Short of time schedules

This year I was short of training time, and averaged 2-3 sessions a week (at least a long run building to 20 miles, and a speed session). Managed 3:42. Same is likely again this year - any idea whether anyone has schedules for 3 sessions a week aiming for 3:30?? Or should I just take a program and ignore the easy days?

Comments

• If you can get hold of November's RW mag, there is an article about a training plan with 4 sessions a week, in order of importance: long run, tempo run, speed session and recovery run. It mentions that you can cut out the least important one (the recovery run), but they don't really recommend that.

The article doesn't mention goal times, but there is a table of training paces which might help.

Good luck.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think if you have good running fitness that you maintain throughout the year a 3 day marathon training schedule is fine.

Why not do as Minnie the Minx says use the November RW training plan (or any trainig plan) and adapt it.

Good luck and happy running!
  • I wonder if next month's RW, which is out around the time lots of people find out if they're in, will have more marathon schedules?

Earlier this year I got up to 22 Sundays and 13 Wednesdays, plus a couple of 6's or a 6 and an 8. If you do the Sun and Weds, plus one 6, you've got over 40miles/week on three sessions. No speedwork though, although you could fartlek etc as part of the main runs.

Best of luck :o)