The Duchy Marathon 2005

Comments

• Printed the form off . . always wanted to do this one, and since I can't get down next weekend for the Cornish . . . and since I can't think of a reason why not . .

. . now where's my pen?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    the things you'll do for a pasty, Rich!

• I know Shades, I'm just so cheap . .

. . form's in the post now :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    are you doing Taunton too, Rich?

• quite possibly Shades . . and then FLM, if I'm in, will be number 40 . .

. . . then after that either Three Forts or Neolithic as training for Dartmoor Discovery . .
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    both will be good training for DD.

I don't have to talk you into doing DD this year do I?

• nope - form's in the post for that as well :)

trouble with Three Forts and Neolithic is that I think they both might be on the same day . . so it's one or the other ..
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Neolithic is first Bank Holiday sunday in May, I will let you know about Three Forts
  • Welcome aboard, Rich. Remember to say hello as you power past my crocked self at 23 miles, as per usual ...

• Thanks Muttley - I'll do my best :)

According to the RW Events section, that's when Three Forts is on too Shades . . shame about the lack of co-ordination . .
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've done Neolithic a few times, absolutely hate it. But lots of peeps love it. Never done 3 Forts.
  • Just entered for this. I like the sound of the pasties!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I do both of the marathons in Cornwall each year. The pasties are an important factor in my choice of races.

You get a cooked brekkie after the Steyning Stinger!
  • I also like the sound of the pasties. I like the act of consuming them even more!

• I've registered for a pastie . . spose I'll have to run 26.2 first though eh?
  • Just filled out the entry form.It looks like I'm about to attempt my first marathon! Better start upping the mileage and increase the distance on those long runs.
    And i don't even like pasties!!
    However after 26+ miles I might be able to force one down.
  • PV?
    THAT brings back memories! !

(I lived in Cornwall for 10 years-and would probably be living there quite happily now,if hubby,now ex,hadn't decided we must move so that he could make his fortune!)
  • Done both the Duchy & the Cornish several times on all the different routes, being a local. Cornish is now the "toughie", run by East Cornwall Harriers. Last year's pastie back to standard, after previous year's poor effort. This year's race on Nov.20. 2 lap Duchy a good last long training run before FLM & reasonably flat (for Cornwall). How do I get a picture logo?
  • Question: would entering the Duchy and starting training now from a moderately fit and love runnning but never run a marathon starting point be completely insane?
  • Hi Melissa,
    I think the problem could be that you may try and cram too much intense training into such a short time. Have you thought about the 20m option this may be better for you and then you can tackle another marathon when better prepared.However don't let me put you off If you are reasonably fit and pace yourself sensibly I don't see why you can't complete a marathon.
    All the best in whatever you decide.
    Cheers G.R
  • Poos - click on My Profile on the left hand side of this screen and then click on Change Your Face, following the instructions that then come up. If I can do it, anyone can!!!

Definitely going to do either the 20 or the full - won't make my decision until much nearer the time as I assess how my training has been going.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Dunnarunner - are you doing FLM too?
  • Started the training this weekend .. owch christmas pudding does not go with Marathon running. Still here's hoping we don't have the force 8 gale in our faces like last year (not bad at 6 miles but hurt at 18 !!) only time i've run when my nose has been closer to the ground than my knees!!
    Melissa , why not aim for the Cornish Marathon in November as your first . this would give you a much shallower training curve , if you were going to do the Duchy you would need to be upto 13 miles by now since we only have about 9 weeks left..
  • Melissa
    It alll depends if you want a particular time. I have not started my marathon training yet due to sickness bugs, a bad back and too much eating at Christmas. But I will do the Duchy although I will just plod around. I think it all depends on your goal. I have done 5 marathons now although its amazing I ever did a second after my suicidal first. I did my first marathon on only 12 weeks of running experience (jogging actually!) and had only ever done one long run of 15 miles. Needless to say it took me 5 hours 1 minute, I had to walk the last 5 miles and it put me off running for at least 6 weeks, I wouldn't wish anyone that experience. However saying that, if you are reasonably fit and determind may be you should give it ago theres still 8 weeks.
    Good luck
  • Melissa,
    Most of the advice offered above is correct, and it really does depend on what your goal on the day would be, and how far your longest run has been very recently.
    Are you looking to run/jog all the way and not worry whether it takes you 5 hours plus, and have to walk the last few miles.
    You just wouldnt enjoy that and it may well put you off attempting another one.
    Allowing for a 2 week easing down/taper period, you only have 7 weeks of full training left, which is no where near enough to be able to run 26 miles comfortably.
    A possible alternative would be to build your mileage up over the next 6 weeks to enable you to run the 20 mile race on that day comfortably,and enjoy the experience, and use it as another long training run for the Taunton Marathon on April 3rd.
    You should then be ok to do your last long run i.e. 20-22miles, the following weekend..March 20th, followed by a 2 week taper down prior to Taunton.
    Whatever you decide,good luck.
    Pete.
  • Thanks so much everyone. It sounds like 'just' doing the 20 miles is the way forward, and then going for Taunton or perhaps Cornwall in November. I would hope to run/jog the whole way and finish in under 4 1/2 hours, although the wind that you all mention sounds fairly scarey. I am mainly a rower, so am used to the hard training, but the switch to running will be tough. I will hope to see you all there!
  • Lurking lurking
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • KessmanKessman ✭✭✭
    Good to see the thread as come to life.
    Tubs,i hear you've been winding up the Newquay boys,scalp hunting !!!LOL
    Melissa,don't know how serious you are about a spring marathon? Duchy and Taunton will be lonely on 2nd laps.My advice would be to build base miles,do Taunton 1/2 and races from 10k to 1/2mar through the summer and aim for a flatter and bigger marathon Cardiff oct 3rd or Abingdon oct 17th.Best of luck with what ever you decide.