Chi Running

Comments

• Well - I really enjoyed that.

Totally shocked at just how un-fit I've become in 12 months. But that aside, it was great to be out plodding again.

I found it a lot more difficult than I imagined. I ended the session with a slight ache in my lower back, which I guess means I was leaning forward at the waist.

Best of all though - no niggles from my groin (the reason for my 12 mnth lay-off)

• Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    Sol

I have been ChiRunning for a good few months now - the lower back /abs twinges are something I got early on - you are probably right in that you may well be bending at the waist instead of from the ankles as I did this too.

I found the best focus on the run to avoid this is joining the dots on your column, both before your run (as described in Danny's book) and also during. I still ocassionally slouch at the waist and find the word "column" is now enough to sort me out and correct my form and immediately I feel as if I am running quicker and easier with no extra effort
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Just heard Catherina is organising a third ChiRunning workshop in London on Saturday May 12 (in addition to April 14 and 28).

Sol - good to hear you're back running again. I'm sure it will all feel much easier in a week or two.
  • Hi all I hope the thread is still active

I am interested in this too and I am trying to source a DVD (amazon are providing the book) Do you order the DVD from the American site or from Catherine in Ireland?
  • You get a good deal if you order a package from America, they don't take long to deliver either, Good luck with it
  • Both Book and DVD ordered

Heres to a new beginning. It all sounds like hard work leaning forward and short high cadence stride - Daunting
  • Ali BongoAli Bongo ✭✭✭
    Hi CT

Danny Dreyer likens it to driving a car and he is spot on - the first Chiruns I did felt pretty weird and I found myself wondering how long I could hold my form for on a long run. Suffice to say it gradually comes and you can adopt different focuses on different runs and let the rest of the body go on to auto-pilot after a while. You will always lapse a little on occasions when you are tired but that is natural and it is what the focuses are for - to pull you back in to the here and now.

Best of luck - it worked for me! no knee pain for months now!
  • I have the book what Ive read so far makes sense any idea how I book one of the training days?
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Goldbeetle

email Catherina McKiernan at chirunning@eircom.net

or go to the web site:
    www.chirunning.com
  • right just done that

what happens at one of these events is it worth the effort? I have quite a way to travel
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    She rattles through the more practical contents of the book, spending plenty of time on teaching and practising each focus. There was about a two-mile run when I did it and a couple of 50m dashes in a car-park.
  • MilliSpeed is it worth the time and money?
  • I have emailed Her twice and had ne reply????
  • well i cant do the training day

the only day she has left is the same day as my neices wedding

oh well next time
  • After the summer there should be more workshops available. I've applied to do the instructors course as has someone else on the forums (can't remember who). So watch this space as they say.
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    Goldbeetle,

I travelled from Surrey to Dublin by train and boat. The fast boat I was booked on was cancelled and the next slow one was 11 hours later so I arrived in Dublin shortly before 7 am instead of at 6 pm. Despite that it was definitely worth the time and the money.

You can't change a lifetime's habits in a day but you can get the conviction (and a demonstration) that it's possible, the encouragement of hearing that it's worked for others (Caterina relates that she's been injury-free since taking up ChiRunning but was constantly injured before) and personal assistance in getting it right.
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    Cabletoe,

I also had difficulty e-mailing Catarina, but she will eventually reply. Perhaps someone else who's done the course can remember whether she encouraged us to phone her. I rather recollect that she did.

• I would love to get to a demo - I have had an email from Catherine I will try to make the nextt workshop I can I have to make some life readjustments
  • ok my progress so far
    Ive read most of the book and very good it is too.
    Although Iseem to struggle with the lean forward and seem to be too tight in the shoulders
    My main fear is that Im not foot striking correctly Im wearing a pair of clunky Asics Cumulus and although comfy are quite high and built up in the heal
    What shoes are reccomended for chirunning?
  • Goldbeetle - I'm told that Asic Munzuno is popular with midfoot runners, but I don't know. I run in Nike Frees - I did over 500 miles last year in them including a couple or so of HMs. I am looking for something with a little more cushioning at the moment - I fractured my foot a couple of months ago and want something that's going to give me a little more support while I build up my running again.

As for the lean, it's a good idea to practice that in front of a wall or similar. Stand about a foot away and let your body fall forward - the wall will stop you landing on your nose so you can relax into it. Before practicing the lean check your posture (join the dots). Also, if you can get to a clean (dog poo free) grassy area or a beach take your shoes off and run. You are likely to find that you'll naturally land mid foot (watch children run they do this naturally), this'll give you a feel for it. It may mean that you need to concsiously do this for a while after years of heel striking or pushing off with your toes. When you go to get some shoes then at least when you try them out, you'll know what to look for.
  • lean and pelvis is the issue for me. I find the bungee visualisation gets me bending at the waist? how can I stop that, ie keep the dots aligned?
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Did anyone go to the London workshop with Catherina on Saturday 14th? What did you think?
  • C'mon, I'd like to know too, as I'm doing her course on 12th May.

Anyone else doing 12/5?
  • SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the boing Eva! I'm doing April 28.
  • I also am going to the 12/5 one
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [pads in looking interested]

started reading the book on the train this morning. I nodded a lot. In agreement, not fatigue.
  • Hope you're going to report back, Chouette. See you on 12th Cabletow. Catherina said it's in Twickenham but don't know where or when yet. Anybody know?

• SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Certainly will, Eva.

The venue for April 28 is the Dance Studio at St Mary's College, Twickenham.

This sitehttp://www.smuc.ac.uk/Contact/index.htm

should help.
  • So, I am a natural midfoot striker according to my podiatrist. The ChiRunning style should suit me. What next?