Options

Marathon of Britain - 6 days, 175 miles

Comments

• Options
    absolutely peter!

enough of my griping about the cost. apologies.

i managed to force myself out the door at 8:30 for 10miles in the dusk.
    enjoying my solitary run out of coventry i turned across to come through coombe only to find the mob crew camping on my doorstep.

MOB crew... welcome to my patch :)

i peered in at 9:20ish and apparently the last person was just in.
    would have love to have said hi but a) you all looked a little spaced out and b) i know i'd hate it if i was you!

gave me a nice boost for the second half of my run.

respect to rory & co. for a great looking event... and respect to the hero competitors... i'm so jealous.

ed
  • Options
    Heidi...I'll try to keep it short and sweet..for want of you getting some sleep tonight

I'm new to this running/forum event, but in a nutshell..you are such an inspiration..I dunno where you get your energy from but you are incredible. Neway, keep it up, Im sitting here at almost 11pm feeling tired after a day at work..now you've made me feel really guilty!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Steve(not 80yo!)
  • Options
    You're amazing to be doing what you're doing. Well done!
  • Options
    OMG!! I have just picked up on this story.. good grief.. that is a huge challenge.. well done to everyone involved. I'm a bit confused as to why you are making life harder by sleeping in tents though. Is there a reason for that? I would have thought that it wouldn't be too hard to get a deal with some b&b's at least along the way for those much needed baths and good nights sleep.

This is such a motivational story for all runners.. like other people here I have had a nanosecond of thought to question myself whether I could attempt such a thing. Might think about it.. I haven't even done a marathon yet.

Please can you give us more information on the people who are coming in last each day.. it would be great support for them to know that we're cheering them too. On something like this, for them, time is probably not so important as just finishing each day and still being alive! Also.. their times are probably more akin to most people here!

Anyway.. sorry to ramble on.. but I am seriously impressed by this event and have total respect for everyone involved.. runners and support crew alike.

• Options
    Sorry.. one more thing.. how many people are running the race this year? Is there a maximum/minimum number to make it viable?

Blimey.. I am still amazed.. and inspired too... I have to admit to having been on to the MOB web site this morning to see what it is all about..

So.. £700 to enter.. what about charity sponsorship or other fund-raising.. is that part of it, or is it simply a supreme personal challenge for those involved?

Well done everyone..!!
  • Options
    Good luck for today the longest day, hopefully this year you won't find a new road has appeared from no where!!!

The times this year are amazing. Looking forward to your next report. A huge achievement by everyone.

I speak to paul Taylor each day for a catch up on whats happening and hear the clapping as people come in - fantastic

Keep going - hope the feet are holding up!
  • Options
    Lets hear some more about how the body is coping with the endurance and what you are eating and drinking! Some of us worry about de-hydration on a half-marathon...! Are any of the runners vegetarian? What are they eating en-route?

Keep going.. nearly there...!
  • Options
    Good luck for today guys!! Long day today! I am sure it will go well. If you run out of water there was a really nice man watering his garden last year at about 38 miles who very kindly let us fill our water bottles - maybe he will be there again today!! He was a life saver!!

Take care of yourselves and by the time you read this there will only be 10 more miles to go!! You are all my stars!!

Take care
  • Options
    I am full of admiration for you all. Well done and good luck does'nt seem to be enough. You're putting all us 'runners' to shame. Go get em girl!
  • Options
    Well done to Heidi and all the others dedicated enough to take on such a challenge! I'm in training for the Dublin Marathon and was having a sluggish week but picking up on this story has revitalised me, can't wait to get out running tonight now! So, 38 miles today huh? That seriously is mentalist territory, good luck to one and all!
  • Options
    Actually today's stage is 54 miles - I mentioned 38 because that was where I ran out of water last year and got a refil from a man watering his garden.

I am off to Dublin too although I haven't really done any training for it yet. I am looking forward to it though - it sounds like a reasonably fast course!! Have you done it before?
  • Options
    Blimey! I just clocked this one and wanted to add my congratualtions and accusations of madness to the general pool!

It sounds amazing, but utterly mental.

Hope today went well, and best of luck for the last stretch!

Lucy
  • Options
    Heidi
    Good luck if you see Mev from Plumstead Runners tell him to speed up I've got a tenner on him to complete it in 32 hours
  • Options
    Heidi
    This sounds fantastic! Any chance you could give us an insight into your training schedule when you get back? I'd love to have a go!
    Keep on running!
  • Options
    Heidi,
    Awe inspiring stuff.. Having just completed my first 10k in London over the weekend I thought I was a hero, but this is truly superhuman.

My support and thoughts are with you and the other comepetitors all the way.

Go Heidi.
  • Options
    HelegantHelegant ✭✭✭
    Have only just caught up with this thread.

Very well done Heidi, your attitude is great and your efforts are an inspiration.
  • Options
    Hi from Action on Addiction, the chosen charity for this year's Flame Health Marathon of Britain!

I just wanted to say Congratulations to Heidi and everyone taking part in the Marathon of Britain.

We are proud to be associated with such an amazing event.

To anyone who has been inspired by Heidi's efforts, they can sponsor the
    Action on Addiction team at www.justgiving.com/MOB.

One in three people suffer from an addiction. It is only with vital support of people like the Marathon of Britain runners that we can continue to fund research into new ways to treat and prevent drug, alcohol and nicotine addiction, so that we can help those living with an addiction.

Thanks again to everyone who is running against addiction!!

Good luck with the big '54' mile day Heidi!
  • Options
    is the irony in choice of charity deliberate do you think?
  • Options
    Ed,

Yes - we definitely appreciate the irony! But feel that ultra runners have a great empathy with people who are battling substance addiction.

The Marathon of Britain runners will be experiencing a natural high.

We were chosen as the charity partner by the race director Rory Coleman who had a drink problem which was destroying his life. It was running that ‘saved him’ and helped him get over his alcohol addiction.
    It offered him a new healthy lifestyle.

We are delighted to support Rory and this event - and hope that lots of people will sponsor our runners!!

• Options
    i was thinking about the obsessiveness (i won't say addiction) required for ultra distance :)

the MOB runners didn't look particularly high last night! just knackered.
  • Options
    I bet they did! I saw them off on Sunday at the start and they all looked bright eyed and eager to get going, looking forward to seeing the contrast tomorrow at the finish!!

As someone who had no experience of running events until getting involved with the MOB I certainly have a new respect for the dedication it requires!
  • Options
    Hi there Heidi, just wanted to wish you luck on your epic run (Pauline showed me how to find this thread) and ask if you've had a chance to use the shampoo yet (or are you too busy tending to your blisters to worry about the state of your tresses?) Good luck - I had no idea what an epic thing you were attempting. Lisa Buckingham (who was on the Puma Foursome with you) sends her love too. Take care and come home safely. Best wishes, Lisa
  • Options
    Hi Heidi,

thought of you all yesterday doing the 54 miler - ONLY 10 MILES to go! Good luck today - great pub at the finish!!
  • Options
    hope heidi is ok-we havent had an update
  • Options
    Spoke to a member of the support crew yesterday at approx 5pm and they hadn't had anyone drop out at that stage so fingers crossed - I'm sure she's OK their a tough group of people! - they have to be do to this type of race!
  • Options
    Hope everything is going alright and look forward to hearing the full report!!
  • Options
    I caught up with all these messages yesterday and found it very inspiring. I then checked out the MOB website and can't believe this event even exists, how mad do you have to be ?

The finish is at Notitngham Castle today. Does anyone know the ETA? I live/work in Nottingham and would be great to see them finish.
    well done all participants, although you are all totally mad, but clearly dedicated.

How long will it take to recover from this event? RW, will Heidi get lots of time off?

hope you are ok Heidi as we haven't had an update....
  • Options
    the campsite location at coombe is now under a few inches of water!

hope you're all doing ok.. and enjoying an 'easy' 10miles to the finish.
  • Options
    The fast guys will probably come in around 11.30 and the rest will follow for a couple of hours probably!! It is a great place to finish - even if it is up a hill!!!

If you go down there give them all a huge hug from me - even if they do smell and are sweaty!!!
  • Options
    Hi all,

Heidi has just called the RW offices, and she is well but very, very, very tired. She has just finished the MOB, but could not post last night as she didn't finish until 11pm!

However, she promises to post later this evening, and update everyone on her tremendous triumph!

Well done Heidi!!