Broad feet & orthotics

Have just taken the plunge and ordered custom made 3/4 orthotics...usual story one leg longer than the other etc.

I have been running for the last few years and am a very slight over pronator. I have been Ok with Asics 1070/80/90's but I have now been advised I need a neutral shoe for the orthotics to work best with. I have been happy with the Asics and was looking at the Nimbus VI but problem is I have broad feet and need a 2E fitting.

I run around 35 miles a week but I am planning to increase this in order to do the Two Oceams in 2005. Any advice on shoes?

Comments

• Richard, I'm not sure if this is going to be of help but I also have always run in the Asics 10x0 series, also have broad feet and also use orthotics. I got the orthotics three years ago and they worked very well with the Asics. When Asics brought out the 1090s I was told that they no longer produced a broader model so I switched to 2090s and have been just as happy in those. I do about 50-60 miles a week and have had no problems at all.

It is worth going to a good shop though. I switched to the 2090s on the advice of the salesman at the shop.
  • Ratcatcher, many thanks for the feedback.I will try them out with the 1090's first.
  • Richard, when I went to wearing orthoses I switched to a neutral shoe. I also need wider fittings, even more so with the orthotic. I wear full-length orthoses but found I got an excellent fit with Nike Pegasus 1/2 size up plus the wide fit version.

Whatever you do, take your orthoses along to a running shop and try running in them with all the shoes that you try. If you get an asisstant who knows his business ask for a visual assessment with the shoes and orhtoses at the same time.

Hope this helps.

GT
  • same here, nikes pegs, extra wide fit, 1/2 size up, i have one leg 10mm shorter than other,trying built up ortho's for first time (soon as i recover from groin injury!)
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    I'd agree on the extra half size.I've been having problems with my pegasus shoes as I only bought them the normal size, and my toes are quite cramped.

You live and learn.
  • Excuse me for posting a "personal message" here, but Richard (Harrison), if you're still plugged into this thread, can you send me an e-mail (hit the button above)? Just wanted to get your contact details and give you mine for future Sunday runs, etc. Cheers, Keith (B&S RC). By the way, well done on Sunday!
  • Try Saucony as well - The Shadow fits orthotics quite well. So do the Brooks neutral shoes...
  • I use Brooks Adrenaline GTS with my custom orthoses and am <u>very</u> happy; not quite so happy with the offroad version: Adrenaline ASR - the shoelaces are a bit short ...

• Hey, I'm new here but I already feel like I'm in the right place ;) I've had the same problem with my feet. Had them examined and it turned out that I have extremely flat arches. I've been wearing customised orthotics since and have noticed such a major difference in my running. Your doctor is correct in advising you to pair a neutral shoe with your orthotics – this is to avoid an overcorrection of the problem. I carried my favourite pair of sneakers while going in for orthotic fitting. I think that's one of the major advantages of custom made orthotics – you can make them fit in whichever shoes you'd like.