used to sprint, any tips fors long distance ?

I used to swim and sprint for my school, I seem to be built for short powerful bursts. I'm about to start running again but long distance, obviously building up over time. I was coached in techniques for speed over short distances and wonder if anyone knows how I can evolve from that into a long distance runner. Perhaps you'll just tell me to go slow ! I'm thinking about how long distance runners use their arms, breathing techniques etc.

Comments

• just got back and my sprinting habits duly kicked in. far far too quick and knackered myself out even though i tried to go slow dammit. ended up walking a fair bit and spitting a lot ! no more fags for me...
  • Hi Vanessa

I've recently begun running having done very little exercise since I was at school (many years ago!), I used to be a sprinter and long jumper at school and had little or no experience of distance running before now.

I hold my arms in the same way as I used to while running sprints ie bent at the elbow so forearms at right angles to upper arms with hands out in front - I just move them a lot less fast than I used to, in time to the pace I run at. Not sure how technically correct this is but it feels comfortable!

Re: breathing - again I don't know if this is technically correct but I breathe normally to start with and once the run becomes harder I tend to breathe in for two footsteps and then out for two footsteps, if the pace is slightly less hard I might breathe in and out to four footsteps each. Establishing some kind of rhythm really seems to help.

Hope this is of some use, you will get plenty of good advice and encouragement on the forum so keep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Cheers

Tortoise
  • Oh yeah - and don't go flat out at the start! I often start too fast and have to slow down, consistency seems to be the thing to aim for but I am hoping that will come with learning to judge pace!
  • Not too sure how technically correct this is, but my impression from watching a fair amount of athletics is that sprinters use their arms to "drive" themselves more, and have a lot higher knee lift (probably for the same reason).

Distance running is using a different type of energy production system - more aerobic, as it has to last for longer than 15 seconds or so.

HTH, Iain
  • Thanks guys. I know I use my arms to drive the whole rhythm and I do this too fast. I think if I loosen up a bit and start off at what I imagine is a jog (which is probably proper long distance pace) then I will adjust. I feel excellent today, tiny bit achy but well exercised ! I want to go out again tonight but is this too soon ? beginner schedules talk about 3 times a week only.
  • Vanessa, as long as you have at least one day a week of rest you should be OK. Remember to build up your mileage slowly - if you do too much too soon you'll be injured. How long is it since you were doing sprinting?
    A heart rate monitor may help - could you borrow one from your club, or is there a local sports shop that hires them out so you could try before you buy?
    What sort of distance are you aiming at? If you are aiming for a 5 mile/10km race then your sprinting speed could be usefull. If you are aiming for longer then you will develop different muscles for the endurance running as you train.