Any 12/24hr races

Does any one out there know of any 12hr or 24hr runs at around june next year and if there are any websites to browse through

Comments

• the hull one is in July, and there's one in denmark in august (both 24 hour)

oh, and tooting in november

that's about it around here
  • November?

fort it was otober

would be very pleased if it is November
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Hippo - behave, we're doing a 24 hr next year!!

Tooting is October (according to Mr Rainey)
  • october/november - still cold either way

if you are doing Hull you should get in touch with Dave Annadale very soon. it fills up quickly, y'know.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks candy - I'd better commit myself for Hull then next year, enough talking about it.

How many have you done before Candy?
  • one!

and i watched Ed do Tooting last year (well I say watched, it mostly involved sleeping in his tent and eating his food.)
  • oh and i went for a head-torchlit run round tooting common, but some dogs tried to eat me so i wouldn't recommend it
  • having done Hull (in the freak heatwave last summer) and crewed Tooting, I'd go for Hull if I were you.

hot and dry beats cold and wet in my book, as there is a convenient aid station every 400metres after all!

next year, if its on, a few of us are supposedly doing the Denmark one though, as part of a series of silly events including the Norseman, a conventional Ironman, L2B, and some other things
  • Shades
    Im meaning next years, fear not
  • i've also got lots of plans, ideas and devilish strategies by which i hope to up my distance from 100 miles to 110 or more. maybe even victory! victory, i tells ya! (but not in Hull obviously as Stuart Buchan is unbeatable)

i plan to keep these strategies to myself though.

mwa ha ha ha ha.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Candy - yes, I am aiming for Hull and like you would prefer July to October.

You reached 100 on your first attempt, brilliant. I am going to set myself a target of 80 for my first, very difficult to know how I'm going to get on with a track event.

I remember you telling us about the Danish event, sounds great but will do my first in the UK!
  • how do you go about for entering the Hull event, went to the website and has got no info for 2005 event yet. Is there any websites out there or any info about how to train for one of these ultra distance events?
  • i'd keep an eye on the website for when details appear, or maybe phone East Hull Harriers and pester them

i'm no expert i've only done one. training will be doing lots and lots of easy miles, although the one i did was off the back of a fairly conventional marathon programme with no special additional training

the key is to take it slowly - eg run two, walk one right from the start, and
    take 5 mins off at the end of each hour to stretch. you will look like a complete t*t following this plan for the first 8 hours, but then you will storm your way up the leader board as the numpties who couldn't control themselves at the start begin to drop like flies
  • thanx for that candy, what did u manage for the one you done last year? any regrets once you finished
  • 100 miles and a bit

only regret was that i hadn't bought some light, cheap trainers two sizes too big
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Tony - Tim Rainey has a thread 'Training for 24 hour race' it's on here somewhere, Tim's on holiday so it's off the first page now. Some useful tips there.

Candy - like the sound of your run 2 walk 1 routine.
    Could you have gone further if you'd had some larger trainers? I remember Tim saying that feet swell and you must have bigger shoes to wear. At what stage of the race could you have done with the larger shoes?
    I've got 19 pairs of trainers but would have to buy another pair to have a larger pair!
  • yeah - i was switching between two different pairs of trainers, because they gave blisters in different places (and therefore periodic relief). but quite late on i lost 20 minutes because i took one pair off and then couldn't get either back on due to a combination of swelling and blisters. in the end i got the sauconys back on, but burst open some blisters doing it. i think that having some really light, oversized trainers would have been ideal. they wouldn't have done my overpronation much good, but i was hardly motoring so i don't think it would have been a prolem.

i think tim advised me to do this, but i never listen to good advice.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    candy - that sounds so painful, at what stage did your feet start to swell up?

Furthest I've ever done in an event is 54 miles and my feet were Ok at that stage. I would have thought when buying a larger pair of trainers to go for a very supportive shoe, but I guess that would be pricey. I always do my recovery runs in my most supportive shoe as I feel I need that extra support then.
  • around 85/90 miles

other tips are:

1 dont go for the massages. they aren't much help and take too long. i had 4 that took 15-20 minutes each. would have had more benefit taking 4 five minute breaks layed on my back with my legs propped up vertical

2 do the 5 minute vertical feet legs - it makes a big difference (thanks for the tip YRM!)

3 get a crew, 'they' reckon it adds 5k to your distance, and i believe them. unfortunately we were crewless at hull...

• vertical feet legs? i'm sure you know what i meant. there are some handy fences around the track at hull you can lay under to get a nice vertical leg thing going on

the other tip re the crew is get somebody who isn't useless. when i 'helped' at tooting i'm sure i didn't add 5k to anybody's time. at one point tim had to rescue me, as i fell asleep on a chair and was about to teeter off the edge.
  • oh, and:

when you are doing your 'walk' laps, if you do really long strides it stretches out your muscles, and uses completely different muscles from the run laps, so it does refresh you a bit. also you can go quite fast with big strides.

the proclaimers '500 miles' is rubbish for walk laps because its beat is too fast. paradoxically, it is however very good for run laps.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    candy - thanks for the tips

1. I never have a massage, dislike being touched by strange peeps, also have some reservations about the benefits.

2. will practice vertical leg thingy, I understand this is to try and alleviate the blood/fluid pooling in your legs - hence the swelling.

3. I won't have a crew unless a willing forumite volunteers themselves! Am quite happy to look after myself, I fear I may be very bad tempered by the end!

I am a fine walker (ask Mr Rainey) carp runner though, even when tired I can maintain a very good walking pace.

The Proclaimers '500 miles' is a song I loath, and will not be using that tactic unless it's to get me off the track.

Do you have music to help you during a 24hr event then?

I don't have a tent (I understand most peeps pitch a tent near the track), is that a problem - I don't want a tent.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Must dash now, off home to pack, heading to Scotland for the Two Bridges race. Have a good weekend.
  • Hello all, back from hols. Must find my thread!!!
    Now its time to start proper training, but not quite peak training cos my target is not Tooting but the Arizona one.
    Shades, I know some people who don't take tents. I only took a teeny one to keep kit in, not for myself to sleep in.
  • no need for a tent, there must be loads of lovely hotels in hull.

you can put your supplies in a bin liner or a box or something by the edge of the track
  • oh.... i just remembered... i did one :)

i still think we should organise a 12hr.. seems to be a fair bit of demand for it.
  • Any deatils about the 24 in Denmark?