sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• May write to joosters and see if they'll sponsor me as I've been spreading the jooster love! It worked with the honey people...
  • Have had 2 days rest, the first time since starting the programme and feel quite refreshed and ready to go again tomorrow.
    Well done to those of you who did long runs, hope you with injuries get over them soon.
    Will be staying in London this weekend, is Hyde Park good to run in? I'm staying across the road from it.
    I will be visiting the FLM store in Covent Garden on Saturday for Adidas footscan and to buy new trainers, wish i'd purchased 2 pairs originally!
    Had a great time at the footy and chelsea were Supreme, but 8 1/2 hours in a minibus in one day makes your legs ache as much as a long run, especially when you're 6'3".
  • Finally found Joosters. Went to an out of town Sainsburys to do some shopping, they're on 2 bags for £1.80. Needless to say, I stocked up!

I tried emailing McVities (jaffa cakes) about sponsorship, they said they couldn't but would post me a voucher for a free packet of jaffa cakes which was good of them!
  • Hi all

Well it was good news yesterday from the physio. Apparently I have Iliotibial band syndrome which gets tight and rubs on the outer knee bone which causes the pain. Although it will put my training back the FLM is still on. :o) phew.

She had me doing all sorts in there even hoping on one leg then the other and from that she could tell that I was heavy on my right hand side, which in itself is a bit of a blow as I dress to the left!!??? hee hee

Anyway the mood is a bit better

Good runs for you all. (on the feet I mean).
  • Glad you're happier Allrover. Hope you've got lots of stretches to do to keep it at bay. Dips has had the same problem so she may have some advice for you.
  • Dear All,

Help! Does anyone have a Timex 5C401 Heart Rate Monitor? If so could you email me off-list, I'd like to ask a quick question... My email address is:

chris@fallt.com

Thanks!

Chris
  • I agree with all the jooster comments. I've run a few 2hr30 runs in Wimbledon Common/Richmond Park over the last month or so & I now set my lap timer to 20mins to remind me to take one!

Although I love Richmond Park it was too much like hard work last week with all the mud etc so I'd like to run along the river. I'm aiming for 2hr45 tomorrow. Anyone know how far it is from along the Thames from Wandsworth to Hammersmith and/or Chiswick Bridge and back?
  • fifidella, do you literally eat one every 20mins? I tend to get hungry and then guzzle a handful, which I'm sure is not the best way to do it.

Did 3*20mins cross training last night and it went very quickly. Did lots of stretching as usual and I'm amazed at how flexible I now am, after something like 7 weeks of stretching properly. My family were very impressed when I showed them last weekend!
  • Hey Fifella
    I run along the river as well. From Putney Bridge to Kew Bridge, over and back along the north side to Putney Bridge, it is 20kms. It gets a bit windy and difficult by Barnes Bridge, but follow your nose, and you'll end up on the towpath. Hope this helps
  • fifidella

Sounds like you do my route. I start at Wandsworth Bridge, run along north side, over Thames and back along the south side.

Those distances, according to Garmin:

Hammersmith Bridge 7 miles
    Barnes Bridge 11 miles
    Chiswick Bridge 13 miles
    Kew Bridge 17 miles.

Haven't yet made it to Twickenham, but that's the aim for the longest LSD before FLM

• thanks HH. not sure what Garmin or LSD are though!

I actually head east down the river from Wandsworth to Battersea Park then go north over Chelsea Bridge and through Chelsea Harbour back to Wandsworth. Today I carried on down past Putney & Hammersmith to Barnes Bridge but think I went a bridge too far! Was aiming for 2hr45m run and did 3hr10m so am completely shattered now! There's a sign just after Hammersmith Br saying 1.5m miles to Barnes Bridge but I realise now that's a complete lie!
  • Garmin is a GPS thing that you wear on your wrist, tells you how far you have gone, allows you to set the pace you want to run at, etc.

I only know because I just had my new forerunner 201 delivered today! Actually looking forward to my run tonight now to try it out!
  • Thanks for clarifying that. thought it might be another forum member! sounds very high tech - I'm not into pacing - it's all I can do to complete my runs, never mind to stress myself out about the pace!
  • just seen a couple of other responses - am new to this forum lark!

Bananna - yes, I do eat one every 20mins but today when it was freezing and drizzling I sneaked an extra couple in - I originally set my timer for 15mins but found that was too frequent! this hydration and nutrition is lark is quite complicated isn't it!
  • Good luck with the Garmin, KH. They are fantastic gadgets - particularly when you beat the pacer!

fififififififidella - that's a very decent run. certainly as it's so horrible out there. 3hrs 10 is way above what I've managed so far. I find going west a more interesting route with changes in park and built up areas on north side and more towpath south.
  • I wasn't intending on going out for so long but I didn't have my oyster card with me so I had to keep going! it would have been good to know far I'd run after all that effort!

I think I will "go west" next time and head towards Kew, Richmond and, dare I say it, Twickenham!

anyone done a half marathon yet? i'm doing Silverstone next weekend and would like to do sub 2hours but not sure how realistic that is - especially as i don't pace myself (but am generally a steady 9min miler)!
  • Hello everyone, I am neww to the forum, but have read it with real interest. i am a golden bond holder running for VICTA blind and partially sighted children.

I have hunted doen some Joosters, my local sweetshop sells them in boxes (slightly slimmer than paynes poppet sweet boxes), so I am going to try the tonight.
  • Hi lorraine. The boxes of joosters are great for carrying on a run but are a bit pricey if you eat as many as I do so getting hold of the big bags would be a good idea if you decide to stick with the magical bean!

<thinks for a minute>

I think I've taken this "jooster expert" thing way too far! I'll stop now.
  • Bananna - what size are these joosters? I see you should only eat one every 20 minutes. I am such a greedy bit*h, I'd probably gozzle the whole lot down at the one time......
  • Bananna - what size are these joosters? I see you should only eat one every 20 minutes. I am such a greedy bit*h, I'd probably gozzle the whole lot down at the one time...... and have to stop off at the nearest Sainsbury's during my run, to stock up on some more.....
  • They're only small, smaller than your average jelly bean, but bigger than a smartie (my other absolutely favourite sweet!)
    I would personally have more than one every 20 mins, probably about 6-8 in one go every hour or something.

PS I was meant to stop talking about joosters! This is the sub-4:30 thread not the jooster fan club!
  • I shall try Joosters on my next run - which should have been this morning but i couldn't face the rain !

Matter of totally irrelevant interest, 65 different people have contributed to this thread so far ! We'll need a big place if we all get together on raceday !
  • And big bags of joosters are 2 for £1.80 in Sainsburys at the moment!
  • Are Joosters like skittles - cos i tried those a couple of weeks ago and they went really hard in the cold???

I'm starting to panic about my training guys - as this is my first marathon, advice would be welcome..

-I did 16.5miles week before last.
    -Half marathon last weekend in 1:56.
    -18 miles this weekend.

then i was planning on doing...

-Finchley 20 miler
    -Hemel Hempstead 20
    -16 miles (or should this be another 18)
    -16 miles (or should this be a slow 13?)
    -10 miles
    -FLM!

What dya reckon? Any suggestions?
  • Well, according to the weathermen, Sunday should be a good day for a long run (if you life in Yorkshire) - sunny & clear. Monday & Tuesday will be considerably milder though - which will be a nice change.

Hope you are all Jooster'd up and running well. I'm still hitting the honey.

Have a nice one (I'll be plodding along tomorrow for my long run - thank God for MP3 players - I run on traffic-free canal paths & they really help with the boredom-factor).
    TTFN
  • This last week has definetely been the hardest week to get out, with the snow, wind and rain.... if you survived this week, then nothing can let you down...

Off to do the Reading Half this weekend, anyone else going to be there?
  • Hi
    Pansie - This is my first marathon and I am really starting to panic, I have done two 16 mile's and I have my first half marathon race on Sunday and hope to do it under 2 hours or I will panic even more. I'm not sure I have been doing enough during the week after looking at this forum
    Monday - 4 miles fast
    Tuesday - Rest due to no motivation
    Wednesday - 7 miles slow
    Thursday - 4 miles speed work on treadmill
    Tonight - 3 miles slow
    Does this seem enough?
  • It's a helluvalot more than me : I ran three or so miles on Monday and nothing since. Maybe a long run tomorrow and again on Monday ? You're doing all right compared to me, Polly ! And I'm running the Ashby 20 next Sunday ! (or maybe walking a bit of it !)
  • Polly, you say you're lacking motivation ? You did a lot more than me last week - after Saturday's 14 miler, all mine has been 'speed work' - if you can call it that - on the gym treadmill. Thank goodness I go when it's quiet or the other members would get fed up waiting for me to finish.
    Is it me, or does everyone else get a grim satisfaction from still being on the treadmill when ten other people have got on the adjacent treadmills, done their 5 minutes and got off again. Am I getting to be a sad runner-type or what?
    Anyway, good luck to everyone for this weekend's long runs & races.
  • Just got in from a long run - long for me anyway ! Ran 1hr 57 minutes (well, had to walk for two minutes towards the end). Will measure the distance later. Sucked on one of those energy gel sweets : it lasted me all the way round ! That can't be right ! Very hard work towards the end : however will I get round 26.2 miles if I am suffering on less than half today ? Ah well, maybe 5 hours is going to be more realistic in the end (hope not !)