Team Strides 22nd Lochaber Marathon

HigsHigs ✭✭✭
Well it looks like I've entered this in my on-going quest for a sub4 mara (4:40, 4:26, 4:14, 4:07).

I'm convinced I'd have done sub4 at London last year if it wasn't so crowded. This one should be a little different!

Is anyone else planning to do this one? If so, what time are you aiming for?

Comments

• best of luck with the training Higs. Certainly not crowded but enough runners so you are not completely on your own.

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Jane

Have you done this race? Are you planning to do it in '05?

Higs
  • Higs, I did this race this year. For April in Fort William it was a warm day and I didn't do as well as I would have liked but did finish.

It is billed as a flat marathon but I would say there are a few slight inclines but definetly no steep or long hills, the course is out and back. Organisation is very good, plenty of back up and although they don't supply energy drinks you can take your own and they will give them out at the drinks station you request. Mine was promptly given out as I approached the drinks station so no waiting for it.

Due to a recent injury I am re-thinking my plans to do marathons next year, I will aim for Loch Ness in October and see how I do and then think about marathons for next year.
  • I received some advice when I asked via a forum about a good flat marathon to do. I was told that this was a good one cos I want to do one in March/April. Lochaber is now favourite with Stratford second. I am hoping to get London qualifying time for 2006, so hills are out of the question! - dont mind the odd incline. But it must be cold too! I am looking to run 3.10- 3.15.- at the moment I am, but this may well be revised!I have had a look at Lochaber AC website & it all looks really well organised which if it has been going for 20 odd years will be. There will be no excuses of there being too many people in the way - only 278 in last years race.
  • I ran this one last year & would agree it is a nice quiet one to do. I don't know about flat though as I felt it was downhill out and back!! It must have been the heat...
  • Have done this race four times, including year before last, when I got sifted out from London. It is not only flat, but has stunning scenery from four miles or so onwards. Although Fort William is notoriously rainy, this race always seems to hit a warm day. Definitely the one to try for a PB! Will do this next year, if I don't get into London!
  • I'd really like to do this as my first marathon. All i have to do is convince my boyfriend that we want a holiday in Fort William!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Another "if I don't get into London", or perhaps even if I do...................
  • You could do the lochaber half on Nov 7th that would give you a look at half of the marathon course.A few guys from my club have done the marathon and they all like the course saying it is mostly flat with any hills being very slight inclines.I personally have only done the half and there are inclines but not worth bothering about.
  • The Half on 07/11 is called 'Eddie's Half' after one of Lochaber's all time great runners Eddie Campbell. It does give a great idea of the route of the full marathon. It's the ideal end to the season!!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I've done the half twice in the past, and it's a great route. (Unusual medal too, but I won't spoil the surprise).

Can't do it this year, unfortunately, but would definitely recommend it.
  • Is the half over the same course as marathon
    (well, part of it obviously!) Nessie - I spoke to you previously about the idea of doing the Marathon & you said that you could hlp me by telling me where I could stay -can you do this for the half? I'm not sure yet, but it would seem a really good idea to do the half, but I think that it might be too long a journey to do on the day! Do you know what time of start it is?
    Thanks
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I'm also going to do this race in 2005. Any hints/advice on the best way to travel from south of the border.
  • mmmmm think I'll need to put this done as a race to do. Plenty of time after London (shesh as if I'll get in). If anyone feels inclined to start a RW list (it will happen) then shove me on. Flat - oooo now that sounds like a chance to set a new target.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Undecided - the half starts at noon, with registration up to 11:45 (I think). It's about a 2.5 hour drive from Glasgow, and I think the train takes roughly the same time. Or it's a 1.5 hour drive from Inverness, (easyjet fly to there from Luton & Gatwick, BA from Gatwick).

There are stacks of B&Bs in Fort William - have a look in:
    http://www.lochaberinternet.co.uk/accommodation/index.asp

It should be reasonably quiet, so you shouldn't have any problems getting a room, as the skiing won't have started by then.

The half is indeed on the same route as the marathon.

Shades - flying to Glasgow and hiring a car, or flying to Inverness and asking some nice forumite for a lift............
  • Thanks for all this info Nessie - I could always stay in Glasgow & drive up on day, since it is quite late starting. Is it common for Forumites to offer lifts? I wonder if there are any going from Glasgow? It just seems such a long way to drive for a half-m. A Marathon is different cos that is the aim.If I could find a mate to go with me, it would be ok, but I think that it may well be considered too far for anyone to come. I'll have a good think about it & try to use my powers of persuasion - thanks again
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Nessie - it will be easier for me to fly to Glasgow (from Exeter, which is 20 mins drive for me).
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Undecided - I've bounced the thread on Eddie's half to the top of the page. Might be worth asking if anyone is travelling through to it. I think there is usually quite a good turnout from the Glasgow area, as it is a good PB course.
  • Id have to stay over on sunday night
  • Oh good then we can celebrate with a few drinks. I will stay as I face a 4 hour drive home afterwards.
  • but
    not in the Bates Motel at Fort William

stayed there on my honeymoon

we were scared to go to bed-found a pub open till 1 am thank god
  • Theres a place called the Bates Motel as in Psycho, thank god I didn't stay there.
  • ooh - thanks Nessie - this is all too complicated for me - bouncing is far beyond my capabilities! I'm up for sharing or whatever. I would much prefer only to drive or get train to Glasgow - 3 hrs driving. I see others lurking too - w'll have to see what this brings then! I'm new to all these forums & it's a whole new world to me. The only thing is that I start my new job soon & will be spending less time messing around!
    It seems a bit like full-time when you get caught up in it! AND it can make you feel a bit inadequate when you see what others are doing!
  • well, its not called that
    but you should have seen it
  • I'm hoping to give the marathon a go. Not done it before and fingers crossed will be going for 3:30 or less. I've entered the half too.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    but you still do it fellrunner!

I think I'll fly to Glasgow, then hire a car and drive the rest of the way. Can't book my flight yet timetables not out until November. Will stay 2 nights.
    Do you want a lift Hippo?
  • hm

if fellrunner is doing it im definitely interested

yes naybe Shades

flight from brum to glasgie