Options

Monday Session - 11 November

2»

Comments

• Options
    MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Hi all - nice sunny day in London: probably only the second since November began (the rest of the time it has poured with rain constantly).

What: 2.5-3.5 run, depending on whether partner accompanies me or not.
    Why: Persuaded him last week that it would be a good idea if he came with me because 1) he needs to start exercising again and 2) I don't feel safe whilst this rapist is still on the loose. As he hasn't exercised much in over a year I thought I'd better be gentle with him the first few times ;-) Did 20 minutes at a reasonable lick yesterday and he coped with that, so we'll see about extending it to about 30 minutes tonight.
    Last hard: Yesterday (for him, anyway - just a walk in the park to me ...!)
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Tim,

I wouldn't use any adjective for anybody else's pace, as I know that its taken me ages to get to where I am, and that there are plenty of people who are quicker than me out there. So with the risk of sounding all new agey - 'its all about our own individual journeys'. :-)

Urrgh pass the sick bucket! Seriously though one of the great things about this forum and running in general is that its so supportive and encouraging irrespective of peoples times.
  • Options
    This is probably another thread - but I couldn't agree more about the "its all about our own individual journeys". Most of the joy of running for me is, like PB, being out in the fresh air, running in the woods. Fast times are a nice to have but at the end of the day I'd settle for still being able to run when I'm 70.
  • Options
    Totally agree, but any road up had a nice easy run at lunch and there was lots of people out and about, which made it interesting in a kind of dodge the tourist/businessperson way
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening all!

Well done Parky, excellent time. I just love PB's. I'm obviously still high on my own 1/2M PB.

Anyway today: complete rest.
    Why: ran 10 miles yesterday after doing a 1/2M on Saturday and then went swimming in the afternoon, doing 50 x 25m continuous front crawl. So today I'm tired!
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Friday.

• Options
    Hi.

Have only had one injury since I have been running last 4 years or so, and now Im so fed up with having 2 weeks of flu, then getting back to running last weekend and somehow a nasty pain in left ankle turned up, that seemed to clear up last thursday and now ive the same pain in right ankle and on the same night!

What: Reduced to bed allday
    Why: Ankle pain
    Last Hard: Yesterday 10 miles in windy/rain conditions
    Last Rest: Sat and today.

Frustrated Speedie.
  • Options
    What: rest
    Why: had planned to go swimming but couldn't quite work up the motivation...
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: last Mon
  • Options
    What: 6 miles with the club. It's quite fast, and tonight was the fastest I've ever run it :)
    Why: That's Monday nights for ya!
    Last hard: Tonight
    Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    3 miles gently
    feel much better when Im not hungover
    Should have done speedwork tho
  • Options
    What
    £ miler recovery run. Apparently my legs DO work and my guts don't samba on a Mondy. felt great, strong, solid, plenty in the tank. What the H*LL went wrong yesterday?
  • Options
    Well done Parky, I'm in awe, I know my journey's different to yours but let's just say you're gonna get there quicker!

Hilly, I think you're mad to have a day like yesterday after setting a 1/2m PB! MM, I did race Sat, posted under Sat training thread, nothing noteworthy about my performance but the experience was fantastic.

What: Another near-death experience at the club. 5 * long intervals, walk recovery.
    Why: that's what they do every other week, otherwise it's hillreps which I prefer.
    Definitely hadn't recovered from Sat as I started running out of steam on the 3rd lap, and had to force myself to complete the session.
    Especially considering my lacklustre performance, both amazed and simultaneously horrified to find the coach promoted me to the fast group as of next week - they do 6 of these and 10 hill reps, as if it wasn't bad enough already.

Does anyone else find they need more than one easy day between hard sessions? Sat race was an hour at 92% HR, but I was really struggling tonight despite yesterday being dead easy. I feel it's only worthwhile doing these sessions if I'm fresh enough, but that seems to mean nothing too hard at the weekends at present. Or is it just a case of getting used to it?
  • Options
    Grr. Pain recurred - midly but in a localised fashion - so I was left to walk home after only about 500 metres. I'm taking no chances. I suspect it may be my shoes - the insoles have rather generous arch support for a 'neutral' shoe and when I removed them later for a very short jog/walk to the shops it seemed less painful.. hmm.
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Laura,
    yes I'm silly to work so hard the day after a hard race, but that's me!!

Anyway to answer your question, I normally find the day after a hard session is easier than 48hrs after. So if I've raced on Sunday then Tuesday will be the day I feel tired and lacklustre. So although I went out yesterday after a race, today I feel tired and have decided to use this as my rest day for the week. Tomorrow I should be back to normal and able to run tempo with speed on Thursday.

I find for obvious reasons that recovery from hard races takes longer than recovery from hard training. That's most probably why you struggled tonight.

Congratulations on your promotion!!
  • Options
    DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Evening all.
    Congrats to Parky on the peebee.

What : 3 mile slow (25mins)
    Why : easy recovery after yesterdays 16.5 miler.
    Last hard : Sunday
    Last Rest : Thursday

• Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Good result Parky - when do you think you'll beat 60 minutes? Have you beaten 1:20 yet for a 1/2 marathon?
  • Options
    very slow 5km eq. on xtrainer - 29 mins - lame, but i knocked over a glass - tried to type bled a lot

about to try another 5km equiv. and see if i can blast that time into space
  • Options
    Now aching.....

Sympathy gratefully received...
  • Options
    whipped time second 5k 22.47 - if onyl i could run like that - is there a cross trainer marathon