Hastings Lions Half Marathon

OK, apologies if anyone has started a thread on this already. I entered this last week using the online thingy here on the site and within a couple of hours I received a nice email from the organisers telling me that details will be sent nearer the time.

Looks like a good preFLM 1/2 and a sensible alternative to Reading for those of us unable to get there. Anyone run it before? I'm hoping it's not too flat as I enjoy the challenge of hills!

Hope I'll get some company from you guys as I'm still very much a novice runner.

Comments

• Hi Redhead, looking at the profile map of the race on there web site, it looks like you have your wish. It seems to go from 18m above sea level to 120m in a very big hurry. It's a bit far for a carless Londonite so good luck and enjoy.
  • Hey Muzzer, you could always get the train. Just think, a lovely day out at the seaside in 1066 country!
  • I've applied and been accepted already - same nice email message. Hoping to do the Tunbridge Wells and Paddock Wood Halves as well.

I see from this months RW mag that a special train service is being laid on from London. So no excuses Muzzer and other Londonites.
  • Hi Scotty, glad you're coming. When are the TW and PW 1/2s? We're hoping to move house down beyond TWells early next year so they'd be good races for me too. Are you doing the Dover 1/2?
  • I've got this on my agenda as part of my build up to Paris on 6th April, although I should be doing a 20 miler that w/e - perhaps I'll just have to jog on for a bit further at the end.

Paddock Wood half is the following Sunday.
  • Just go round half the course again Snoopy!
  • RH: I love the area, spent the last three xmas's in Rye and touring the area. Should be great views and a good challenge.

Just wimped out and sent away for Reading, so good luck. Only a rush of insanity will get me there, but sillier things have happened in the past.
  • Good morning Redhead,

As Snoop says, the PW Half is on 23rd March. The TW Half is the week before Hasting on 23rd Feb. Click Here for the TW Site.
  • I new it was too early in the day for that to work : www.tunbridgewellsharriers.btinternet.co.uk/tw_half_marathon.html
  • Also entered this online and received the confirmation mail.

Very efficient !
  • Nice to get some good feedback from you all entering online.Watch out on our website at www.hastings-half.co.uk for details of (we hope) a special train down from London on the day - subject to Connex not screwing it up for us with engineering works!! If you've never done the race I can promise you a good day out.The atmosphere is great and the crowd support supreme.See you all on the day
  • Hi John, thanks for that. Maybe we can encourage some of the central London brigade to come down if there's a train laid on!
  • If you like hills your in luck! There are plenty at Hastings, and a good stiff sea breeze. A bit of everything really.

Come on down!!
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Think I'll enter this if I get into FLM but also wanted to do Paddock Wood as well - 2 halves in 2 weeks would probably throw the training that close. Hastings seems to be tougher so that'll be better prep for me.

So T Wells seems to be on the same day as the Bramley 20 - great news!
  • OK, so I could do the TW on 23rd Feb, Hastings on 16th March and then Paddock Wood the 23rd March.

Gavo, I'm hoping to do the FLM (fingers crossed) but will do another if not. Do you mean that it's too short a distance for a Sunday long run so close to the event? I just wondered if PW could be used as a training run and just make another day's run the long one. What do you think?

Any advice gratefully received!

Susie
  • Redhead,

Most (if not all) runners favour the 3 week taper between the last 20miler(ish) and the Marathon itself which is why Paddock Wood would not be everyone's choice of the best way to train on the 23 March before the FLM.

Assuming I get into the FLM, I will hopefully manage a 20miler the weekend before Hastings and then a 20miler on 30th March. I only had a 2 week taper before my last marathon and for me the 20miler was a major confidence boost being so close to the event(although arguably I wouldn't be getting the full benefit from it). I suppose it really depends on the quality/quantity of your training through the winter.

Scotty
  • Tunbridge Wells Half Application Form has just gone live on the web-site:

www.tunbridgewellsharriers.btinternet.co.uk/tw_half_marathon_index.html
  • Thanks Scotty,

So PW is a no-no really then unless I don't get in the FLM. However, I do need a 1/2m in February so it's either going to be Dover at the beginning or TW at the end.

Anyone had experience of either of these?
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    Redhead, TW is a good 1/2m, did it last year. The only thing to watch for is a hill that's about 1 - 1.5 miles long (it certainly felt like that last year!) between 6 & 8m. Other than that, the 1st 1/2 is mostly downhill & the 2nd 1/2 mostly flat.
  • I also entered on line and was impressed by the speed of response. My mate who's done several marathons and half marathons scoffed in horror when I told him I'd entered this and told me to watch our for a continuous five miles of hills!!! Can anyone confirm this for me and is it too late to back out!:)-
  • Hi Deb, 'fraid it is quite hilly (that's why I want to do it - sad woman!). Don't even think about backing out, just train extra hard over the winter months - you've got plenty of time!
    Susie
  • Hi PB, I'm still waivering between TW and Dover. Still waiting for anyones comments on Dover.
  • Tim,

Bunged my TW entry in the post at lunch time to instill some discipline during and beyond the Christmas/New Year festivities. Annoyed I missed the Barns Green Half. I was impressed with the excellent coverage in the local rag which I received in the post afterwards. See you at Crowborough - my leg is getting back to normal now.
  • I ran the Hastings Half last year. As I remember: generally traffic-free course, and good crowd support, even though it was a wet day. One long up-hill towards the beginning, then reasonably flat, then a steep down-hill followed by flat seafront finish. The down-hill, in particular, is quite difficult - legs take a bit of a pounding.

Most memorable moment: spectator with a pet fox on a string, which howled when I ran past!
  • Last year I entered Tunbridge Wells, Hastings and Paddock Wood and missed all three with injury. This year "I'll be back" - as someone once said - and aiming to do all three again.

As a local I insist that you all do the Tunbridge Wells 1/2. Yes there is a nasty hill, but lots of lovely countryside. And the start is inches from my front door.

Neil
  • Scotty,

Good to hear you'll be at Crowborough. You must be local to me. Do you know anything about the Dartford 10?

Neil
  • Have run Hastings twice and in a bizare way have thoroughly enjoyed it. Last year actually got a bit of a tan! The crowd support is fantastic and yes there is a very long if fairly steady hill about 4 miles in but the "Chariots of Fire" theme as you start off is such a boost, you can easily (!) do the course.
    See you there.