Chi Running

Comments

• Chris

Breathing is a problem for me too, in that if I try to breathe in time with the 180 bpm from the metronome I don't feel like I take in enough oxygen and get out of breath.

Like you said, if I try to breath 'out of sync' with the metronome I lose it too!

I guess it's best to work on the things you can improve though, and the section on beathing in the book talks about breathing from the lower lungs with a couple of techniques. Will try these out over the next week or so.

I think this is really worth sticking with though, even if it all doesn't come easily a the start.
  • goldbeetlegoldbeetle ✭✭✭
    try setting the metornome to 85-90 and then just work on right or left foot landing that will give you less to think about and you can buld a smooth tempo
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    gb,

I actually set it to 59 so it beeps for every third step. I tend to be a bit lop-sided so it's not good for me to have a beat every other step.

em,

When I did the course, Catherina said not to bother with cadence for a while - advice I took very gratefully - and I think I've seen an increase of two per week recommended on the website. I have to admit I've not tried that approach. Maybe if I work on running at my normal cadence with the metronome for a week or two, I can enhance my skills. But I'm someone who can't tell you if a piece of music is in 4/4 time, let alone something more unusual.

Do you run with the metronome in places where there are other people? I don't.
  • Golly

If the cadence seems to high it means your stride length is too long.
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Correct me if Iam mistaken but I would have thought that if your cadence was too high your steps would be too short.

IAn.
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure cabletow means "if you feel as if your cadence is too high for you", not "if your cadence is actually too high"
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, finger trouble, that wasn't meant to be submitted in that form.

If the cadence you're aiming for seems too difficult, then maybe your stride is too long. You're both right - cabletow wrote "seems" and Ian wrote "is". There's a world of difference.
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Sorry I wasnt trying to correct anyone.I've just got the book,just trying to clear up which way it works before I start.

Ian.
  • I think, and I speak purely for myself here, generally the best thing to do is go out and try it and cross the bridges as you come to them. remember chi is about relaxing the limbs around a firm core, cotton and steel. Perceived effort should be less than you would expect - if it is not then the form is wrong
  • On Saturday we spent a good while tilting the pelvis and getting the stance right. Does anyone else find, as I do, that I can't really move my pelvis backward and forwards while I'm running and just have to do what I'm doing. I do have a core that need strngthening though.
  • I find that problem too seems impossible to tilt the pelvis on the move - I can do it walking but not running.

Can you feel your legs relax though? if so you may be tilted enough.

Did catherine do the lean against the table and the lie on the back and extend your legs out slowly drills?

BTW I dont know if you know but over on fetcheveryone.com we are having like minded Chi running discussions - care to join us padowan?
  • Of course there, like here, it is the blind leading the blind
  • Will try the fetch forum too, I think Cabletow is right that just getting out there and trying is the way forward. Any improvement is a good thing!
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Ive just started reading the book.Looks very good from what i have read.I've been having problems with my shins ever since I started running again.I went for a run today just come back and I've got no shin pain.The main thing i tried to concentrate on was relaxing my calf muscles and its definitely helped.The only problem i had was keeping up the quick cadence I didnt find the running particularly easy.My heart rate was quite high so i've still got alot to learn.Having said that the main reason I tried this book was to solve my shin splint problem without giving up running so if they stay ok its going to be a bargain.

Ian.
  • I've just done a 2 mile run focusing solely on cadence and breathing. I find 170 bpm on the metronome was comfortable and I could find a good breating rhythmn but 180 bpm with shorter stride still felt difficult to keep good breathing rhythmn.

Lots of positives from the run, the PEL felt really low and the relaxed lower legs comes quite naturally.

Higher cadence definitely helps the feeling that the foot lands on the ball / midfoot and behind / underneath rather than a long stride landing in front.

Welcome Ian, sounds like you're on the way to solving a problem - good stuff!
  • Hr too high, resps a probelm means your stride length is too long and you are reaching forward.

I fixed both those problems by focussing on keeping my knees down in front of me, ie not bringing my leg too far forward and keeping th knee low, the lower leg then just drops into place at the bottom of my column and I concentrate on lifting my heel up after my weight has transferred through

come on over to Fetch
  • Is anyone else doing the class on May 12th?
    Epiphany step into the light my son and you shall be rewarded

right managed a 7 miles club run and chi-ed it all the way
    before every run Ive been re-reading the book on bits Im not geting right and concentrating on them
    It would seem I was not picking my heels up enough and concentrated on that last night and it all swung together stance, pelvis,tucked chin all came naturally all I needed to do was keep an eye on my feet and lift behind me, even managed to up the pace for couple of miles at the end to 10k pace and that cadance and stance was even better mght even go for a 5k race on Friday
  • Gold beetle I too have found that the heel lift meant something clicked fot me that and the knees down
    If you just ignore you knees and work on relaxing your calfs and let them draw up behind you naturally you land midfoot every time

• There is some really good discussion going on here. I hope it keeps up. I did a workshop with Catherina last year in North Wales and have applied to do the instructors course in Dublin in June. I've not heard anything yet though.

I think it's a good idea not to try to focus on too many things at a time, but posture and cadence seem to be the key.

I like your hint Goldbeetle and will try that next time I run. I'm focussing on cadence at the moment, my stride changes and it was obvious when I did the workshop as Catherina picked up on it straight away. I find that if I take the metronome with me, I seem to settle and enjoy the run so much more.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the instructors course Sue!!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Yes Lady sue good luck with the course please keep us in check
  • IanRunnerIanRunner ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Golly and Goldbeetle.I thought that myself about the stride length when I struggled with my pace.I have to mention that I've felt alot worse in the past.While running my average hr was 162.Im 28.The lack of pain in my shins is the main bonus for me.I was ready to give up running a couple of weeks ago.Thanks to everyone to for the advice.

Ian.
  • Ian - glad it'w working well for you.

Cabletow / Goldbeetle. The visualisation of keeping knees down and picking up the heels is a good one. I think it can be quite hard to remember all of these things while you are running whilst also trying to relax and enjoy it.

The book has a good section on how to learn all of the techniques and likens it to learning to drive a car - when you start you can't imagine remembering all of the things you need to know, but in the end they all just come naturally.

I think Chi Running is probably like that, and that the learning process itself is the goal.

Have read the discussion on the Fetch forum and there is some good stuff on there. Is it worth posting on both forums do you think?
  • Not really we all ought to stick to one, As Fetch is now part of the RW global empire especially.

Is anyone else interested in the odd comparison of videos - a bit like the POSE peeps do?
  • I haven't done a video yet but I'm not shy so I'd be happy to post my video if anyone is interested in seeing it. It would be a video from a mobile phone so the quality may not be great (nor the running!)
  • Yes Lady sue good luck with the course please keep us in check
  • Golly please a~) ignore my last post (csomething to do with refresh and opera and b) we would love to see a video no matter how grainy
    any way i can use my chirunning to get rid of flu???