Staying Healthy

Comments

• Slowcoach -- thankyou too :o) I've decided not to go for a wig. I'm young enough I think to carry off the Sinead O'Connor look and for the few weeks that I'll be completely bald I can wear a baseball hat. But to add, yes, I intend to keep posting and updating you all and besides I won't be going back to work until the 7th October anyway :o)
  • Cath, you're a superstar! Good news that the chemo won't make you overly sick, and that you'll be able to keep working too. Have a good weekend.
    Hild
  • Cath - baseball caps are a great idea! I've got loads myself!!! Also, those bandana type things - I'd like to wear one of those myself, but can't figure out how you have to tie it up!! Think I'd probably do it the wrong way and it'll look like and old woman's scarf!!! The yoga teacher at my gym wears one & she looks fabulous.. must ask her how she ties it..!!!
    Lotsa Love Cath!!
    Michelle x
  • Cath,

I'll keep an eye out for you then after 7th October if you pass anywhere near Old Hall Street.

best wishes
  • Hey Cath that sounds really cool.

Fantastic news that you can go to work 'cos being with your colleagues will make things seem much more normal (in a surreal sort of way). Like your idea of being totally bald - if you can carry it off then just go for it but make sure you wear a hat if the weather is cold (there speaks granny Susie!). I like Michelle's bandana idea; I keep seeing people wearing Burberry headscarves so they must be in fashion too.

Have a good weekend and keep on posting.

Love and hugs,

Susie
  • Great stuff, Cath. I'm so glad you'll be able to work - and that you want to. Having said that, you've got things upside down. My job doesn't involve TAKING sick notes, I ISSUE them (or tell people why I'm not going to issue one, no matter what their PE teacher/probation officer/next door neighbour's granny's second cousin's mynah bird say I'm obliged to do). So you've got a note from me for all the time off your need.

I trust you're going to replace your picture with the Sinead O'Connor one to let us see how much it suits you. Maybe you'll start a trend.

Blessings, V-rap.
  • V-rap -- I know that I meant taking a sick note for squirming out of running and not posting progress for today :) Not sure about the picture - I'm not looking forward to the baldy look but having said that everyone I know is expecting it so it's not like I have to hide it - so I could do it when I get enough courage. I was talking to the mr about taking pictures of the process - not as a reminder, more a a testament to what happened. He thinks I'm crackers :)

Redhead -- the baldy look will be hidden when outdoors with a baseball hat or bandanna. My friend from next door has promised to buy me a trendy Burberry one!

V-rap II -- I was thinking, just picking your brains for a second... does this seem reasonable to you (as a GP). Use current sick note which runs out on 30th Sept and get another week to extend that to week of 7th Oct. This will cover the first cycle of chemo and I'll be able to see how I feel. If I'm poorly with it - I can always just carry on extending sickness. But if I'm okay get a note to sign back to work with a supporting letter from the oncologist (for Health & Safety Dept - they do a risk assessment of infection risk - to me that is). Hopefully then, I can cover the Fridays (day after chemo) with holiday days - after all it'll only be 4 doses (3 week cycle of drug one week and two free weeks) and if things are so bad that I need the following Mondays off I can always "work from home" or take more holidays. What do you think..? Does it seem feasible..?
  • Now, when I said 'bandana' I think I actually meant the headscarf back-to-front thing (the Beckhams wear them!!) - I would sooooo like a Burberry one - I've been into two Burberry shops over the last 2 weeks and they didn't have any!! Big rush on for them I think!! And now, there's gonna be an even bigger rush on for them isn't there!!! Very trendy!
    Michelle x
  • Afternoon Cath

You're not sleeping too well are you ? Or is it just that the time of posting recorder's up the Swanee ? Sleeping has never been one of my skills. I find it's best not to fret about being awake if you are. I think I sleep worst when I'm really busy so I just think my body's decided to get some more thinking/analysis time in. I just accept it - if you worry about how tired you'll be the next day you won't ever get back to sleep. I'm glad to see you go on the Forums - good use of nocturnal hours.

Sorry to but in on your question to V-rap but it just struck me why would you need to use up your precious holiday by calling the post chemo days as holidays ratehr than sick days ? Are you worried about losing your job ? Surely you have a right to be ill - I mean you haven't just got a touch of the flu - you'll be having grown up chemotherapy. I know I don't know all the circumstances but I think you really need to save your holiday for a nice change of scene with Mr Cath once this is all over. If at all possible. Your employer has responsibilities for you - you make so much more for your university than you are paid - sick pay is one of the rewards.

Anyway, went for a 13.1 mile run this morning which I've been putting off for ages. Only went because I'd said I would elsewhere on the Forums. I did it in 2hrs 8 mins - I am so PLEASED with myself. You really helped - every time I felt grim I just thought of you and your determination and it got me through. When I got up to the top of my HORRENDOUS hill, and the view encompasses Wiltshire, Berkshire and even Oxfordshire I thought of you and gave you good vibes

Thanks for your help. Hope you have a good weekend !
  • Daisy -- yeah, I'm not sleeping so well. I just wake up in the early hours - what tends ro happen is I get really knackered about 9pm and fall asleep. The Mr leaves me and so I end up waking at 4am - my usual 7 hours but just two hours ahead and a bit broken up. However, I'm also napping in the day and napping whenever I can get it really - I figure if I need sleep to take it after all it's a great healer.

RE: sick days post chemo. I've currently got 20 sick days and not enough time to take them in and I can only carry over 5 to the next financial year. Don't forget I work in a Uni and we get virtually 2 weeks at Xmas when the Uni is closed of paid leave (obviously we're expected to "work from home" on those work days that we can or do hospital visiting) but really I didn't want to lose my annual leave and plus I'll have had my full month's sick pay and will only get paid half pay for the sick days following - so there's a method in my madness AND even then I'll only be takeing 12 days holiday for the chemo (over the 6 months) and so will have another 8 to take for a holiday somewhere :) The reason I don't get full basic pay is I've only been there 6 months and the amount of sick pay is nased incrementally upon length of service - i.e. the Uni only pay the bare minimum of sick pay (i.e - the govt. requirement of 28 weeks and at the govt minimum level). I don't mind I suppose it stops people taking advantage and really as I said, I'd lose the holidays anyway.

I'm glad you had a nice run and I'm glad I could help. When I think of the last time I went to the gym and the grim determination I had that this thing wouldn't beat me - I can understand how you feel - it is a great motivator.

Mr Cath and I are off to North Wales tomorrow - we're taking Oscar to Moel Famau - he loves jumping in the heather on the hillside and so we just let him loose. Hopefully with the kiddies back at school now it won't be so busy.

Oh oh oh - I didn't mention - I completely forgot!! Mr cath took me shopping this morning and I DROVE THE CAR!!! WITHOUT ANY PAIN!!! So guess who is back in the gym this week now that she knows she'll be able to drive there :o) Can't wait. I know I shouldn't overdo things and I won't I promise but it will sure put paid to the dead hours of daytime TV!! :o)
  • OK Cath - your reasoning is sound, sorry - I hope you do have a nice holiday with the 8 days next year.

You. In the gym. This week. What are you thinking of... Prepare yourself for another onslaught of "you truly are amazing" messages - and they'll all be right.

Enjoy Wales. Speak to you next week.
  • 20 holiday days not sick days (second paragraph)
  • Well done Cath for driving the car! And yes, if you feel you're up to it, have a little go down the gym, just remember to take it easy and not do anything that'll aggravate your op. site. Of course you know all that already, so I'll shut up with my 'teaching grandmother to suck eggs'!!! Well I've just woken up!! I was up early, as you know, did a bit of housework and ate lots of ice-cream after lunch - thought it may help my leg!!! Then rubbed some Ibuprofen gel on my shin and lay on the settee with my leg raised and the two nutty Siameses fighting for my lap! Anyway, I dozed off for a while and feel a bit groggy now. Think I'll have a long soak in the bath then re-do the gel on the leg. It feels a bit better actually, so I'm still hoping to do the race tomorrow. Hope you, Mr. Cath and Oscar have a lovely day out tomorrow and hope the weather stays fine. I'll be thinking of you Cath when I start my race at 11am! Lots of Love,
    Michelle x
  • Hi Cathxx
    Can you work from home?
    Mind you, too much forum temptation
    I think your work will help loads, you will feel part of the "normal world" and thats SO important now
    Thinking of you
    All my love ,Ruthxx
  • Okay we didn't go to North Wales - we went a bit nearer home and decided a walk at the seaside would be better (what's that saying about sea air..?) anyway, we went to West Kirby and walked around the marina and back to the car. I was shattered after we had finished. I think it was a combination of tiredness and the fresh air... certainly blew all the cobwebs away.

You'll all be glad to know, I'm not going to overdo it at the gym. I was going to go today but I was too lazy to move my car this morning and so the mr ended up taking mine to work. I could take his to the gym but the brakes need looking at so driving any great distance is a no no. So I'm taking it easy today. Oscar and I are off for a walk when I've finished here (before the kiddies get out of school) and then I'll prepare dinner.

Benz -- yep, I can work from home, especially if I don't have any teaching to do - as long as the faculty office have my phone number they are happy for me to be off-site, which is great because on those days where I need to take it easy I can restructure my day as I need to - plus the extra 2 hours which are freed up because of not travelling to work.

Michelle -- hope the race was okay yesterday and the leg didn't play up too much.
  • Hiya Cath,
    I'm also having a lazy day!! 10K went fine thanks Cath & no problems with the leg - did it in 54.40, so not too bad at all. We went to the local craft fair yesterday afternoon - it's a massive event and we go every year. Felt really sad though, cos everyone takes their dogs and this time last year, we had our Ben with us.. had a little cry last night over him. I cannot get my bum into gear today.. I don't know what's wrong with me.. feel all lethargic and sluggish (I think the medical term for it is Laziness!!). Starting the long slog of ironing things for our holiday now.. YUK! Have a nice walk with Oscar Cath..x
    Michelle x
  • Hi Cath.

Public services...I can just see it! "You have now had xx days off sick and we would like you to attend for an interview to assess your fitness to work...you have a right to representation..." - signed by the human resources manager you spoke to on the phone the day before. Bah!

You're doing the most sensible thing. Try to keep a few sick days under your belt for random lurgies later in the year. If you can save your five "carry-over" annual leave days until next year then have a brilliant holiday once your treatment is all over.

Cheers, V-rap.
  • Cath, glad you had a bit of good news for a change from your hospital visit, and being able to carry on working will probably save your sanity, and I'm sure Oscar will keep you fit.

Do you live on the Wirral, I was born in Bromborough? I haven't been to West Kirby for ages, we occasionally go for a drive around the Wirral when visiting relatives, Parkgate is always a favourite, its the lovely ice creams you can get there.
    Hope you're having a good day, LOL
  • Hey girl, was starting to worry about you
    Hope youre ok
  • Afternoon Cath, glad you feel able to drive, it sort of represents freedom and control doesn't it? I used to love West Kirby. In a previous life I was Regional Marketing Co-ordinator for a Bank and WK was on my patch. I always used to save my visits there for a friday so I could shoot off early in the afternoon and drive down to see my boyfriend (who's now my hubby)! Hope you enjoy your dog walking and have a great afternoon.

love and hugs
    Susie
    x
  • Well, I've had a brief respite from the Lazyitis! Been out for a 4 mile run (read=jog/walk!) - feel even more exhausted now. Think I'll have a bath and put my pyjamas on!! Oh what's happening to me.. I'm turning into my mother..!! Hope you had a lovely walk with Oscar, Cath.
    Lovely to hear from you Susie Redhead - how are you feeling..? Is it Monday that you're having your op Susie?
    Michelle x
  • I don't really know what to say. My Mum has just called me - my Great Uncle has just died this morning. He was 78. He had lung cancer. I'm not sad or upset for him because he had a great life, he'd travelled the world and he's not in any pain now.

But guys, I'm just so afraid. This disease doesn't discriminate and I'm worrying - what if my surgeon didn't get out all the cells..? What if it comes back..? What if the chemo doesn't work..? I suppose it's hard not to feel your own mortality at times like this but when you've actually had this thing hanging over you it's hard not to worry that the same thing might happen to you. I know this isn't my usual positive self but I felt so miserable when I put the phone down and everyone else is at work right now. Mum offered to come over but she likes fussing too much and Oscar would go mad anyway. But boy am I worried. I know it's irrational and I know it's not even the same kind of cancer but I just had to let off steam somewhere :(
  • Were all here for you!
    The fact that theyre getting on with things so quickly for you i think is a good sign.
    I know youll get through this, keep smiling, but cry if you need
    All my love, Ruthxxx
    Glad to hear the chemo crew approve of alcohol, make it a BIG one!
  • Cath, that's what were here for, the good the bad and the ugly, you let of steam whenever you like, I wish I could give you a big hug right now, you can beat this Cath, just hang on in and next year you'll be going to NZ with your Mr.
  • Hey, hang in there Cath. It would be un-normal to not be afraid I think. Take it one step at a time. Would it help to think of it like running where you set shorter term acheiveable goals and longer term ones also?

Thinking of you,
    Doobs
  • Hi Cath.
    It's hard to find the right words, and there are no easy answers. It must be so hard for you to face such a difficult situation qhen you are going through so much yourself. I'm not sure if it will help, or whether it will just sound trite (forgive me if that's the case) but you are much younger and therefore more able to fight this disease. It also seems that it has been caught early. I know there are no guarantees, but you have lots going for you and you have shown such a fighting spirit - I'm sure that will make a difference. It's only natural for you to be worried and upset but try to use your support network, and we'll kepp trying to 'be there' for you. Apologies if this all sounds a bit like platitudes, but I just wanted to let you know that there are lots of us out here rooting for you. I just wish there was more I could do.

Elizabeth
  • Benz -- the fact that they're getting on with things so quickly also worries me. It was a grade 3 tumour with nodal metastases so I suppose they had no choice really. In the grand scheme of things with "going for cure" at the moment, I suppose time is of the essence.

Wicked Witch, Doobs & Elizabeth -- thanks. Alot. You know I find it strangely comforting that all these people who don't know me at all can still be caring about me and what happens. You know the strength and compassion that human beings show towards one another never fails to amaze me. I mean I don't know anyone on the forums and yet, you are all able to reach out with the medium of the internet and show a little thought and care for another human being in difficulty and... it's that which helps.
  • Dont know if youve ever tried aromatherapy to make you feel better, but I find a rosemary and lavender bath with a splash of Clary sage very comforting
    Take care Cath xxx
  • Dear Cath, thanks for sharing the bad and the good with us all. Hopefully, Mr Cath will be home from work by now, and you can have a proper cry on his shoulder. All I know of you is your smiling forum picture, but I still hope for the best for you like I would a sister. Although the quick treatment is, I'm sure, quite a whirlwind at times, it being quick also means that you are getting the best possible care in order to get well as soon as possible. I know that it is often difficult to make those irrational feelings go away, but many things can make them pass faster, and sometimes even put them into a new perspective. Like posting on the forums.
    So take care,
    Hildegard
  • Hi Cath

Had a bit of a hectic day today so I wasn't posting. I'm here now !

Of course hearing that your Great Uncle has just died of cancer is going to knock you for six. Cancer - isn't that what you've got - how terrifying for you. But you know his circumstances are totally different - and even though his illness has the same name it's nothing to do with what you've got - cancer is a huge blanket term for lots of conditions - you're the medical professional after all ! You are in a scary place and you are doing very well to cope with what life has thrown at you. I don't know what to say about conquering the fear. You have so much going for you and so many factors on your side. You can beat this. We're here, we care, and as I said before, talk away - we're all listening.

Have to go now as I have an exhausted 4 year old trying to make a writing book, failing miserably and she needs all my attention to get her snuggled up for bed. Sounds like you need snuggling up for bed too. Maybe a bath's what you need.

Heavy day tomorrow, up to London so I won't post until the evening but I'll be thinking of you.

Thake care.

Oh, and I really like your goals by the way...