great Rorz (I don't care if the map is wrong - you made it back didn't you?) and Richie (No - I didn't do that - that was Rory's department!!).

A huge well done to everyone who is out there this week. It may not feel like it now but you are probably having one of the best and most memorable weeks of your life - honest!!

An even bigger well done to all the MOB support crew, the majority of which are volunteers and who have huge logistical nightmares to deal with every day! Well done!!

Big Hi to Mimi and Paul S - you guys probably feel as bad as I do about not being there - it is really hard not being a part of it this year!

Rory - stick me down for next year and the Lite!!
  • Why do I envisage a group of knackered runners huddling round a laptop of an evening looking for much needed support?

Well done to you all and keep going. You are all obviously bloody mental but in a nice way.

Looking into getting to Nottingham for the finish on Thursday, what time are peeps expected to start arriving? Can anyone give me a clue?
  • Oooo, oooo, were you running along the A46 last night by the stag at Redhill?

If you were then I saw some of you. i nearly pulled over to say Hi, but thought you'd probably deck me.

i was all excited though...
  • well done Heidi on another difficult day!!If your race reports continue like this i may just have to do one of these things myself soon!

Oh dear, the insanity begins!
  • Wow... this is so inspiring to read!

Hope that your feet are holding out alright - how are those blisters?

Must have felt pretty disheartening to have got lost when you were feeling so tired... I really hope that you find today alot easier to navigate and get a good rest before Thursdays long stage (which I guess you're probably trying not to think too much about?! Oops!)

• Anyone know how much this little insanity costs ? Inspired to give it a go next year but finances might be a bit tight.
  • all race reports for last years race and this years race and entry details can be found at www.marathonofbritain.com

entry fee around £700
  • ant: you'll pay for me & tim too.. right?
  • Not cheap but even more reason to make sure you're well prepared. I wouldn't want to spash out £700 and drop out after day 1.
  • Keep going Heidi you are doing great :-)

It sounds extreamly tough but you still seem in high spirts so well done!!

Look forward to hearing about today, I also think you definatly deserve a spread in the RW mag next month...if you do maybe include how you prepared yourself for something like this, I find it really interesting!!

Anyway Good luck for tomorrow :-)
  • Hi Heidi,

Seems like you're having a lot of fun - hope your knees are holding up!

We miss you lots at the office, and looking forward to your return, as we still have loads of ads to sell for the November issue!! (tee hee!).

Great to hear your updates every day - where are you positioned in the women's field?

Lots of love,

Neil and Pauline (back home at RW HQ)
    xx

P.S. Been watching BB for you - first eviction tonight - will let you know the result tomorrow!
  • hi heidi,

keep going lass, i'm new to the forum and have just spent the last 20 minutes reading what you are upto, i hope the knees are holding and don't think about the times at this stage, the fact that you are doing it is fantastic, i ran a marathon once and it took me 5 yrs (yes really) to get over it i have the utmost admiration for you.

may you be blessed with nice running weather and the running surfaces kind to your limbs

:-)
  • if you can beat me the next time we race i'll pay for you Ed_m !

• this should be good!

heidi

you are over half way
  • wow i am training for the clarenden way marathon in october and thought my milage was good but you guys on that run are something else how you do it is a real motovator for me and many other runners i am sure good luck i look forward to reading your progress each night hang on in there peter .......