Food before a race

okay, ive got my rest period sorted, i know what im wearing, i know the course. my race is on sunday - 5k hilly. now all i need to know is what the best things are to eat before hand. ive read reports on what you should eat but find personal experience better. So do i need to start eating pasta now? vitamins etc? or just the day before?

Comments

• drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Penquinette (love the name) for a 5k you don't need to do anything special. Just ensure that your last meal was at least 3 hours before the start. Your body has more than adequate stores of energy to last over 60 minutes. It may also be advisable not drinking too much either within 2 hours of the start, otherwise you may feel the urge to go to the toilet.
  • oooh, well thats easy enough done. however my race is 10am, so should i not eat at all sunday morning? or just have a banana early morning (i dont think ill be awake at 7am!) sometimes i can do 3 miles and feel great, other times is like im pulling a truck along too - and i thought it might be due to what id eaten the day before. Obviously i would like the non-truck experience on sunday !
    I know a 3-miler is a little deal to most people but its still a mountain for me to climb!!!

the name is more of a description! im prob way slower than John Bingham!!
  • Penguinette, a lot of female runners myself included started with the 5km Race For Life runs, and just carried on from there, best of luck, and I shouldn't worry too much about what to eat on the day, as long as you have a good carbo meal the night before you should be ok.
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    How far away from the start are you?

You could get up at 6:30, have something to eat, go back to bed.

The feeling like pulling a truck along is more likely to be caused by still being tired from your previous run, rather than not having enough to eat. A banana or some cereal would be my own choice.

• If it was me I'd go for a bowl of porridge type stuff. I usually have Oatso simple because it doesn't put too much of a strain on my culinary skills. Have it as soon as you get up but don't set the alarm, if you get up earlier than normal you may feel mentally knackered which I find harder to overcome than the physical side.

Above all, enjoy it and good luck. Let us know how you got on.
  • GavoGavo ✭✭✭
    I always try not to eat up to 1 - 1.5hrs before a run. A good breakfast may be something without too much fibre. I generally have a bagel & a banana with some OJ & then water up to the race.
  • Penguinette, I'd definitely aim to have a banana, a pot of yogurt and some cereal or toast inside me by 8am and to be taking fluids thereafter.
  • For a 5k just avoid doing anything that may make you feel weak or ill - so do not gorge on a huge pasta meal or drink 2 pints of sports drink or eat nothing at all on the morning. Pasta the day before can't do you any harm and yes I probably would try and eat some carbohydrates but whether it would make any difference I don't know.

I only really bother about preparation for anything over an hour but if you want a couple of jaffa cakes half an hour before you run can't do any harm. If it were me I would avoid drinking for 90 minutes or so before running so I don't have to stop to find a tree to pee behind - but again for a 5k you can normally hold it in!
  • an Avocado Pear, scrambled egg on one slice of toasted wholemeal bread - Irish soda bread is good, with maybe grilled grapefruit with brown sugar and a smidgen of brandy plus maybe
    a bit of chicken breast and a bit of salad, plus maybe a few peanuts/peanut butter

On the subject of vitamins I've started taking Berocca orange fizzy ones - the fact that you have to dizzolve them in a fair ammount of water ensures good start to day on fluid intake front
    ...and if you're interested in supplements then fishoils are worth considering - but a dear one like Eye-Q (from boots)not a big bag of codliveroil from the market
    Good luck!
  • ...and don't forget to plan a yummy supper as a post-race treat!
  • Am I the only person who suffers the embarrassment of running causing 'intestinal hurry' ie the urgent need for a poo - after about 30-40 minutes - even if I'm running on an empty stomach?
    It is concerning me cos I'm planning to do a 10K race soon. Any ideas please!
  • Took 2 loperamide 1hr b4 big race - 5hrs later still no problems - available over-the-counter as arret and similar
  • thanks spacemonkey - practical advice, i'll try it
  • On the morning of a race I have a bowl of porrage a banana and a cup of tea.
    The main thing to remember is to have some pasta for tea the night before.
  • Diana - it's apparently very common - you may see it referred to as "Runners' Trots". I used to get it but for some reason I don't understand it stopped suddenly.

I usually have porridge with syrup before a long run.Paula Radcliffe apparently has porridge too, so I've got that in common with her even if I can't run a marathon in 2:17! Apparently she has honey rather than syrup, which makes sense as (I think) it will release the sugar content slower than syrup. I have a banana afterwards (this mornign in a fruit smoothie - bana, yoghurt, milk, and a spoonful of honey - yum!)