Options

Achilles Help

Can anyone suggest a running plan and/or some exercises. I cut thought my achilles and my tib post tendons back in June. I was in plaster for seven weeks post op and have only just started to run again. Ten minute on the treadmill seems to kill me as im now so out of shape. The injury pains me a little but I think it should be safe to run on by now, my physio said it was ok but not to push it. I want to do the 2003 London Marathon in sub 3.30. Please someone tell me Im not pissing in the wind!

Comments

• Options
    A serious injury mate. I say, listen to your body, warm up thoroughly and do what you can, but don't overdo it, or you could lose loads of time again.
  • Options
    Cheers Barkles, I know you're right but Im so desperate to run the FLM next year. If anybody has had a similar injury just tell me its possible and im not a nutter.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    There have been a couple of articles in RW and RF about deep water joggers, which is a flotation device that means you can simulate running in the swimming pool. Results showed that the fitness maintained/gained by injured athletes was better than if they had actually been running! I think they cost about £50 and would be well worth it if you are recovering from what sounds like a really nasty injury. I'll try to find the magazine the article was in (yes, I'm a saddo and keep them all) and post the salient points here.

Please don't post details of how you did it - I'm a bit squeamish.
  • Options
    Cheers Nessie, I didnt know such a thing existed. Sounds like a really good idea, although not having my own private pool I can imagine lookin like some what of a plum at the local baths. But hey, we wouldnt run 26.2 miles if we had all our marbles wound we. If you can find that article it would be great.
  • Options
    Good luck mate.
    Hoping to run FLM myself, see you there?
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I haven't found the article yet (must have been pre-flit, so in a box in the spare room), but if you have a look at www.aquajogger.co.uk you'll see what they are like.

I did see someone at my local pool using one a couple of years ago, and yes, he did get some strange looks, but hey, if it gets you round a marathon, who cares?
  • Options
    Once again,Cheers Nessie,I'll check out the web site now.