Marathon of Britain - 6 days, 175 miles

12346»

Comments

• General stench?
    peeling feet???????????

youre not selling this one sunshine;)
  • Ducati Man,

Well done for entering, you’ll have a full year to curse that decision :-)

Thanks for enquiring as to how we are feeling post-event. I am in rude health, I only suffered one small blister and a bit of soreness in the legs, although I have been very tired. Did a ten mile run on Sunday to shake the legs out and have been for a couple of short runs since. Looking at the MoB website though it would appear that two other competitors are still in hospital. One of them is Selina, so it shows that there isn’t any natural justice in this event!

Heidi: I can’t believe what I have just read. I recall you vowing not only never to do the event again, but also never to run next to a canal ever again, ever, ever. I hope you won’t be needing my navigational skills to get you round :-)

James: Congratulations on the shoes, definite progress.
  • aye lad were tuff up 'ere us norveners don't tha' know, usually run 10 miles over slag heaps in bare feet just before breakfast before going down 't' pit, tuffens the feet up good and proper. you don't know you've got blisters unless you are running on bloody stumps. get your name down for next years event you suvern wussez and meet you on the hills. hope the weather is a little drier!!
  • I don't know what's happening with this forum, I appear to have posted the same message twice. Very weird!

Plodding Hippo: You better believe it!
  • Just put the shoes on. The world is a happy place. Think I'll be out running again this weekend.

Mike - At least I waited until the last day before showing the full extent of my injuries. Now I know that you had a pin hole blister I think the attack was well deserved. Do you remember Pierre's feet? Or Steve's? Now they looked in pain.....

I still wake up sweating thinking bottles of Iodine are after me.....

Heidi - you're already talking about doing it again. Why don't you do the MDS and MOB? I'll sponsor you a fiver....
  • i've done back to back mds and mob and beleive me mob is the hardest, though i really love the deserts nothing like getting out in the good old british countryside on a nice summers day, pah! they even give you a rest day after the longest run on the mds, luxery!!
  • Hospital? Soles of feet peeling off??

• I've just signed up for this for next year. It's a bit early for detailed advice but I reckon that with this thread still going it's as good a time as any to find some useful info.

Any advice on what sort of sleeping bag is required ? Sleeping mats - surely too bulky to carry ? Food - how much do you neded to lug around to comply with their requirement that you carry the enoug for the full 6 days.

The race regulations make them seem a bit like Nazi's - hopefully the organisers are a lot more friendly than these suggest ?
  • Mr Yorkshire Running Man: Fear not, southerner baiting was not diminished in your absence. I’m surprised a big tough northerner such as yourself could not get your bleeding stumps to the start line though :-)

Ducati man: Yep, it certainly isn’t a holiday – but it’s definitely an experience that you’ll remember. Have you paid your deposit yet?

CakeMan: For advice on gear then, I suggest you refer to the forum at www.marathonofbritain.com where most of your possible questions will probably have been answered. I suggest you sign up for the MoBlite to test out your kit and discover how navigationally incompetent you actually are while you still have time to practice.

The idea of Rory and Rich being Nazi’s could not be further from the truth. They are two completely fantastic guys, who really, really want you to succeed in this totally pointless endeavour of human endurance and strangely you’ll not want to disappoint them. The rules in reality are fairly flexible and seem to adjust to the prevailing circumstances. That said, for most of the week every sentence I spoke to Rory during the week ended in “you ba$tard”.
  • Congratulations!

Firstly, the organisers are very friendly so no need to worry! They will feel more like your family at the end of the week! However, be warned - Rory may seem the nicest man ever, but he is also very strict, so don't try and bend the rules! I can remember being lead off to the Cotswolds Conference Centre to write my daily diary, and thought I would take the opportunity to use nice clean flush toilets....Oh no, not allowed - just smelly portaloos for me (Damn that Rory Coleman)!!!

Sleeping bag - light weight as possible. It is worth spending the extra money, as you will be thankful for it when you pack your backpack. Very good piece of advice is, always put your sleeping bag in a plastic bag - if it rains as much as it did this year, you will be thankful for not sleeping in a wet bed!

Sleeping mats - Some people did carry them, I didn't, I missed having a pillow more than a mat!

You get fed very well at breakfast and at dinner, so you just need food for the day. I survived on just carrying sweets and energy bars with me. It depends on how fast you run too, because if you are quick, there is more time to wait around before dinner. There are a few shops on the way that you can duck in for a quick chocolate fix etc.

Hope this helps. If you look on the forum page on www.marathonofbritain.com you can read us all panicking before hand about what stuff to take too!

• Thanks, I've had a look at the forum on their website and it's good to see that I'm not the most disorganised person to think about doing this. I've got a year to get ready but will probably cram it into the last few months as usual.

Some of the details from this years event seem a bit harrowing - I don't think I'll let my wife see some of them or she won't let me do it. I can do blisters but hospital visits don't fit in with my plan.

Anyway - I'd better get off and start training !
  • It's that awefully nice strict nazi ba$tard Mr. Coleman here. I'm such a nice chap really...I've enjoyed reading the Runner's World - Flame Health Marathon of Britain Forum. The whole thing to me feels like a dream ten days on (nightmare for some).

Yogi is recovering and keeping toes and planning next year's campaign as is Selina Coldicott who walked to the hospital from home on just 3.5 pints of blood. (Now they are bonkers).

We're have already got dates of August 13th-19th 2005 for the main event. Entries will be taken later in the week, there are already people entering as it was described the 'Toughest Footrace in the World' some accolade.

If you are after a life changing week of self discovery and are relatively fit with a sense of accomplishment bigger that your commonsense then this is the event for you.

I've ran three miles for two days and feel completely knackered!

Now where's that German uniform...

Rory Coleman
    Race Director
    Flame Health Marathon of Britain
  • well i'll talk to the wife but....
  • what was the mater with selina?

sounds like she ought not to have been doing it if anaemic