Options

Chi Running

Comments

• Options
    Use it

thank you Chouette
  • Options
    chouette Im at the 28th

funny my dautgher has been accepted this year to study socieology at St.marys
  • Options
    Feels good for speed work but a bit of a struggle when running easy. Is this because as a midfoot striker anyway I don't need to 'think' about the lean?
  • Options
    Chouette, Goldbeetle: I've been re-assigned to 28/4 as a space became available, so see you Saturday!
  • Options
    EVA a forum day out 3 so far

are we expecting some from info Catherina I was told that she would email me nearer the time couldnt get much nearer than this
  • Options
    I am going on May 12th can you guys write a wee report on what you thought about it?
  • Options
    right got my instructions looking forward to it now Catherina says theres a couple of spaces available if anyone fancies the 28th April thats this saturday coming

Cabletow will let you know all about it
  • Options
    IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    I've just ordered the book.Looking forward to trying it.I've just started running again after about 10 months out.I feel like Im running very slow despite feeling like Im putting in lots of effort.Im sure its my running style thats causing it.I feel like Im heavy footed.Do you think this will help?

Also I've got slight shin splints.Do you think I can start training in this method straight away despite this?

Ian.
  • Options
    As far as I am concerned Ian you are in an ideal place to start learning this as the ideal way to do this is to start slow and short and of course after an injury lay off for ten months that same principle applies.

also it is the best chance to avoid injuring yourself again
  • Options
    I am going on May 12th can you guys write a wee report on what you thought about it?
  • Options
    Oops I dont know how that happened
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o/

havin' a bit of trouble with Fig. 13 on page 67. My boobs are clearly bigger than hers...
  • Options
    I've just ordered the book.

Looking forward to hearing what everybody thought of the session today.
  • Options
    Good to meet Chouette and Goldbeetle on Saturday. The whole day, except for when we had lunch and looked at the videos of us running, was spent on the track doing exercises and running. I'm glad we were outdoors on such a nice day, though I expected some classroom time, learning theory, and so no opportunity to take notes on what Catherina was saying, but maybe that's just the way I like to learn.

The exercises we did as far as I can remember are all from the book, but the reason to go on a course like this is to have an expert look at what you're doing and comment, adjust and perfect, especially as a lot of it is down to fractions of inches, and is stuff we are not necessarily aware of our bodies doing or not doing. Catherina provided that, and it was good that there were only eight of us so we got plenty of individual attention, but I'd have liked even more reassurance just to be certain that I was doing it right, especially when actually running.

The video of us running was taken first thing. It's good to see a before, but I'd have liked to have seen an after as well, and have that compared with the before and commented on, so we can go away with something to work on.

Couple of other things I didn't realise before I went: you might as well turn up in running gear as you'll need to be in it straight away, though there are changing rooms; lunch - soup, sandwiches, rolls, water, OJ, tea and coffee - was provided and included in the price.

What do the others think?
  • Options
    Hmm

Oh great - videos - bang goes the runner that lives in my mind, you know the one that runs just like Haille gabrisalasse, I might get to meet the slow fat bloke who always gets in the way between the sun and I when I catch sight of where my shadow should be.
  • Options
    Thanks for such an honest and concise report Eva.

Do you feel you have learned alot from the course and do you think it will help you with your running?
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Just back from the UK. Had a great day on Saturday and would definitely recommend this course to anyone interested in Chi Running.

Not a great deal I can add to Eva's excellent account. Yes, it would have been useful to see an "after" video. I think Catherina did say at the start of the day that there would be one so I guess we just ran out of time. Perhaps you 12 May guys will have more luck.

I like to make notes too and tried to jot down the main points on the train back to London. I do feel I've now memorised the order of things to do to check posture, whereas before I had to keep looking them up in the book.
  • Options
    SivSiv ✭✭✭
    Reading back over this page...

Ian - there's also a Chi Walking book, which may be a good place to start if you're comiing back from injury. Someone else on the course was saying it's worthwhile getting that book too.

Neil - as I understand it midfoot striking is no guarantee you will lean correctly. You may be leaning from the waist or the hips whereas you need to lean from the ankles. One thing that surprised me slightly on the course was that when you're running slowly you hardly need to lean at all, just maintain good posture.
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    It was nice to meet you both Eva and Chouette
    I was surprised how awful I look when I run on the video no wonder my shoulders and calfs ache all the time
    It was interesting how much emphasis was put on pelvic alignment,in the book there is a little bit about this but you realize its vital to the whole movement
    I went home and re-read all the chapters on posture and getting your back straight
    I think its worth the effort to have the training course probably sooner rather than later as you coud develop bad habits and they could be harder to "unlearn"
  • Options
    goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    Ian if you are chi runing correctly you should feel like you are flowing along with very little effort
    There should be very little muscular activity and your legs shoud remain loose all the time the only time your calf should be tense is the fracion of a second it is taking your weight as your foot hits the ground
  • Options
    I have the Chi Running book and have been using the techniques with some success for about a month. I have to say I am really impressed with the concepts in the book and can see myself practicing these for years to come.
    I have a question about cadence - the book mentions 85 to 90 steps per minute which seems quite a slow stride rate whereas POSE seems to have a minimum of 180 steps per minute.
    I would be interested to know what people on here use, there is big difference between the two methods.
    Thanks to anyone who can help!
  • Options
    Golly-none at all with regard to cadence. In the book Danny takes about 85-90 strides with the right foot so 170-180 steps a minute. I don't have the book to hand or I'd tell you the page...
  • Options
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-Qo_N2LGEI

apart from the low cadence, no lean, heel striking in front of the centre of gravity..anything else wrong????
  • Options
    Mykey the reference for cadence is Page 81 - half way down "no of strides per minute each leg takes"
  • Options
    Mykey - thanks for the reply. The 85-90 steps per minute with the right foot makes sense and equates with the cadence suggested from POSE. I manage 160 bpm okay but any higher and I struggle to get my breathing to keep up. I think maybe my effort levels are too high and I need to read a number of the techniques more closely, I know there is a section in the book about breathing and I will practice those techniques.

Can't really help with your youtube clip, I'm sure there are people with muhc more experience than me who could look at it.
  • Options
    Golly

If the cadence seems to high it means your stride length is too long.
  • Options
    Thanks Cabletow. Will reduce stride length until 180 strides per minute becomes easier, then start thinking about lean.

One of the great principles in the book in my opinion in that the process is the goal, and any improvement in any part of the process will lead to benefits.

I think Chi Running is a really good concept but it'll take a long time, if not a life time, to learn.

• Options
    One of the amazing thing about that internet is that each of us sharing that journey makes it easier for all of us as individuals to travel it
  • Options
    One of the things that Catherina said on Saturday was not to be too ambitious in upping your cadence to 90. 85 and above is fine, and to work your way slowly towards 90. She did say not to increase cadence by more than a certain rate - perhaps Chouette or Goldbeetle can remember - was it by one pace per month?
  • Options
    Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    I also have problems with cadence:

my heart rate soars when I try to get it right no matter how much I shorten my steps

I seem to tense every muscle in my body, and especially some across the front of my chest get worn out in a few seconds

I find I don't breathe when I'm counting my steps or running to the metronome

and as soon as I get fractionally out of sync with the metronome, I totally lose it.

Any help much appreciated.