Options

The Duchy Marathon 2005

Comments

• Options
    Another option for you Melissa is Dartmoor Vale Marathon (Newton Abbot) on 19 June.

Yes Shades I'm doing FLM, so the 20 mile option is the sensible one, but since when have I ever been sensible about my running!
  • Options
    I'm trying to convince myself to be sensible and'just'do 20miler ready for Lochaber-but it's difficult to restrain myself with a marathon running at the same time . . .
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    goslo - there's 6 weeks between Duchy and Lochaber. Long way to travel just to run a 20 miler..........
  • Options
    Me ? winding people up ??? never !! perhaps Newquay are looking over their shoulders and getting worried ???? who knows !
    good luck melissa what ever you decide , remember the marathon itself is easy compared to the training and if you get to the start line fit and well , you are already 3/4 of the way there !
  • Options

Inside information from Newquay is that they are very worried about the threat from the "green and white army" down West.
    Rumour has it,that their commander-in-chief, the "appy ayle arrier" has "filled out" so much over the festive period, that after a very quick opening sprint to the front of the field, there will be no room for anyone to overtake him.
  • Options
    Actually pete there is quite alot of truth in that remark except i don't know if i could manage the sprint to the front !! If Hayle had to rely on my athletic abilities I think we'd have given up by now .. don't you ? i'm going for the "lie on my side and roll down baripper hill" tactic on sunday , may be able to take out a few runners on the way !! I'll keep my eyes open for black shirts !
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Ooooh, saucer of milk for runnerpete!

Oh dear ... training has been badly set back by delays. Gave blood, then went down with a bug kindly donated by Muttley Jnr. Yet to get back into it properly. And how many weeks left now? <gulp> I might have to settle for the 20. We'll see closer to the date.

I see online entry is up - anyone know if we can still enter on the day?

Melissa - I can't add anything to the advice given above, except to say that in my experience the marathon is twice the distance of the 20-miler. Feels that way at any rate. Never underestimate those last 6 miles and opt for the 20 if you're in doubt.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    And the ton - wahey!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Oi flr! <humpf>
  • Options
    sorry babe

my eye honed in on the word "pasty"

I take it it's a cornish one?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    There is no other type. Accept no substitute. Traditional filling only.

Whoever dreamt up these poncey "feta cheese and spinach" type abominations ought to be put inside a pasty himself.
  • Options
    Melissa

Agree with Muttley. I ran my first marathon last October, and with plenty of training, the first 20 felt good whilst the last 6 was serious hard going.

I am aiming for the Taunton marathon and like goslo will go for the 20 mile long-run option. Hoe many will go for this ompared with the full monty marathon?
  • Options
    do it!! you can say you have done the most s.westerly marathon in britain
  • Options
    Aren't you forgetting Tresco, phil?
  • Options

How's everyones training going?
  • Options
    Did my first long run last Sunday, a hilly 15 miles or so. I found it tough and I am now thinking how can I do a marathon?
  • Options
    Hi Gastroplod,
    There's nothing like those long runs to zapp your confidence. It's been very windy around these parts over the last couple of weeks,It definately makes things a bit tougher. I'm not too concerned about distance at the moment just trying to get a few 2-3 hour runs in. It's all fairly time consuming also main problem is trying to stay injury free what with the increased mileage.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Back on track, more or less. Time now well passed since bloodletting and bug, so heart rate back to normal and mileage being increased. Still pondering whether to do 20 or 26.2 - I'll see how the long slow plods stack up. And how the races go, got a 10K and two half-maras lined up before the Duchy.

Stick with it Gastroplod. There's always the 20 if you don't feel up to the full distance, and there's no law that says you're only a real runner if you do marathons. But anyway, if you're on 15 or so now you're doing well.
  • Options
    Especially a *hilly* 15 miles-you'll be fine Gastroplod
  • Options
    Thanks for the confidence boost Mutley and goslo. As Goldrush said its all very time consuming, which is my biggest problem. I am hoping to do another long run early tomorrow morning. If I get up early enough I hope to do about 2 1/2 hours although not as hilly as last week! I just hope we don't have snow, or my plans will be scuppered!
    Keep on with the training everyone.
  • Options
    OsyOsy ✭✭✭
    What is the Time Limit for the Duchy Marathon please?
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Gastroplod:
    If you think it's time consuming, look at it this way - we spend less time on our training than many spend sitting on their ar$es watching soaps (or footie on the box). Or shopping. Or propping up the bar. That's what I used to tell the missus!

Another approach to the long runs is to alternate them. I do a standard 13-mile route on Sundays, alternating it every other week with a longer one. I think the benefit is about the same, and helps avoid fatigue as every Sunday run gets gradually longer and longer.

Did 18-odd miles in 2:35 this morning, in perfect running weather - cold, still and sunny. I now have all afternoon at work to enjoy the sensation of rigour mortis setting into my legs.
  • Options
    Hi everyone

This will be my marathon debut as well, at the age of 18. Did a 15 miler this morning, and will increase this every week.

I can't wait for this one, I like pasties!
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, Otley. That's a long way to travel to do your maiden marathon - you really must like pasties!

PS - There's a West Cornwall Pasty Co kiosk at Leeds railway station, if I'm not mistaken. Sizes are skimpy compared to what you get in God's own land, but apart from that they're pretty much kosher.
  • Options
    OsyOsy ✭✭✭
    All very well talking about pasty, I love them as much as anyone, but does anyone know if there is a time limit, and what that is, for completing this Marathon, please.
  • Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Don't know, Osy. I would have said if I did :-)
  • Options
    Osy,
    As far as I am aware ,there is no time limit.You just tell them that you will be finishing "dreckly" and the timekeepers will be there waiting for you.
    The time of last finisher last year was 5hrs 42 mins.
    Anything different, and i.ll post again later .
  • Options
    "dreckly" That brings back memories ((0:

Can't wait to get back to Cornwall again (0: