Chi Running

Comments

• Just to announce the Chi Running workshop in Wales on 4th Nov is definitely going ahead and there are 4 places left if anyone is interested in coming along. It promises to be a good day.
  • Thanks emma - north wales is ab it far from me (SE england) but I'll e mail her with a few questions. I went out yesterday focusing on the 'one leg balance' and must admit disn't have hardly any problem. I think I got my leaning wrong so have now ordered the DVD to try and observe it properly. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Just popping by to say thanks to Emma for organising this fantastic event.

And to Katherina for her superb coaching.

I can't wait for an update day next year.

It was so nice to meet everyone and to make new friends. All the best to you all x
  • Hi everyone

For anyone who missed the November Chi Running workshop, Catherina has just informed me she will be over here in the uk again in April and running a workshop in London.... If you are interested contact her direct...

Love
    Emma

----

Firstly may I wish you and yours a very happy and prosperous new year.

During 2006, I experienced huge interest in ChiRunning from the UK. In fact, many of you made it over to Dublin to take part in one of my ChiRunning workshops. I hope that you are getting on well in mastering the ChiRunning technique.

Others could not make it to Dublin for various reasons. Therefore, I will be conducting an intensive one day workshop in London on Saturday April 14th next. I have yet to finalise a venue as I am considering a number of suitable locations at the moment.

The cost of the workshop will be £110 pounds sterling (this may increase slightly if the rental cost for the venue is above what I am conservatively budgeting).

If you are DEFINITELY interested in booking a place or if you know someone who wants to book a place on this workshop, please let me know as soon as possible. Places will be very limited and will be guaranteed on a first come first served basis.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes

Catherina McKiernan
    Certified ChiRunning Instructor
    Tel 00353 87 2100013
    web www.runcatherina.com, www.chirunning.com.
    email chirunning at eircom dot net

• SivSiv ✭✭✭
    BOING for LizzyB
  • I am kind of interested in the April workshop.

Would anyone who went to the November one be able to post a review/report here? even a few brief words would be useful.

Thanks.
  • Having just started running I am keen to learn more on the subject. I have ordered the book on this and am waiting on amazon to deliver it (could be another week or two). From what I hace read on the web it looks interesting and as I am in london it would be easy to get to. I was wondering if people would be so kind to give me their views on:

Is this course suitable for a beginner or do you need to have some experience and technical understanding for this course?

Would it make any difference to my running as a beginner? My thinking is that if I want to run differently then the sooner I get into a new style then the more likely it is to stick and become normal. Is that true?
  • Hi Simon

Yes the course is suitable for beginners - like you say getting good habits early is great. You don't have to have read the book either as catherina explains it all. Its useful to have the book at home of course for memory jogging and more depth.

Brio,
    I organised the November course and as noone else has responded to your request. I would like to say it was fantastic, we all got to be videoed in our own running stlye and have it analysed as to where we needed to make changes, this i found the most useful. Also Catherina went through all the basic form, warm ups, etc from the book - it was very comprensive and we got to try it all out together round the track. It is a powerful technique and noticably makes a difference to how it feels to run.

You might think I am biased so feel free anyone else to chip in.

Look at catherinas site for more details of what she covers www.runcatherina.com

Love
    Emma
  • Just said to my GF that I was thinking about doing this course. She turned to me asking you do realise what's happening that day don't you?

Ermm........Oh yes it's the due date for my firstborn son. Guess that's a no then.

Ha Ha. I'm such a numbnuts sometimes.
  • i have just got the book and wouldnt mind going on the workshop, only thing is am awaying doing the Paris Marathon that weekend. If you book any other dates, please let me know.

ta
  • HI everyone,

I just got a message from Catherina.....

I will be doing another workshop in London on April 28th. THis is because April 14th is now booked out completely!!

So if you didn't sign up and want to you have another chance. Contact catherina direct from her website www.runcatherina.com

Love
    Emma
  • Dear Emma

I have just tried to book on to the workshop - I hope I hear back from Catherina soon as am very keen to learn this method of running. I missed your workshop in Wales.

I haven't been out running on the road since Sept last year - the year before I had injuries and am a bit nervous to get them again.

did you find that the workshop helped your running?

I would like to get back into road running and do a few races this year - I am currently just doing treadmill stuff and am very slow!

MF
  • Hi MF

Yes it did, I have stopped getting back ache and I think my posture is a lot better. I am working on correcting my pronation and I think doing well - its only when i get tired now that my feet seem to go outwards. I am a relative newbie to running and very slow too, but I do feel the chi running technique and what I have learnt on the workshop has been really useful, my warm ups and warm downs seem to be more effective too.

I can't speak for anyone else's progression since the workshop but I found it really worth it.

Love
    Emma

Love
    Emma
  • Boing

News is that not only is the 14th April in London booked up, but so is 28th April. But Catherina is thinking of an extra one in May, no date yet though,

As Europe and the US have different systems for DVDs, does the Chi Running DVD work ok in the UK or do you have to specify with the order, or something else?
  • And another question: are there really no UK-based instructors? There aren't any listed on the website.
  • Hi Eva

I know the DVD's Catherina had were ok for over here, don't know any more than that about the DVD's - you could find out on the chirunning.com site.

As far as I was able to establish when arranging a chi running workshop over here, it is right there are no UK based instructors, Hence I approached Catherina to see if she would be able to run a workshop over here.

Love
    Emma
  • Hi all

I can confirm that the DVDs do work over here

Can I also say that I'm doing an instructors course in June over in Ireland, so all being well, there will be an instructor in the UK from the summer!

Hi Emma :0)
  • Hi Sue! :-)

Thats great about you doing the trainers course! Fantastic news! Expecting lots of workshops from you then in the latter part of the year.... keep me posted!

Love
    Emma
  • I will!

And yes, I would hope to be doing lots of workshops - I'm quite excited really.
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Sue - pleased to hear you're doing the instructor's course. How about coming over to Paris one weekend? I'm doing Catherina's April 28 workshop but I'd love to do one closer to home too and there's a growing band of us here who would be pleased to try and spread the word in France and Belgium. Best of luck.
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    And Eva - the DVD works fine on my French computer and my OH's British DVD player.
  • Thanks for info on the DVD - will order one.

Sue:
    I was also thinking of doing the June instructors' course in Dublin though I haven't booked yet. Hopefully there'll be enough demand to keep all the new instructors busy! Where are you based? I'm N London/S Herts. Are you staying at the hotel where the course is being held?
  • Hi Eva

I'm in Wales, and yes, I think there will be plenty of demand for instructors (I already have people queuing up!). I've not booked the hotel yet nor the flights - I'll get onto that on payday I think.

It would be lovely to meet you in Dublin - have you met Catherina? She's so lovely.
  • Oh Chouetten nothing would please me more than to come to Paris - I love that city!
  • Hello people,

I've not been back to running (except for 3 or 4 tentative/failed recovery runs)since I injured my groin last March.

As I've been playing tai chi for the last 2 years & have found it most useful in many ways, not least in getting me to the stage where I now feel like I want to have another crack at running.

I got a copy of the chirunning book on Monday & I'm just over halfway through (though I haven't tried any of the exercises yet)

Is it worth getting the DVD too?
    The course would be a bit out of my price range at the moment.

What would people say is the most noticable diference with chirunning compared to conventional/power running?
  • Hi Sol

It's nice that you are now able to think about getting back to running - the last year must have been so frustrating for you.

Yes, I think the DVD is worth it - at least you can see what is being explained in the book. Another useful thing is to try to get someone to video you running so that you can see for yourself, your gait and position etc.

I think the most noticable difference with chirunning is the relaxed easy tempo. Bodysensing is important and spending time thinking about your form pays dividends in the long run.

When you can afford it, it's worth doing a workshop with an instructor.

Good luck with it, and pop back and let us know how you're getting on.
  • Thanks Sue,

Is it worth getting a metronome too?
  • I like the running up a hill sideways. Sounds mad but works a treat!!
  • Yes, Sol, get yourself a metronome. When I did the workshop last year it became evident that my pace changes. I got myself a metronome and although my pace was still changing, I worked on concentrating on my pace and had the most enjoyable 5 mile run I'd ever had!

Unfortunately, the next day I fell and fractured my foot, so I've not had a chance to use it since. Having said that, when I start again, I shall be using the metronome from the start even when walking.
  • Right, decided that I'm going out for my 1st attempt at chirunning tomorrow morning (on grass around local park). I'll probably look like a 'nana - but nothing unusual there.

I'm also going to get a metronome & just missed out on the chirunning DVD on e-bay for £8 - pooh! Still better luck next time.